Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Anchor Steam Beer | Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer
3.85/5
Very Good
Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: California Common / Steam Beer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other.

It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Ratings: 6,007 |  Reviews: 2,054

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

I can't believe I haven't tried this beer until just now. I have to say, I wasn't expecting anything great, but I was quite impressed. Not a complex beer by any stretch of the imagination; yet, what it does, it does well. The most noticeable characteristic is the bold toasted malt. The hop bitterness is subtle, but does a nice job of balancing out the malt. Overall, a beer that I'd go for again. I really did myself a disservice by not trying this before.

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into a mug..Nice color great smell. Nose.. .some citrus and good roasted malty and caramel scents,

I was surprised by taste more malty than hoppy and just a little bitter on the finish but very nice. Good balance and very drinkable. I would dare to say maybe an entry level into an IPA style. Would be a great starter/move up beer for someone used to the macro lagers. I will definitely be getting more next visit to trader joes.

I guess when you make a product for more than 100 years you do it right.

Cheers.