Anchor Zymaster Series No.2: Mark's Mild | Anchor Brewing Company

anchorbrewing.com

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Added by drabmuh on 08-03-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

If Poppy Jasper was the appetizer, then I thought that the Zymaster Mild would make an excellent compliment to an apple crepe. Unfortunately, something wrong occured. On to the beer:

I can't complain about a ruby brown color with crimson hues and a good looking head. The aroma worried me. The mild is usually soft, but you can find a sweet aroma without too much digging. In the Zymaster, I had to dig for a long time to find any trace of malt. In fact, I think I smelled more of a mineralic note than malt.

I may have well ordered some water instead. There's almost no taste to speak of. The best aspect was that the beer wasn't repulsive, as some low scoring beers tend to be. Very (and I use the term lightly) light in the malt department, and very light with fruity esters. And that's it. Despite the lack fo taste, the body wasn't like water. Light, but with a little meat, and with gentle carbonation, probably helped me finish the pint.

I wound up exteremly underwhelmed with the Zymaster Mild. I've had several milds up to now, and this is easily the worst that I've had. That's something that I thought I would never write about an Anchor product, but this was not for me.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

This pours a light amber tan with nice foaming. There’s a light malt aroma atop. Lots of caramel malt. Tastes sweet and malty. Nicely smooth and it can stand up to warming. Mild, easy-going, but not terribly exciting. I hate to say it but I don’t get what all the praise for this one (in the region, not on BA) is about.

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.46/5  rDev -3.4%

Mark apparently set out to craft a mild ale. Success. This two-shades-darker-than-tawny beverage formed a smart and refined, tan and foamy head that kept calm and carried on.

A deep sniff caught light brown sugar and bread.

It traveled smoothly and left the campsite clean. Allowed to linger on the palate though, it showed its effervescence and some very restrained fruit; I'm not sure if it was from the hops or from the yeast. My guess is the yeast.

I would happily drink another at this moment.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

On draught at City Beer, Mark's Mild is a dark auburn with a small off-white head leaving light lace.

Smell is modest, some malt, a touch sour, loads of bread dough.

Taste is malty, some biscuit, smooth.

Mouthfeel is dry, medium bodied.

Drinkability is fine. I'm not a big fan of this style, but this is well executed, smooth and clean, with a lot of flavor.

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Churchkey served in a snifter. Beer is brown and clear with a tan head, one finger, mild retention, low carbonation, no lacing.

Aroma is sweet, caramel, mild.

Beer is almost holiday spicy in a way, light in body, sweet, burned sugar, nice caramel, sweetness. Overall a nice beer but it falls a little flat. The finish is mildly unpleasant with a roasty grainness that makes me not want to drink a lot of it. Low in alcohol at least but not a repeat.

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Draft into a pint glass at San Diego Brewing Co. on Aug. 17, 2012 (for $5?), in San Diego. Poured an amber, reddish brown with about one finger (when I got it) of grayish tan head. Looked good on the top. Average retention on the way down.

Smelled chocolate milk, cocoa, caramel and toffee. Very malty.

Tasted a lighter version of the smell. Got toffee, caramel and chocolate milk, all light. Very smooth ending.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Smooth, abrupt finish. Went down nicely. Was surprised how much was gone before I knew it.

A good way to start the night. This beer was nice and smooth. I would have it again. My slight cold may have hurt or helped this rating as well.

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

16 ounce pint - $6.50 at Taco Mac (Prado location) in Sandy Springs, Georgia.

Appearance: Dark amber-hued body, clear, and with a half-inch of off-white foam.

Smell: Fruitiness forward, apple mainly, followed by charred breadcrusts, roasted grain, and a little bit of dark brown sugar.

Taste: Roasty, toasty malts with a hefty pinch of brown sugar lands on the tongue simultaneously. Lightly herbal quality, just enough bitterness to be had. Scant fruitiness of apple, raisin. Lowly fruity, malty finish that leisurely dries out.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Now drink up and enjoy. (By that I mean, I will drink up and enjoy.) Sorta seemed like a Brekle's lite.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast