Anchor Porter | Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor PorterAnchor Porter

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

With deep black color, a thick, creamy head, rich chocolate, toffee and coffee flavors, and full-bodied smoothness, Anchor PorterĀ® is the epitome of a handcrafted dark beer.

A blend of specially roasted pale, caramel, chocolate, and black malts, along with our top-fermenting yeast, creates complexity without bitterness. The brew is hopped at a high rate, and naturally carbonated. The result is dark in the glass, but surprisingly light on the palate.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2001

Ratings: 3,713 |  Reviews: 1,553

1.2/5  rDev -70.7%

1.25/5  rDev -69.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.27/5  rDev -68.9%

Everything was set for this to be an enjoyable experience. I was at a favorite pub, ordered awesome food, had good company, and was feeling alright.

This Anchor Porter was the first beer I ordered. I am not usually a fan of domestic porters, but I have found a couple I like. Upon initial inspection the bottling was fair. A squat dark bottle with bright label. Artwork was on par with any micro. It didn't look cheap or sloppy.

The bottle was served chilled. The glass was not. I poured out half the contents and watched a decent 3/8" tan head develop on a full pour.

The first sniff I took of this beer was awful. It reeked of Coca-Cola. I let the glass sit a few minutes longer to come up in temperature. The second smell was just as gooey. I was not impressed, actually I was starting to worry. I decided to taste this little porter.

After one solid swig I knew there was going to be problems. The taste was sweet, almost sickly for a porter. It was the right temperature, but it was failing to the level of Schlitz or Milwaukee's Best. True drivel. At $4.25 for the bottle I decided I should really push through and see what would happen.

The flavor developed much further on the second drink. Admittedly, I took a couple quick drinks at this point to try move to a more trusted brewer. One after another I was wholeheartedly disappointed. I was not getting any coffee, chocolate, vanilla, dirt, or even respectable bitterness. There was nothing redeeming to it. It was offense after offense of a bland beer that hearkened of a home-brew made from 10-year old liquid malt. It was two-dimensional beer horror.

I kept wondering if Anchor had created this porter just so they could say they have one. It tastes desperate. This truly was the little porter that couldn't.

In all fairness, I will probably try this beer again when I can verify the age of the batch and how it was handled post brewery.

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.62/5  rDev -60.4%

God! This is awful. I used to love Anchor Porter with its subtle, slightly sweet flavor. But it's changed. Picked up my first six-pack of Anchor Porter in about three years; what happened?! What used to be a nice, sweet porter has turned into a bottle of liquid smoke. Maybe my six was bottled during one of those well-known California brush fires, but I doubt it. Shame on you Anchor for changing one of the best Porters into something that tastes like a charcoal briquette. Now I'm stuck with the other five!!!

1.75/5  rDev -57.2%

1.78/5  rDev -56.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

1.98/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

Update 9/10/16 : I'm editing this review as the last 3 six packs I've had of Anchor have been extremely hit or miss. Deny my claims if you will, but certain bottles taste off, metallic, or even infected. I cannot place a finger on it. Some taste like straight coffee, others like straight fig, and some just taste like old rotten fruit drizzled in chocolate. I have tons of stand-bys, none of them have had this swing in quality. So it's not just my taste buds. Sorry anchor, you've gone from my favorite porter, to one of my least favorites. I never know what I'm gonna get when I pop that cap. 3.15 overall, sunk from 4.39. The Overall score is reduced considerably because it's a mystery in that bottle.

---------------------------------
10/30/16

I contacted Anchor, they confirmed it was an infected batch. Popped my last three in a row. Tasted each one. Sour, smoked, gross. My whole six pack went down the drain. Just disgusting and sour. They sent me a shirt, pin, bottle opener, and sew-on patch for my troubles. No check for free beer though. Anyways, I won't be revisiting this one, ever, and may only choose to buy their Old Foghorn from now on. Sorry Anchor. I'm glad you took care of me but you still lost a customer for the most part. Regardless, still better than some beers even when infected...lol.
---------------------------

This review is from a decent one I had awhile back :

The pour is magnificent in the tall pilsner glass. Dark chocolate brown with no light escaping; the head is gigantic taking up most of the glass and providing a beautiful chocolate-beige shade. Each "top off" looks like a science experiment as the head forms bulbous and almost overflows. I love it.

Aromas of hot cocoa mix, coconut, Christmas-like aromas of warm fire; porterhouse steak aromas, dates, chocolate-black licorice. I wish it were louder but this is quite amazing as is.

And the flavor brings it around full swing. Oh my goodness. It's very bitter - but let me explain. It's got lots of coffee, smoked meats, peppermint, hot chocolate, with a distinct hop bitterness that stays throughout the taste pulling up acidity from the coffee notes to accentuate the bitterness. This is not for the light hearted. It is, however, for porter lovers and I'm gladly part of that circle.

Feel is super creamy, with a mild dazzle of carbonation underneath to keep it pumped. The finish dries and leaves a coating on the tongue.

Overall, while it's a sipper, it's not limited to that. It drinks easy but to really enjoy it you'll want to sip this slowly, preferably in front of a fire or around good conversation with family and friends. (Compared to other porters : Black Butte is more sessionable and easier drinking with a lighter mouthfeel; Founders has more chocolate flavor and less bitterness but less dispersion of flavors across the whole tongue; Mudpuppy Porter is a malt lovers heaven and continues to be my favorite, but still does not hold a candle to the complexity represented here...)

pending pending pending pending pending

2.16/5  rDev -47.2%

pours deep brown with a 3 finger pillowy head. smell is very metalic and macro. taste is not even close to a porter this is just darker version of the steam beer. mouthfeel is the best thing that this beer has going for it - with a light crisp feel which i feel does not even come close to how this style should be. over all this one of the worst porters ever made. it would be an ok session beer for people looking for a bud ligt of porters

2.25/5  rDev -45%

2.25/5  rDev -45%

2.3/5  rDev -43.8%

I'm rather suprised with the high votes on this one

Ok, I live in San Francisco and have had this porter a few times.
In my oppinion this beer is better the Butte but not better than Sierra Nevada's so i am suprised with the score given here.

If you like your porter 'dry' than you might like this one.

p.s. Anchor serves my favorite lager.

2.34/5  rDev -42.8%

One of six beers at a five person blind porter tasting including: Anchor Porter, Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, Harvest Moon Pigs Ass Porter, Samuel Smith Taddy, and Sierra Nevada Porter. All of these are shelf beers in Montana.

This was the best looking beer of the bunch, very dark brown with a rich looking head. On the nose the dominant notes were vanilla, overall malt sweetness, and something like prunes, though they were all faint. In the mouth those same flavors stood out more and it was overall an unpleasant experience. Where is the roast and chocolate? The body is thin with a slightly sour note like Guinness Extra Stout, with something like vinegar creeping in, too.

Overall, everyone was disappointed with this one. It was the consensus 5th out of 6 pick. I had never had it before and I was expecting a great deal more from Anchor.

2.36/5  rDev -42.3%