Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale) | Anchor Brewing Company

Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale)

Anchor Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by maxpower on 11-04-2005

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 240 | Ratings: 276
4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Pours from the 12 oz stubby bottle (I have always liked Anchor's bottles) into my pint glass a dark brown, near black color. Dark ruby can be seen when the glass is held directly in front of the light. My pour yielded a light brown head, not quite 1/2 inch (I poured hard to try to really induce the aromas). Head settled to a nice covering on top of the liquid with a ring around the glass. Lacing is somewhat disappointing, just some clining patches and stringers, no sheeting.

Smell: This one seems more malty that the previous two years that I have had. Robust roasted malt, scent of burnt chocolat and coffee, a little nutty, also something sweet there as well. Piney hops are absent, any hop aromas would be described as floral and a little spicy.

Taste: Again, to me this is angled more to the malt than hops, which I like. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, nuts. Hop bitterness shows up at the end, a little weaker than I was expecting. IMO this is like a good stout or porter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp clean finish, flavors do not linger. This also seems to be somewhat low in alcohol content as well, or else it is well hidden because I am not detecting a "burn" or warming sensation.

Drinkability: For me this one is very drinkable beer, but then again it is in a style I like, malty, (esp. roasted malts). I could definitely sit back and consume a few of these by the fire, as it snows outside, knowing I had nowhere to go and nothing to do and slowly drift away.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

A nice looking beer. Very dark brown with a flimsy tan head. Little bits of head stick to the glass. Smells really great. Strong chocolatey malts and a touch of sourness but a surprising spice in it. Sort of reminds me of Gingerbread cookies. I only wish I could taste it more in the flavor. The flavor is more straightforward, a nice chocolatey malt. The gingerbread flavor comes out in the back and as it warms up. Medium body. A little astringent. And just enough warmth to feel it in my stomach. This is very good. I enjoy drinking it very much. Hope to save a couple to try it out with age:-D

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

Half a shade from black. Very very dark brown with slim edges of red shining through. Aggressive pour leaves a slightly disappointing one finger head but the thick sticky lacing makes up for it. Huge spicy nose! Freshly baked gingerbread cookies and cinnamon. Slight chocolatey malt smell in the back. The first thing I notice is how smooth and creamy this brew is. Wow. This feels heavenly on the mouth. Little bit of a chocolate malt taste to this one with faint hidden spices. This has to be one of the sweetest alcohol tastes I've ever experienced. It's almost fruity. The palate is mostly spice. Thirty-one thanks go out to hero27 for this wonderful brew.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

Nearly black in color with a thick, light brown-colored head that stands the test of time. The viscosity of this beer seems to be considerable higher than most winter warmers. Aromas of ginger, maple syrup, candy, and various spices come out very nicely. The taste is just incredible with an enormous amount of sweetness that incredibly does not overpower the palate. The various spices blend seamlessly as the beer warms generating little perturbations in taste. This is definitely a rich and complex beer with great flavors and character. The aftertaste consists of a lingering sweetness that tends towards dryness. The drinkability is good, but not great because this beer is so intense in flavor and rich I wouldn't be able to handle more than 2 of these, but how enjoyable those 2 would be!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours an opaque black though I can see a deep copper color in the highlights. The rocky, creamy head has a light brown color and leaves a sprawling lace. The aroma is very appetizing and is mostly composed of gingerbread but also includes caramel and some roastiness. The wonderfully complex palate features gingerbread, molasses, cinnamon (along with various other similar spices that I can’t specifically pick out), vanilla, chocolate and a bitter, coffee roastiness, especially in the finish. The medium-bodied mouthfeel is complemented by mild carbonation.

Great gingerbread flavor, roastiness, and a variety of spices make this THE perfect Holiday brew. But that aside, it’s really just a delicious beer. All the BA’s seem unusually critical of this year’s version and I can’t see why; admittedly, this is only the second year I’ve had the pleasure of sampling this holiday treat, but even I feel confident saying this beer is nothing short of excellent. Anyway, make sure to put this one under the tree for someone special! In other words, highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Dark brown. Aromas of chicory and Postum lead to strawberry, baked raspberry jam and grapey, dark red wine. Gingerbread underlies hand picked, juicy sweet strawberries. Angry, charred bitterness snaps at the delicate fruitiness. Purple grapes upon grapes: Black Muscat, Pineau d'Aunis, Gamay, Concord, etc. Irrationally scented. Deeply sour, like burnt, freshly milled pine timbers. Ripe, sweet perfumes of stones, marsh and moss. Unyielding, dry and shriveled, sour finish beckons renewal. Drink this beer warm, like red wine! Grape jam flavors. Grapey. Irresistible.

I went crazy for the 2004 edition because it combined two familiar forms: west coast rusticity and abbey dubbel fruitiness. This beer is great because it is *unlike* anything anywhere. It is the essence of beer that should not be judged too quickly. It was a battle at first (because of its uniqeness), then the light shone. Then I drank it with ham stew. Amazing!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

I've had this beer twice over the last couple of months. The first time in Chicago, the second time in Atlanta compliments of Ding- thanks so much for the opportunity! In a vertical tasting of the 2003-2007, I thought the 2004 was the best,but in a different tasting of the 2004-2007 I liked the 2005 best. Oh well,cellaring can be fickle.In any case this review is based on my first tasting in Chicago, where this year was the winner.

Pours dark brown with a nice caramel tinged head that settles to a thin cap. Aromas of spice and caramel, gingerbread, and that beautiful spruce note that I love so much. Tastes nicely of spruce as well as mint, Moravian spice cookies, and orange peel. Mouthfeel is soft and a little sweet, with a slight bite of tannins on the finish. What a great beer!

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

Release 2005
Upon its extraction from the 12-ounce stubby brown bottle, the beer sets in the glass jet-black with a creamy tan head that is mountainous in size as it’s slowly fades to nothingness, the lace forms a thick blanket to obscure the glass. Nose is sweet with hints of Oak, Cherries, maple syrup, quite a treat for the old schnozzle, start is lightly sweet, the grain presence delightful, top is light to medium in its feel. Finish is delectable in its acidity, the hops pleasingly spicy, the aftertaste dry and long lasting, a fine drinking beer that does improve with a little age.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

Off comes the cap, and the brew starts bubbling up, but not out...better get into the glass (a St. Bernardus chalice seems best) and get it going!

Ebon hued, with a crown of toasted tan, a creamy espresso-tinted 1/4" ring.

Sweet nose, vanilla and oak, white chocolate, nuts, maple, pepper, and more...probably...gets deeper as we go in...and I rather like it.

Creamy mouthfeel, soft, yet spicy. Warm, easy on the palate, and luxurious. Taste is a mix of vanilla and tree bark, with special secret spices. Syrupy feel kicks in and dominates. Feels breadier, heartier the more we sip. Spice and syrup, vanilla and oak, oh, my...or as we say in Minnesota, "that's different."

Might be one of the tamer OSA's of my recent memory, but I still like it lots. They've yet to disappoint me, year after year. Once again, a unique and highly satisfying winter warmer. Thanks again, Anchor!

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yet another tasty version of Anchor's OSA, 2005 does not disappoint. I've had this cellaring for a few weeks and decided to rest my sore back with a good Winter Warmer. This does not disappoint. The appearance is first-rate, with two fingers of dark mocha froth resting atop a black body with brownish tint. The smell is typically curious--some roasted caramel and honey, mixed with cedar and a good deal of fruit. I detect grape, orange, and cherry. The taste is no less impressive, with the fruit most pronounced, but the roasted bite isn't far behind.

This is eminently drinkable, and should serve me well as I finish it by the fireplace taking about animals with my son. Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

Appearance- excellent dark red cabbage tint. A slight blood red color that makes me think of Irish red ales.

Smell- Unexpected bouquet of creamy malt, vanilla and cookis and cream aromas.

Taste- Very unexpected flavor from this beer. Heavy on the vanilla, but I loved it. Vanilla backbone is well fused with malt and milky essence in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- A little sour at the end but as a whole, perfect for a darker ale.

Drinkability- I coud drink a sixer of thiese if the family wasn't over right now. Very easy to enjoy and not feel boged down for desert after a big Thanksgiving meal.

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured into a snifter it forms a reddish/tan head that is silky smooth and leaves sporadic lacing on the way down. dark dark brown/black mix of color. Looks like a meal in a bottle.

smell is spicey and floral with some dark fruity backbone. truly a spectacle and one of the most complex smelling beers I've ever sampled.

Super fine carbonation hits the palate then the explosion hits. All the dark goodness of mollasses, chocolate, raisin, hit you up front then the spices take charge, I mostly get cinnamon, ginger and cloves but its beautifully balanced angainst this dark winter warmer. A bit of citrus at the end cleans things up and the mouthfeel is light for such a dark beer. Truly a spectacle that must be sampled at the very least.

This is nightcapper material. I can't think of too many beers that I would be able to give a fair shake after consuming this. Its pallate friendly but its so complex that anything after this would be a challenge.

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep, dark brown with a thick fluffy tan head from a twelve ounce brown bottle. I dig the tree labels (I might even have to get me a copy of the poster they sell that pictures all of them over the years). Aroma is of malt and spice. I really like the 2005 version, it's quite tasty. Nice, creamy mouthfeel. I had to search out a case of this, it's not too easy to find where I'm at, it was well worth it, and I imagine I'll do the same come next year. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a near opaque amber color with a thin tan head that rises near the end of the pour. Wonderful and complex nose of roasted malt, chocolate, and fruit. Wow...big flavors of roasted malt, chocolate powder, raisins, alcohol soaked fruit, and spice. Just an awesome mouthfeel with a fine carbonation. Drinkabiltity is incredibly high considering all the flavors here. This is my new favorite brew for Christmas time, hands down. I wonder what this tasted like last year when it was fresh because it seems to have aged incredibly well. I also have some 2006 that I can't wait to compare to. Try this if you find it!

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

I'm a virgin of the Anchor OSA this year. Just purchased a magnum, however. I'm quite enjoying it, but it's not something I would drink often were it always available.

Pours to a dark brown with ruby highlights and a nice creamy off-white head. Can't see any carbonation through the dark liquid. Leaves a spotty lacing.

The smell is great. If the sensation of an orgasm could be translated into an aroma, this would be it. Smells like pine, bubblegum, and cotton candy, along with a bit of cinamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, and molasses. I could bury my nose in this all night, but I've got some drinking to do if I'm going to finish this magnum.

The taste is quite good as well. Has a sweet grainy flavor up front that flows seamlessly into a brown sugar and piney bubblegum flavor. The spices hit in the finish. Only a little bit of molasses in the flavor. I'm loving this beer so far.

The mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but I can't complain. Doesn't leave much of an aftertaste other than the pine and spices, but I still can't complain. I love this beer, and I will drink more of it during the season. I'll probably have to buy a case before long.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last