U Fleku Dark Lager | U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace

ufleku.cz

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 10-13-2002

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace "U Fleků Flekovský Tmavý Ležák 13°"
on tap at the brewery

My story: I was in Prague for New Year's Eve, 2013. Possibly a bad idea, possibly not, but I didn't really have much choice about it. The streets were crowded with people, many of which were Russian tourists, mainly male, and seemingly university students. They traveled in groups and always seemed to be a little bit drunk and stupid or hungover, and they were hard to avoid unless you tucked into some small restaurant or bar. I'd found some good places but I was a little trepidatious about visiting U Fleků as it's such a tourist destination - would it be like Oktoberfest in München with tables full of roaring Russian students? Hmmm? (Haha! In the end a little bit of that it true, but I don't know if it was Russians, an they weren't out of hand at all, but they were certainly having a very good time as I passed by their room on my way to the toilette). As suspected, upon arrival, even early in the day, there was a line, but I guess that might be common, and especially during a high tourist season - but there weren't any throngs of young Russian guys anywhere to be seen, so we were golden. There were some Brits, some Germans, and what I think were a few French girls ahead of us, but also a lot of what seem to be Czechs or locals around us as well. Fortunately the line moved fairly quickly as they were quite adept at handling the crowds, and my wife and I were able to get a spot at a table, right on the end of a table in the first room to the left as you enter. A server quickly appeared - Beer? Yes, two. There was no question as to what it would have been as there's only one available, but I of course needed to explain that to my wife after I'd ordered. A few minutes later, perhaps five, the beers were delivered in what I believe were pint-sized dimpled mugs. The beer was a dark brown, too dark to equate it with any color of wood, but not quite "black" either, and they had big creamy off-white heads on top of them. The aroma suggested dark roasted malts, with bready and dark cocoa-ish notes. I was waiting to see if the head would drop, but it was slow going, and so I took a sip. Nice. It was exactly as the nose had suggested without being more, and there were some herbal and grassy hops in the background. It's wasn't sweet, but there was some sweetness to the malt, nor was it too bitter - perfectly balanced. It was bready, gently caramelish and nutty, even toffee-ish, with a hint of cocoa and a light suggestion of roastiness. It was medium to medium-full in body with a soft carbonation. It was reminiscent of some of the beers that I had on my first night at U Medvídků, and even some of the beers that I had the night before at Pivovar U Tří Růží, and I had to wonder why that was. Was it the malt coming in from the surrounding countryside? Or was it the yeast that they were using? Or was is it their fermentation schedule, perhaps fermenting their ales a bit cooler and longer than usual? I don't know but it was a pleasant beer that was very rounded, and not at all biting, but balanced by a firm bitterness. With just a nod of the head to the waiter another round was brought; and then we ordered some beef goulash and something else that I don't recall, perhaps a potato dish. The food was basic, and there's no accoutrement included, but you get what you pay for. And that worked out well as we only need a snack, and I was fairly sated except that I desired just one more of those beers! While waiting we were gently accosted by women selling schnapps, but we didn't need those, and that last beer was just as fantastic as the first. You can chalk that up to the experience if you want, but I'll chalk it up to being a great beer.

4.14/5  rDev -3%

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Delicious! Would love to properly review this, but had it yesterday.

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

4.12/5  rDev -3.5%

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

4.4/5  rDev +3%

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

I know the place is touristy and overpriced, but I had to bring Alewife here once, S she had neveer been. Hell, I had only been once, way back in 1991. We each had a 0.4l mug, at 59CZK per, about $3.30 at the moment.

My short, dimpled mug was filled with a deep, dark, almost opaque mahogany brew. The heasd was a lovely rocky, foamy mocha-hued mass of foam, which lasted well and left great lace. Nose had nice choco notes, with some roasty action. Feel was smoth and medium; nuf ced.

A touch of light sweetness alit on the palate, with subtle cocoa powder and dark choco action following. Had a smidge of roastyness and a little bitterness following. The choco notes lingered well, like a mocha milkshake. Quite nice! Zum wohl!

4.01/5  rDev -7.6%