Anchor Small Beer | Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Small BeerAnchor Small Beer

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: English Bitter

"We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious--similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"--and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance. "

"We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. "

Added by UnionMade on 11-11-2000

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

3.36/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear honey color w/ a nice white head, some good lacing. Looks nice.

Aroma is lightly malty and floral. Crackery pale crystal malt and a mild hop presence.

Taste is fruity and light, lots of toasted grain hits the palate. Some good hoppy bitterness on the finish but the focus here is on the barley. Floral and semi-sweet.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light with a prickly bite. A little thin, to be expected from a 3.3% beer.

Overall an OK session beer. Not one I'd crave very often but a nice change of pace.

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.31/5  rDev +6.1%

It tastes okay. It's like West Coast homebrew. Kind of like Bitterwater. Not great. I'm just talking to use up space now. It wouldn't let me submit my review without posting a comment. I need to get 250 characters. I probably wouldn't pick to have this beer again, but I think people are little too harsh on it.

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I had to get rid of the last bottle on the shelf, so I might as well buy it myself. This stuff pours a clear tawny-amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises faint old sourdough and what may or may not be a hint grass, depending on whether or not I'm actually just smelling the air outside somehow. The taste pretty much echoes the smell, though now it's just generic barley and generic white bread yeast combining to form the most milquetoast of all possible flavors. I'd knock it, but it's not offensive, just insanely boring and undistinguished. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda crisp finish. Overall, this may be one of the blandest beers outside of the BMC arena. It's not bad, per se, just something I'd likely easily forget that I'd imbibed on any given day, especially if anything else happened that day, beer- or otherwise.

Anchor Small Beer from Anchor Brewing Company