Brekle's Brown | Anchor Brewing Company

Brekle's BrownBrekle's Brown

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Single hopped with Citra.

Added by largadeer on 03-07-2011

3.7

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

A thin tan head on a hazy, brown colored body.
The aroma is unique: roasted malt with a sharp pine injection. I like it.
The taste is similar with a roasted/nutty malt background and a strong pine and lemon bitterness throughout.
A crisp texture, moderate carbonation and medium body.
It's like a marriage of a brown ale and an IPA. Enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

On tap at Cottonwood in Houston, TX

A: Pours a dark brown color with some ruby highlights around the edges. A two finger beige head forms, and gently recedes. Plenty of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Toasted malts, caramel sweetness, bread and biscuit. That big, and distinct Anchor yeast character is very apparent. Very spicy, peppery, with some fruity esters. Almost English like.
T: Follows the nose. Toasted and caramel malts. Bready with a big yeast character. Spicy and peppery yeast. Light fruity ester. Again, almost like and English yeast. I like it a lot.
M/D: A medium body with crisp carbonation. Fairly smooth and soft at the same time. So easy to drink. All day with this one.

The malt and yeast character are classic Anchor, which I love. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.

3.33/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Pours a nice, dense brown with some reddish hues…light tan head about a finger width thick that’s not lasting long…(3/5)

Smell: Complex…a malt smell with dark fruit sweetness...brown sugar, caramel, citrus…this thing is rich and distinct…a full bodied aroma…some medicine astringency…(3.75/5)

Taste: Wow…that’s some serious flavor…malts, roasted malts, sweetness, citrus hops, caramel, lemon…there is a lot going on here and all of it is good…I feel a bit of the alcohol in the flavor, but thankfully it stays in a complimentary role…the more I sip, the more the citrus hops’ lemon flavor stands out and lasts on my palette…(3/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation…some citrus zest on the palette…not too much bitterness, definitely malt along the tongue…lemony after taste…(3.5/5)

Overall: This is an interesting beer…the flavor stands out from other browns that I’ve had…it’s a candied flavor with tons of sugar and dark fruit sweetness…the citrus hops snuck up on me after a couple sips then lasted the longest on my palette…very unique in many ways…it’s worth trying and I do plan on buying another to cellar, but it’s not something I could drink more than one of in a sitting…maybe I’ll get one now and try it in a year or two to see what happens…the alcohol is high and I’m sure the sugars will only sweeten…(3.5/5)

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark ruby color with a fine ivory head that has decent retention.
Aroma is roasty, malty, nutty and lightly fruity, with hints of bread, brown sugar, and a faint citrus, light cocoa character in the background.
Flavor profile of toasted malts, sweet caramel, bitter floral hops,and citrus with hints of fruitiness, finishes with a light-moderate dosage of bitterness. Finish is malty, sweetish, with caramel notes, light roasted malt, and a faint pine like hop taste.
Overall a good brown ale, a little roasted that reminds me of a porter.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at Buy Rite in Jersey City last week, this being one of the few offerings from Anchor that I've never had a chance to review. I'm not a huge Brown Ale person in terms of what I've had but this seemed a bit different than others that I've had in the past. It was hoppier, less "sticky", and reminded me of a Red Ale both in taste and hue. While it wasn't a bad beer, it was tough to pinpoint what category this should have fallen under.

The pour to this was brown with some garnet around the edges and had a decent head. I can't honestly say that I've ever had a beer of this style that was so well-balanced, combining Anchor's floral and earthy malt notes with the typical caramel that's characteristic of an American Brown Ale. There's just enough of a brown sugar sweetness and creamy aspect of this to have reminded me of what it was, since the stickiness wasn't really present. This was quiet and unassuming but had a nice mouthfeel to it and only showed the roasted aspect of it in the aftertaste.

I only had one of these in a sitting but the alcohol was spot-on and didn't detract from the easygoing nature of this beer. While it wasn't on the level of Anchor's other offerings that I've had, this was a decent Brown Ale that was a slightly offbeat take on a style that tends to be pretty conservative. Certainly worth a go for anyone hooked on Anchor's hops and fullness.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: cloudy brown hue with a thick finger of creamy, pillowy tan foam atop. Quite attractive.

Smell: very sweet and caramelly aroma with a light fruity character, almost banana-like. Eyes closed, I'd have guessed this was a dunkelweizen. A bit sweet, but I find myself liking it.

Taste: sweet and caramelly with that same banana like character. Hops are mild but balanced for the style. There's a crystal malt twang at the end of the flavor that reminds me more of a red ale than a brown one, which isn't my favorite. Not too bad, but not my favorite.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a bodacious carbonation and a mammoth, mouth-filling creaminess. Shadaisy!

Overall: this is a decent beer, but it's flavor just grates on my palate a little bit. I like the creamy, fruity, sweet aroma and those components of the flavor, but there's also a sharpness that detracts a little bit for me. I could see myself having this again in a pinch, but it's not my favorite brown ale.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from "stubby" 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Cloudy brown/dark tea color, with a thick head of tan foam.
Aroma-toasted malt
Taste-Toasted malt, some off-putting apple tartness, fruity hop note, a faintly sour finish.
A surprisingly odd flavored brown ale that doesn't conform to style. I have to say that this is the one brew from Anchor that I have not really enjoyed. Flavors just don't seem to go together at all. A bit of a let-down for me from a normally solid brewer. Just my opinion.

Brekle's Brown from Anchor Brewing Company