Our Special Ale 2009 (Anchor Christmas Ale) | Anchor Brewing Company

Our Special Ale 2009 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2009 (Anchor Christmas Ale)
Liked This Beer

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

1033rd Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
12 oz bottle

Thanks to @LouisM23 (Forgot his BA Name)

App- A good red crimson/brown pour with a good bit of a 1-1/2 fingers of khaki colored head. Falls to a good pond layer of foam with good retention and a sheen down the side of the glass.

Smell- A little bit of spice opens on this one with some nutmeg and faint trace of all spice. Maybe even a little bit of pepper to my nose. I get some toasted malts as well. A bit of a sweet molasses not wofts up.

Taste- Bam, the molasses comes in early on this one with the spice notes coming right after that. A good bit of sweetness and malt round out the flavors. A tad bit dry with a crumbly pastry dough like flavor.

Mouth- A nice medium dry body with some good residual spice and malt flavors. A nice bit of medium bubbly carbonation.

Drink- For the second vintage I have had this one was much better than the 2007. More assertive flavors, a bit more carbonation and just better overall. I'd like to find a 10 and an 11 to see if better is fresh or if 2 years is the sweet spot.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish brown with a finger of fluffy off white head. There is some good retention and mild lacing.

Smell: Sweet and malty with a strong molasses presence. Some mild spice that has faded a bit over time. Also some mild brown sugar.

Taste: This beer is really smooth. Just a touch of sweetness, the molasses still really stands out. Some spice and mild dark fruit notes. There is a mild bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a finish that is a bit gritty.

Overall: I didn't remember liking this very much fresh, but I'm a big fan now. I would definitely have another.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

1.84/5  rDev -54.1%

Received in a trade via birchstick

G: Duvel Tulip

A: Ruby brown body, one finger of cream colored head quickly dissapating, very little lacing

S: First impression was, “I think I just found my first skunky beer.”

T: Malted vinegar, getting slightly better as beer warmed

M: Medium body, light carbonation.

O: There was a 90V mark on back of label. I wasn't impressed, but would try again since hearing good things about this annual brew.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%