Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 10-13-2002

Reviews by ark57:
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

It pours a dark brown with a lightish tinge around the edges and a light tan head. The aroma is buttery with some caramel and toffee, yet it is clean. The taste has some butter, caramel, some chocolate and is slightly sweet with a mild spiciness. There is low hops and bitterness, but it is smooth, clean and refreshing.

This is easily one of my favorite beers in the world. Up there with, maybe even ahead of, Augustiner. Regardless, it is an incredible session beer.

Now, of course, a LOT of the enjoyment of this beer is the experience of where you're drinking it. With the accordion player or oompah loompah duo playing tunes, the servers constantly bringing you new glasses because they know you want one before you do, the other servers cajoling you into shots of cinnamon schnapps, and the beer cheese appetizer, you can't help but love this beer. Great color, great head, great smell, great feel, incredible taste.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace "U Fleků Flekovský Tmavý Ležák 13°"
on tap at the brewery

My story: I was in Prague for New Year's Eve, 2013. Possibly a bad idea, possibly not, but I didn't really have much choice about it. The streets were crowded with people, many of which were Russian tourists, mainly male, and seemingly university students. They traveled in groups and always seemed to be a little bit drunk and stupid or hungover, and they were hard to avoid unless you tucked into some small restaurant or bar. I'd found some good places but I was a little trepidatious about visiting U Fleků as it's such a tourist destination - would it be like Oktoberfest in München with tables full of roaring Russian students? Hmmm? (Haha! In the end a little bit of that it true, but I don't know if it was Russians, an they weren't out of hand at all, but they were certainly having a very good time as I passed by their room on my way to the toilette). As suspected, upon arrival, even early in the day, there was a line, but I guess that might be common, and especially during a high tourist season - but there weren't any throngs of young Russian guys anywhere to be seen, so we were golden. There were some Brits, some Germans, and what I think were a few French girls ahead of us, but also a lot of what seem to be Czechs or locals around us as well. Fortunately the line moved fairly quickly as they were quite adept at handling the crowds, and my wife and I were able to get a spot at a table, right on the end of a table in the first room to the left as you enter. A server quickly appeared - Beer? Yes, two. There was no question as to what it would have been as there's only one available, but I of course needed to explain that to my wife after I'd ordered. A few minutes later, perhaps five, the beers were delivered in what I believe were pint-sized dimpled mugs. The beer was a dark brown, too dark to equate it with any color of wood, but not quite "black" either, and they had big creamy off-white heads on top of them. The aroma suggested dark roasted malts, with bready and dark cocoa-ish notes. I was waiting to see if the head would drop, but it was slow going, and so I took a sip. Nice. It was exactly as the nose had suggested without being more, and there were some herbal and grassy hops in the background. It's wasn't sweet, but there was some sweetness to the malt, nor was it too bitter - perfectly balanced. It was bready, gently caramelish and nutty, even toffee-ish, with a hint of cocoa and a light suggestion of roastiness. It was medium to medium-full in body with a soft carbonation. It was reminiscent of some of the beers that I had on my first night at U Medvídků, and even some of the beers that I had the night before at Pivovar U Tří Růží, and I had to wonder why that was. Was it the malt coming in from the surrounding countryside? Or was it the yeast that they were using? Or was is it their fermentation schedule, perhaps fermenting their ales a bit cooler and longer than usual? I don't know but it was a pleasant beer that was very rounded, and not at all biting, but balanced by a firm bitterness. With just a nod of the head to the waiter another round was brought; and then we ordered some beef goulash and something else that I don't recall, perhaps a potato dish. The food was basic, and there's no accoutrement included, but you get what you pay for. And that worked out well as we only need a snack, and I was fairly sated except that I desired just one more of those beers! While waiting we were gently accosted by women selling schnapps, but we didn't need those, and that last beer was just as fantastic as the first. You can chalk that up to the experience if you want, but I'll chalk it up to being a great beer.

4.73/5  rDev +10.8%

A = Dark, almost pitch black other than the cherry oak edges in the light. A nice 2-3 finger light brown (nutmeg/cinnamon) colored head that sticks around in the early going.

S = Smells like a stout from the start - roasted nuts, caramel, coffee, chocolate and the slightest hint of hops

T = Tastes like a stout - coffee and chocolate along with some smooth caramelized nuts throughout. Grain/earthiness is subdued but there to show you some of the beer's lager side and the hops kick in in the back third for a nice balance

M = Phenomenally smooth with medium carbonation, fills the whole mouth, the tiny bubbles give the beer some volume and makes it almost feel grainy. Would have to say one of the best feeling beers tasted to date.

D = Incredibly drinkable. It's a stout soul in a dark lager's glass! Delicious flavors balanced by the subtle hops and the perfect mouthfeel make this beer drinkable all night and then some.

Did not even know Prague had the very dark lagers until I stumbled onto this beer. Even thought it was a stout at first, that's how similar it smelled, tasted, and felt. Would have to say this beer even beats out many stouts at what they do best.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at U Fleků, Prague, Czech Republic

A: The beer is very dark amber (near black) in color and poured with a two finger high beige head. The head has good retention properties and took a look time to die down and also left lacy rings of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of chocolate malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of dark malts and chocolate. There is a little bit of sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer goes down very smoothly and is very sessionable.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

As someone else said, I too was tired of drinking all the Pils so popular in Czech and Eastern Europe so when I walked in this place I was in heaven. Poured a dark brown color with a nice tan head. Nose was strong of roasted malt, which was welcoming. Also had notes of coffee and maybe some caramel. I came here several nights in a row and drank a lot of this. The drinkabilty is so high that even some friends who dont normally like "dark" beer were quaffing these down. I miss this beer.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

The beers actual name is "Flek" and it is truly something special. The beer pours a deep brown with a gorgeous pillowy off white head. The head lasted nearly the whole beer and left a gorgeous lace.

Smell is sweet, mostly malty. A few undercurrents but not much from the smell.

Taste is fantastic. I expected sweet and found a brew both complex and rewarding. slightly roasted but not heavily. Just the right sweet and bitter. A great brew.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth. Both the flavors and carbonations work well.

Really a great beer. If you make it to prague make sure to hit U Fleku just for the beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I finally made it to U Fleko on a recent trip and wasn't disapointed.
Probably the most expensive glass of beer you'll find in Prague but worth it.
Very sweet in taste and almost black in color this is a beer that merits a special trip if your ever near the pub.
The best dark beer in CZ to be sure.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught at U Fleku. Served too cold. Very dark brown, nearly black colour - impenetrable for light. Moderate creamy tan head. Lovely aroma of leather and oak, dark chocolate and liquorice. Flavour is malty and moderately roasty, notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Never mind the inflated prices (by Czech standards), this beer is a must (at least once). And the liqueur we were forced to buy (which I drank AFTER the beer) actually tasted not-too-bad.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Well, everyone said I had to try this one in Prague, and they were right. Probably my second favorite beer there.

This stuff looks quite good, deep deep, color, almost black, with a nice tan head to top it off. Smells good, lots of roasted malts, and a bit of coffee and chocolate thrown in as well. The taste is quite good as well. Nice clean and crisp as a lager should be, but with a hefty amount of flavor. Lots of roasted flavors with a bit of hoppy goodness to round it out. Medium carbonation. I could drink this stuff all night if it weren't so expensive. All around an excellent beer and definitely a must try while you're in prague.

3.63/5  rDev -15%

Huge, huge thanks to HJJH for getting this 1L growler out my way. Big surprise that they filled growlers of. Thought this was a DONG I'd have to wait awhile to try. Currently the #1 Euro Dark Lager. Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip.

Pours a dark brown with a light tan head and a bit of lacing. Thin collar. The nose brings a slight amount of roast as well as some mild hops and a slight acidic cherry character. The flavor is mostly malty with a bit of roast and some noticeable Continental hops. A bit of cherry there as well. Light body and slight acidity. Not bad at all, but not quite as good as the Moonlight dark lagers that I've come across. Interesting flavor and profile, though it doesn't quite measure up.

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Dark brown, clear, with a three finger head. Great retention and lacing. Toffee aromas and some molasses
Roasted malt goodness here, with little to no bitterness to get in the way. Caramel, toffee, watery coffee, and a hint of spiciness or liquirice. Very easy mouthfeel.

Finishes smooth and clean. Not too dry or sweet. Not that you'd notice though, since the waiter will have given you another before you've put the empty glass down...

4.57/5  rDev +7%

I visited the brewery with a couple of friends and after an exceptional guided tour we went to sample the beer. I sampled the beer slowly and found it to be incredibly smooth yet somewhat nutty; smokey and a little stout finish.

I was very surprised of the taste. It was not a traditional heavy dark beer as the smoothness was very similar to a good German larger ala Paulaner. I was very impressed with the mix of dark ale with a larger attitude in disguise. This proved to be very good as my non dark ale friends enjoyed it immensely.

This beer is very good for geting people into dark ale. Just a shame they don't export it. I picked up a glass and another for a mate at the shop.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Here's the major (and perhaps only) reason to visit U Flecku.

Rocky beige head that leaves ring lace after each sip. Near black color where some light would come through the edge of the glass.

Strong yeast aroma with a darker (crystal or chocolate?) malt smell.

A complex blend of darker malt flavors. I can detect black patent grains. There is a good shot of hops at the swallow. The body is moderate with an above average level of carbonation. Frankly, this is a delicious treat.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Dark brown with a tan head; liquorice, roast and cream aroma; bitterish taste with coffee, hop, raisin and liquorice aromas; bitterish finish with sweet coffee aromas.

Beautiful, unfiltered dark beer with very complex flavours. Has, if anything, improved since the brewery renovation in the mid-1980's. A good example of a Dunkles Maerzen, a style rare outside the Czech Republic and Franconia.

3.5/5  rDev -18%