Anchor Steam Beer | Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: California Common / Steam Beer

Anchor Steam® Beer owes its deep amber color, thick, creamy head, and rich, distinctive flavor to a historic brewing process like none other.

It is a process that combines deep respect for craft brewing tradition with many decades of evolution to arrive at a unique approach: a blend of pale and caramel malts, fermentation with lager yeast at warmer ale temperatures in shallow open-air fermenters, and gentle carbonation in our cellars through an all-natural process called kräusening.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Ratings: 5,947 |  Reviews: 2,039
3.18/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this last night at The Dead Fish in Crockett, CA. I had a liter of it which was awesome!

Appearance- amber color, pretty thin head

Smell- citrus hops, malt

Taste- light amount of citrus hops, malt, tastes lighter than a pale ale but stronger than a lager

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I have had this beer so much but never reviewed it until now. It is a very good beer and a great session beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

When in rome, do as the romans. I had this on vacation with my girlfriend in San Francisco. After having the Liberty Ale, I expected more flavor, but remember it for what it was. Nice copper color, big head, that settled nicely. Nice taste, just want you want in a lager. Malty, thick, rich and inviting. Hops and bitterness lingers. A little thin, but very good going down. I was glad I finally tried it, and in it's hometown too. I rate it right up there with a Boston Lager, and better than a Yuengling. Not a bad choice at all.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

This is my first Steam Beer/California Common...whatever you want to call it!

A: Pours an amber body with a small white head. There was decent retention, but eventually slowed to a nice lacing that held to the finish.

S: Not much of a smell. Smelled slightly malty and alcoholic.

T: Tastes like "beer." Reminded me a lot of a macro light lager but tasted a lot smoother. Also, tasted slightly salty, which was interesting.

M: A nice, light mouthfeel that was rather crisp.

D: Definitely a drinkable beer. Does not really taste like much, but it was pretty light and easy to drink. Definitely good for the summer or grilling.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

I’ve had this one several times, but I am finally getting around to review it. It pours light copper in color with an off-white head. The aroma is malty with a light hop fruitiness, and a bit of spiciness. The flavor is light in malt and fruit. It is very smooth and easy drinking. It is a really enjoyable, clear beer. This is a beer I would come back to again and again.

Sampled 2/1/04

3.39/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Doesn't seem fair to review a beer in a style that I have never tried, so take it as what it's worth.
Anyway, I didn't really care for this beer. After trying quite a few craft beers in my first year, drinking this seems to take me back to the taste of typical BMC tastes.
This pours a light yellow color, with a thin head. Not much lacing at all remaining down the glass. Carbonation/mouthfeel is one highlight of this otherwise forgettable beer for me at least.
The smell also reminded me of my BMC days, and the bitterness was light.
Don't think I will revisit this one...

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company