Anchor Steam Beer | Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: California Common / Steam Beer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other.

It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Ratings: 5,960 |  Reviews: 2,042

A top tier beer I'll never forget. Truly among the finest that I've ever indulged. Smooth, rich, creamy, aromatic, ethereal are just words to describe the joy of Anchor Steam. Even the design of the bottle is captivating. 5/5

4.49/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Anchor Steam Beer | Anchor Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's head is three fingers thick and tawny, with webbed lacing, and a slightly murky brownish copper body.

I smell plenty of bread, or dare I say sourdough, malts alongside a slightly apple-y and copper scent near the end. Which I'll assume is accredited to the historical use of copper pipes at this brewery.

Tastes like pretty much the same components. Nothing bad, yet nothing outstanding either. Kinda just "meh".

The mouthfeel is medium light with mild carbonation. A clean and refreshing finish that I could see myself appreciating a lot more in the summer months.

Overall,I'll choose to rate Anchor Steam Beer | Anchor Brewing Company with a 4.25. I'm glad that I grew up drinking hard well water, otherwise I might have despised this beer. The copper taste is actually complimentary to the malts used here, IMO. Even if this might not be anyone's "whale", still grab this if available to learn some history and experience a part of bygone culture.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Instant crave factor. Light but memorable.

3.57/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.64/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

4.83/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L -- amber with a thick, tan head. Moderate lacing
S -- mild. Fruity lager
T -- caramel, brown butter, hops, slightly metallic finish (likely due to fermentation in copper vats)
F -- full bodied with a light mouthfeel, especially given the intense flavors
O -- it really *feels* like you're drinking America's oldest craft beer

82/100

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.63/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A beer that's named as a homage to past times where 19th century steel and cotton mill workers lined up for miles after their fifteen hour workdays to drink locally concocted beer. These breweries of a bygone era utilized pipes to transfer simmering hot wort from the kettle to a fermentation tank which resulted in steam rising to the ceiling thus giving the beer its nickname. With a light yet subtly heavy taste, this beer is great for many pedestrians making their first steps out from the pavement of watery piss onto the highway of quality beer. Whenever I pass through San Francisco I make it my mission to visit this brewery for a couple or several beer flights before hitting the road again. And really the ability to drink relatively large amounts of this tasty beer while staying cognizant enough to drive and text a friend where I had just been is one of the many great qualities of this beverage.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Unlike a lot of micros it isn’t an explosion of 1 single thing. I'm not loving the current fad of making beers that are a citrus-y explosion (can we cram even more hops into a glass of beer -- If I wanted grapefruit, I'd buy grapefruit juice, not beer).

Poured into a Pilsner glass, for me the immediate aroma is very yeasty – similar to the water/yeast mixture when I’m making home-made pizza dough. That quickly fades but it still smells nice without being overpowering. I find it to be very flavourful – almost bread-like. The hops and malt are almost perfectly balanced. Carbonation feels very light in the mouth. The bubbles are small but there are a lot of them. The carbonation leaves a mild sting in the mouth. Overall a delicious, satisfying beer.

I loved Anchor Steam when I first discovered it back in the early 90's. And today it's the brand I buy most of the time. It's nicely balanced and I respect that they're a smaller company and they just keep doing their thing without bending to any new "fad" in brewing. No disrespect to the IPAs and Double IPAs and whatnot, but those kinds of beer just aren't my thing. Anchor Steam is a "work horse" kind of beer. For what I'm looking for in a go-to beer, Anchor Steam is just about perfect.

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company