Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale) | Anchor Brewing Company

Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale)

Anchor Brewing Company
anchorbrewing.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by Daniellobo on 10-19-2011

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a draft of this beer at the Amsterdam Ale House on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Overall not a remarkable beer but not bad. The abv was lower than I expected for the style.

Appearance is a dark red, very little in the way of carbonation. I was unable to see through it but it was not cloudy. Just dark.

Smell was a little mild. Overall it was raison-y with a slight biscuit aroma as well.

Taste was very similar to the aroma. Dark fruit but pretty light in general.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Tasted On: 01-18-2012
Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: Draft
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: On tap at Wino's Depot, Bowling Green KY

Color is a dark reddish-brown and clear, with ruby highlights. Head was almost non-existent, but it was a full pour to the glass rim.

Aromas are interesting with spices and evergreens, combined with a wine-like grape fruitiness. More malty-sweet in the nose than bitter.

The taste is similar to the aromas, with a solid malt backbone and spices. I also taste some tannin, woodiness and wine/grapes flavors.

Body is medium and drinkability is high. The finish is on the sweet side. Overall a unique and enjoyable brew. I enjoyed this 2011 version over the 2010.

Thanks to Brianito for the pint!

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

This is a nice dark beer with a creamy tan head.

This beer has a a lot of flavor. Sweet, malty taste, with spices.

Easy to drink, adn you don't notice the alcohol.

Not a beer I would want to drink all the time but perfect for the winter/holiday season.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

A - dark amber color, nice fluffy tan head with lots of lacing

S - initial smell was all malt and spices. second smell introduced some citrus and flowery smells.

T - a hint of raisins and brown sugar (sweet), malty, slightly bitter after taste

M - crisp, very smooth going down, slightly creamy with a dry finish

O - a very nice winter warmer. the smell is right on the money with the taste, and to me those are the 2 most important values in a beer.

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%

Dark ruby color hides the bubbling well, until you hold the brew up to the light. Good foam after the pour, but recedes to a thin to nonexistant film of foam after a few sips.

Has nice spice notes with lightly roasted and toasted mlats. Can't put my finger on the specific spices, maybe some cinnamon amogst others, but the spices and malt aromas come together very well.

Roasted and toasted malts combine with various spices and flavors to make for what I consider to be the quintessential Winter Warmer ale.

Spicey yet malt forward palate. This is a great buy for the X-Mas Season. A beer that can be enjoyed again and again, by yourself, or with those you care about.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a pint glass. I've drank 12 bottles since Thanksgiving, the last one today.

A- pours a very dark brown with a creamy tan 2-plus finger head. Not much lacing.

S-Other reviewers cover lots of scents, I had trouble nailing it down. Roasted malt and a touch of anise are what I gather.

T-malts with a hint of chocolate and anise. There are no strong hop flavors to me.

M-Good feel for a holiday/winter brew. Cool on the lip, warm on the tounge. Just right.

O-I don't know if I nailed the flavor precisely but I offer this...It tastes good and it's another solid offering from a steady brewery. _

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Dark brown color, seemingly black, but you can see a deep glowing amber through it when held in the light. Medium head of tan foam rises after the pour, but quickly settles. Dominant fruit notes in the smell, with suggestions of gingerbread, licorice and other spice. The aroma is just what I expect from the OSA, and though the recipe changes each year, it always seems pretty much the same to me.

Lightly dry, cinnamon-raisin bread malt up front, with some tangy dark fruit to pair. Finishes somewhat bitter, with a touch of astringence. I feel like they were a bit heavy handed with the hops, which for this malty/spiced beer doesn't work. Two months ago I really noticed a more significant hop presence on this beer than in past years, and now the freshness has faded some but the bitterness is still there. Medium body, nice carbonation.

Not my favorite vintage, but like I said every year it's pretty much along the same lines. Although I can't give it an excellent rating, this beer is one of my favorite holiday ales nevertheless, and I still stock up on some every winter.

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look – very very dark amber red, with about two fingers’ worth of dark khaki-colored foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell – spicy-smelling, probably nutmeg and something else. But not overwhelming.

Taste – bitter spiciness from the very beginning. The bite of the bitterness hits the side of the palate before you can even taste anything. The spiciness is next, and after that the whole mouth is afire of flavor from it (to be clear, not hot). Then a muskiness takes over into the finish, but even then it’s not that pungent. Spice lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – a little low and leaning a little bit more toward the creamier side.

Overall – not a bad brew at all, worth tasting, but not terribly interesting.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Very dark reddish brown. Off-white head. Good apparent carbonation

S- Sweet breadiness, cinnamon, clove. A hint of oaky vanilla

T- Tastes much like the aroma. Sweet malt creaminess with nice winter spices to back it up. Leaves a gingerbread taste at the end. Good full mouthfeel.

O- This is a classic winter warmer. Wish I had reviewed past releases to compare and contrast. A wonderful seasonal that should be a staple during anyone's holiday.

Our Special Ale 2011 (Anchor Christmas Ale) from Anchor Brewing Company