1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Brekle's Brown | Anchor Brewing Company

Brekle's BrownBrekle's Brown
3.68/5
Good
Brekle's BrownBrekle's Brown

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Single hopped with Citra.

View: Beers
Reviews by ChrisCage:
4.26/5  rDev +15.8%

A- Poured into a standard beer glass, and the coloration is brownish, with a fair amount of red hues in the background. It is semi-clear, with some small carbonation seen to be rising to the top. The head on this beer is amazing I have to say!....it is a caramel color, is dense and creamy, and retains as well as any beer will, going from a couple fingers thick, settling down to about a finger. The lacing is decent too, leaving behind thick foamy goodness, but it does slowly slide back into the brew unfortunately!

S- Malt sweetness dominates the nasal cavity, with some pleasant notes of mouth watery inducing citrus hints. There is some fresh leafy bitterness noted on the finish as well. Very yummy smelling indeed!

T- This is quite malty, yet very refreshing at the same time. Sweet hints of caramel, roasted barley grain, and cocoa/coffee bean blended start this one off. This somewhat gives way to a satisfying, lighter tartness of citrus...I found it to be primarily of grapefruit, tangerine, and a lemon/lime rind tinge to it. The finish is a mix of astringent, yet thirst quenching bitterness, with a touch of soft sweetness that ends this beer with a perfect balance!

M- While this is a medium bodied beer, it really has a quality about it that says, I'm thin bodied, and therefore really easy to drink! It's creamy, due to the carbonation factor being mild too...it's a nice blend between rich and quenching.

O- I quite like this beer and will definitely seek it out again in the future. It has a great blend of rich flavor, creamy yet easy to drink body in any environment, and I think it's a unique take on the Brown Ale style.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

Wow, quite different from other brown ales I've had and very enjoyable. Single hopping with Citra really helps to set this beer apart. Pours a deep brown with a large tan head. Aroma is malt forward, sweet chocolate and some citrus fruit, which prepped me for big things on the palate. Toasty, nutty and chocolate tastes are there, typical things I expect from this style, but enhanced with the citrus fruit characteristics of those hops, has a bit of a zest or tang and some slight bitterness is noticeable. Overall I really enjoyed it. Maintains everything one wants from a good brown but that fruit character helps to make it unique among it's peers.

Nose caramel, brown malts, malt spice, hop spice, cola, hints of anise.
Brilliant chestnut brown, 2” persistent tan head, excellent lace.
Palate: strong cola taste, chocolate, malty flavors are slight toast with medium dry finish accented with spicy hops, low fruit.
Above average creamy soft carbonation, medium body, very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, deep, dark, mahogany color with a finger and a half of white-colored head that dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with lots of bready, roasted malt aromas, imparting notes of freshly toasted pumpernickel bread, brown sugar, a touch of black pepper and a touch of hops.

Taste: Very good flavors of the aforementioned roasted malt and brown sugar-like sweetness. There’s quite a bit of slightly bitter hops at the finish, which is surprising, considering how little hops there is in the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to slightly chewy and extremely smooth as there is very little in the way of carbonation. With an ABV of 6.0%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This a good, very good brown ale. Nice flavors of roasted malt and brown sugar, nicely blended with some pronounced, slightly bitter, but not out-of-balance, hoppy bitterness. I like it!

This is malt perfection. Exactly what I look for in a brown ale-rich, malty, balanced with hop bitterness that cuts down on the sweetness, but is not the main presence. Don't even consider Newcastle, this is the way to go. I won't even pair it with food because it is so good I wouldn't want any other flavors to interfere with it.

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown in color with slight light penetration. There's a fingernail of beige covering the top. Moderate lacing is present. Strong notes of dark malt and toffee in the aroma. I taste a very robust dark malt and toffee flavor. The mouth is lightly chewy and sticky.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

not being a huge fan of "brown" beer -- i am really pleasantly surprised by this. i wanted something malty and autumnal to enjoy on thanksgiving afternoon on the couch. this is going down fine!

pours a rich deep amber, a very red-hued brown. poured into a tulip i got a nice two finger tan head -- it dissipated in a few minutes, but a nice pour.

the smell is very Anchor Steam -- this beer is definitely very comfortable in the breweries overall taste profile. full of sweet roasty malts, but subtle.

there is a soild malt complexity in the taste, you can taste the richness of the mash -- it makes me think this beer came from a sweet maple syrup of a mash with a heavy dose of caramel. no real HOP flavor but the bitterness is appropriate.

the drink is solid, richer than a pale ale, it could be a tad richer for my taste, but then it would be something else.

i think as far as the available Brown Ales go, this is a winner.

3.99/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Brown Ale? I guess so. Pours a beautifully dark ruby/garnet with great clarity. Two fingers beige mocha head with good retention. Carbonation is minimal.

S: Roasty malt, some malt chocolate and cocoa. Seriously, smells like an unbaked chocolate cake. Some dried darkened fruit. Woody, with some vanilla notes.

T: Moderately deep roasted flavors. Slightly burnt bread, roasted chocolate. Fairly subdued and bland until the finish, when the roasted notes really take off. The bitterness of the Citra hops comes into play in the finish as well.

M: Great. Smooth, low played carbonation keep this beer smooth as silk. It really does glide across the palate.

O: I'm pretty underwhelmed by this beer. Looks, smells and feels great, but is definitely lacking in the flavor department. Not to say it's bad by any stretch, but compared to the other brews, I'm not overly impressed.

2.84/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Anchor's Berkle's Brown last week for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I don't have much experience with this brewery, I have had their Steam Beer a couple of times but have never reviewed it, I'm in a mood for a Brown Ale so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a cone shaped 12oz brown bottle poured into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it kind of has a classic look to it. It poured a nice slightly dark brown color that takes on a bright copper ruby color when held to the light. It had four fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This is a great looking beer that looks really good in the glass.

S- The aroma starts off with tons of sweet malts that have a slight roast to them. After that I picked up a some earthy hops along with some noticeable fruity and citrus hops that was unexpected but made for a unique aroma. The aroma is unique with the very sweet malts and the fruity hops, but I prefer the traditional Brown Ale aromas.

T- The taste doesn't seem to be as sweet as the aroma but it still manages to be pretty sweet. The first thing I pick up are the sweet slightly roasted caramel malts. After that comes a weird hop combination that imparts and equal amount of fruity and grassy flavors. On the finish I get a sweet brown sugar like taste and a slightly lighter then medium amount of bitterness with malty and fruity hop aftertaste. I wasn't liking the flavor of this beer that much, it sure is unique for a Brown Ales, but I feel like the very sweet malts clash with the weird hop combo in this beer.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. I wish it was a little smoother and not sticky but other then that the mouthfeel was good.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty middle of road Brown Ale that sure was unique, but I found that malts seemed to clash with the hops. This beer didn't have that good of drinkability, I drank one and wouldn't want to drink another, too sweet, and the flavor doesn't do it for me. What I liked most about this beer was the way it looked, the color and head were on point, if this beer drank as good as it looked it would be pretty good. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, I didn't care for them that much and I thought they could have had much more balance to them. I wouldn't buy this beer again since I didn't enjoy it and I don;t recommend it, there are tons of better browns on the market for the same price. I had high hopes for this beer but it for sure didn't live up to them, I thought that the malts were just way too sweet and not that flavorful and the hops didn't work well with this beer. I am going steer clear of this beer from now on, but I am still down to try more of their beers, but this one didn't to it for me, better luck next time.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Oh man this beer smelled wonderful. I can't remember the specific flavors I was sensing, but I do remember it was hard to pinpoint, but something(s) very familiar. Strong and lovely smell. A great start.

Taste: I think it tasted like it smelled to a degree, plus multiple other layers of flavor, which really added some fantastic complexity and depth to the beer. The flavors went really well with each-other, and tasted very fresh/strong. All the flavor aspects of the beer are great in my opinion (yeast, malts, hops, other), but the hops that they used was particularly pleasing to me. I'm not a big fan of bitter or strong hops, and these has a very prominent flvor to them without significant bitterness. It was very pleasant.

The texture was on the mark too, I'd say. Nice medium-high carbonation, but fine bubbles and smooth texture. I don't know what else to say.

Overall this is the best beer I've had for the style of "brown ale", and would recommend it to anyone who thinks that they might like this. Definitely underrated, I'd say! I got this for a good price, too. Someone said they paid 2.40 £ for a bottle, while I think I paid almost exactly half of that (Canada); It was discounted, though.

Brekle's Brown from Anchor Brewing Company