Our Special Ale 2004 (Anchor Christmas Ale) | Anchor Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Our Special Ale 2004 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2004 (Anchor Christmas Ale)

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by lou91 on 11-03-2004

Stored in bedroom closet for 12 years and never cold cellared. Heavy layer of sediment on bottom. I thought I could cellar for many many years, but I guess not as this is pretty flavorless and lifeless. There was a slight pfft when the cap popped but poured with zero head or carbonation. The initial smell was spicy and Christmas like, but this one's all around goner. Nonetheless, it must be drunk.

4.04/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I know it's past its prime but it has to be drank. Christmas in July! As expected for a 12 year old low ABV beer, it looks flat with no such carbonation. The smell is soy sauce and slight vinegar, but has a nice spice note. The taste is nothing like it looks and smells. Wow it still holds the classic Anchor taste though it has smoothed out quite a bit. I mean it's is so light tasting and extremely mellow. There is a slight sour feel to it that reminds me of a Flanders Red. Overall this was very enjoyable even though it has morphed into something totally different from when it was new. There is something mysterious about the spices that make this beer cellar so long. Worth seeking out if any exist.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

3.41/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle shared at Alex's Birthday Bash.

A - Looks like all the other Our Special Ale's.

S - Light spice, dark fruits, figs, oak, caramel. A little more spice then previous years, which helps create a bit more complexity. Not quite as smooth with the sweetness though.

T - Similar to the nose. Spices, sweetness, dark fruits. Tastes like a spicy brown ale to me. Finish is sweet brown sugar.

M - Light body, good carbonation, dry finish.

O - I preferred the 2001 version to this beer, but still decent. I like the addition of the spice to this one but would rather have the smoothness of the 2001.

4/5  rDev 0%

Where was I when this beer was released in 2004? For starters, I couldn't drink legally. I was in my first year in college. I only had alcohol on two occasions up to that time. And perhaps most strange when I look back at it, I thought that wine would become my forte among alcoholic beverages. I never thought that I would be interested in beer, let alone re-checking my vision to see if those were indeed 2004 vintages of Our Special Ale that I picked up a few weeks ago. Christmas Day is winding down, so let's pop the crown of one of the bottles, and on to the beer:

The "pfft" sound coming out of the bottle is a good sign of things to come. Its color is very dark brown, nearly black, with definate ruby brown hues. The head forms ½ inch thick, and settles to a creamy lace which kicks up spotty lace. There's a lot to like from the aroma. There's powdered cocoa, spotted dick, a little nutmeg and ginger. All around pleasant.

I've recently had the current 2011 edition, and this tastes like a mellower, rounder version of that. Plum pudding, molasses, dry cocoa, assorted drying spice. A little bitterness builds and finished off the beer with a spruce note. It's medium bodied with low carbonation yet a moderately silky texture.

The individual pieces are very good in Our Special Ale 2004. That helps make it a heck of a beer. Now what should I do with the other, unopened bottle?

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

2004 bottle poured into nonic pint glass

A- aggressive pour produces 4 finger mocha head sitting atop a black body with no light perception. Head retention and lacing are very good.

S- gingerbread. For our Uk ba's, it's like liquid Old Jamaica ginger cake

T- spice up front - ginger and nutmeg. Toasted malts come through with a vinous streak running throughout.

M- low carbonation and a bit thin in the body

D- overall, I'd say the flavour profile has held up well although not having the beer fresh it's hard to tell how it's aged. Nevertheless a nice presence of spice and a solid toasted malt profile with a full body/fresh carbonation this would be excellent

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%