't Gaverhopke Extra | Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 106 | Ratings: 213
3.89/5  rDev +0.8%

11.2oz bottle.

**** GUSHER ALERT **** This one semi-erupted all over my office floor (damn I hate it when that happens).

Poured a medium mahogany color with a rather larged sized off white head. Aromas of yeast, dark fruits (plums and cherries), and I was getting some woodiness. Tastes of dark fruits (more than the aromas), chocolate, and some caramel. This one had a sour and tart finish that I kinda dug. Alcohol content well hidden.

Pours a dark brown with a creme head. Nose is the most wine like I have ever experienced. Flavor comes as a surprise as the Flanders characteristics hit. Nice and slightly tart with a cherry edge. A slight bit sour vinegar edge. But I love it. I just love it. Feel is standard on all sides. God bless Belgium. That's all I have to say.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Stopped by Bierkraft on a work trip to NYC, and asked them to protect me from leaving their shop without the "must try" brews on their premises. To that end, I was directed to, among others, t'Gaverkopke Extra. I was told that this is available only in New York, and that it is a Quad style.

A: Hazy copper, amber color with significant white head. Bottle overflowed upon opening.

S: multi-layered smell here, and I am sure I won't begin to catalog everything. But in broad brush strokes, I'm smelling light tart fruits, like apple, along with darker fruits and spice.

T: All of the above mentioned about the smell, as well as sour cherries. This is very well balanced. Not just a sour beer, not just a quad. Lots of different elements are all working at once here.

M: Medium/thick bodied, with pretty strong carbonation and some stickiness.

D: After half a glass of this bottle, it seems pretty drinkable. Alcohol is hidden well. But I'll probably change my tune after finishing my glass.

Overall, a fantastic brew, and thanks to the friendly guys at Bierkraft for pointint this out to me.

1.69/5  rDev -56.2%

No freshness date carved. Bit of beige head and dark brown beer with tons of big haze particles. Nose is very sweet and infact whee and unfresh vegetables. No this is far from fresh and hard to put myself over the point to still try this brew. Wellporty, oxidised, straw, phenolic bitterness a to me a nightmare. No this is too strange to me and can't imagine it was ment to taste this way... though all beers from gaverhopke go in this direction.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Sampled at Kroegske in Izegem. Appearance: Reddish brown, clear, decent head. Aroma: Malty sweet, some spiciness, some brett. Flavor: Definite brett "horsiness", some sourness, some malty sweetness. Finish is very drinkable, with a nice brett/sweet balance.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

This beer perhaps looked the best of the 3 that Gaverhopke brew, and offered a lot of potential as such. However, it was really let down by its lack of any depth of character. Perhaps we drank this beer too young?!. Dark, black looking beer, which reminded me of a Barleywine. Poured with a deep brown head, which soon disappeared though. Quite flat, little carbonation present. Nose was of very burnt malts and coffee, almost stoutish, but the sweetness soon kicked in the middle with a very warming effect when swallowed. Not much of an aftertaste, mainly a sweetness that dissipates as soon as the warm sensation does. Reminded me of a strong but rather bland Old Ale from England. Disappointing. I intend on reviewing all the Gaverhopke beers again next Easter if I get chance.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last