U Fleku Dark Lager | U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 10-13-2002

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at U Fleků, Prague, Czech Republic

A: The beer is very dark amber (near black) in color and poured with a two finger high beige head. The head has good retention properties and took a look time to die down and also left lacy rings of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of chocolate malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of dark malts and chocolate. There is a little bit of sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer goes down very smoothly and is very sessionable.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace "U Fleků Flekovský Tmavý Ležák 13°"
on tap at the brewery

My story: I was in Prague for New Year's Eve, 2013. Possibly a bad idea, possibly not, but I didn't really have much choice about it. The streets were crowded with people, many of which were Russian tourists, mainly male, and seemingly university students. They traveled in groups and always seemed to be a little bit drunk and stupid or hungover, and they were hard to avoid unless you tucked into some small restaurant or bar. I'd found some good places but I was a little trepidatious about visiting U Fleků as it's such a tourist destination - would it be like Oktoberfest in München with tables full of roaring Russian students? Hmmm? (Haha! In the end a little bit of that it true, but I don't know if it was Russians, an they weren't out of hand at all, but they were certainly having a very good time as I passed by their room on my way to the toilette). As suspected, upon arrival, even early in the day, there was a line, but I guess that might be common, and especially during a high tourist season - but there weren't any throngs of young Russian guys anywhere to be seen, so we were golden. There were some Brits, some Germans, and what I think were a few French girls ahead of us, but also a lot of what seem to be Czechs or locals around us as well. Fortunately the line moved fairly quickly as they were quite adept at handling the crowds, and my wife and I were able to get a spot at a table, right on the end of a table in the first room to the left as you enter. A server quickly appeared - Beer? Yes, two. There was no question as to what it would have been as there's only one available, but I of course needed to explain that to my wife after I'd ordered. A few minutes later, perhaps five, the beers were delivered in what I believe were pint-sized dimpled mugs. The beer was a dark brown, too dark to equate it with any color of wood, but not quite "black" either, and they had big creamy off-white heads on top of them. The aroma suggested dark roasted malts, with bready and dark cocoa-ish notes. I was waiting to see if the head would drop, but it was slow going, and so I took a sip. Nice. It was exactly as the nose had suggested without being more, and there were some herbal and grassy hops in the background. It's wasn't sweet, but there was some sweetness to the malt, nor was it too bitter - perfectly balanced. It was bready, gently caramelish and nutty, even toffee-ish, with a hint of cocoa and a light suggestion of roastiness. It was medium to medium-full in body with a soft carbonation. It was reminiscent of some of the beers that I had on my first night at U Medvídků, and even some of the beers that I had the night before at Pivovar U Tří Růží, and I had to wonder why that was. Was it the malt coming in from the surrounding countryside? Or was it the yeast that they were using? Or was is it their fermentation schedule, perhaps fermenting their ales a bit cooler and longer than usual? I don't know but it was a pleasant beer that was very rounded, and not at all biting, but balanced by a firm bitterness. With just a nod of the head to the waiter another round was brought; and then we ordered some beef goulash and something else that I don't recall, perhaps a potato dish. The food was basic, and there's no accoutrement included, but you get what you pay for. And that worked out well as we only need a snack, and I was fairly sated except that I desired just one more of those beers! While waiting we were gently accosted by women selling schnapps, but we didn't need those, and that last beer was just as fantastic as the first. You can chalk that up to the experience if you want, but I'll chalk it up to being a great beer.

3.63/5  rDev -15%

Huge, huge thanks to HJJH for getting this 1L growler out my way. Big surprise that they filled growlers of. Thought this was a DONG I'd have to wait awhile to try. Currently the #1 Euro Dark Lager. Served in a Hill Farmstead long-stem tulip.

Pours a dark brown with a light tan head and a bit of lacing. Thin collar. The nose brings a slight amount of roast as well as some mild hops and a slight acidic cherry character. The flavor is mostly malty with a bit of roast and some noticeable Continental hops. A bit of cherry there as well. Light body and slight acidity. Not bad at all, but not quite as good as the Moonlight dark lagers that I've come across. Interesting flavor and profile, though it doesn't quite measure up.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Here's the major (and perhaps only) reason to visit U Flecku.

Rocky beige head that leaves ring lace after each sip. Near black color where some light would come through the edge of the glass.

Strong yeast aroma with a darker (crystal or chocolate?) malt smell.

A complex blend of darker malt flavors. I can detect black patent grains. There is a good shot of hops at the swallow. The body is moderate with an above average level of carbonation. Frankly, this is a delicious treat.

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler, at the time of this review, this is the #1 Euro Dark lager, which is a bullshit style btw, on the best of beeradvocate lists. Imagine my surprise when Thorpe429 told me he had a growler of this previously believed to be DONG from the Czech republic, one of my top wants for a while, served in a Bruery tulip.

Beer is brown, dark, hazy with a thin head of small and medium bubbles, minimal lacing (if any at all) and low carbonation.

Aroma is nutty, sweet, the nuts dominate and win though.

Beer is tart and dark, mildly dry finish, you know what I think it is? Brett o. I thought about this review and description for a couple of hours and this is what I landed on. I think this beer is made or finished with Brett o. It is only mildly tart but not funky, not heavy but light on that palate. I did not enjoy this beer as much as I hoped. I think Death and Taxes is a superior beer by far and I'm basically done with this. Thanks for another #1 (if it survives the spot after this review) but I don't think I'd have it again.

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

OK, so I was drinking a lot of pilsners in Prague and I'm a dark beer kind of guy. So this beer was music to my eyes and taste-buds. I drank it very fast.
Good dark brown/black color with an off-white/tan head of about 2 fingers. Smell of coffee, anise, and roasted malt.
Tasted like heaven (relatively). A bit sweet, and enough flavor to find coffee, caramel, almond and malt, but not overwhelming.
This beer was good so for me that I forgot to eat.

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Tasted this beer on tap at U Fleku at about 10:30am on 1 July 05. Never so early had I tasted any beer in my life, so my review of this beer can be biased, due to my still sleepy tastebuds at the time I suppose...

According to the waiter, the beer is 5%abv strong as I drink it. Served in 400ml (rather than a more common Czech 500 or 300ml glass/jug) jug, it looks almost pitch-black or very very dark brown in colour, coming with a browish, espresso-crema like thin beerhead... very enticing. The aroma has mixed in it lightly toasted bread, coffee beans, sweet roasted barley, moderate caramel, black-plum juice... generally a settled, both malty and fruity nose I could sense.

On the palate, it's generally rich dark-malty and consists of almost all the elements as I could sense from its aroma, with a tinge of black-fruit's tartness and fruity hops which provide very good balance between sourness and sweet maltiness. But perhaps because it is served one degree too cold, some of the flavours really are kept at bay. The aftertaste is equally affected as well, I think--a bit short and light, with a little bit of brown-sugary, sticky mouthfeel left on the sides of my tongue which I am not so fond of. Overall, it's a medium-bodied, medium-rich flavoured (for lagers) dark beer, though, as an ale-goer, I'd expect it to have more assertive flavour and complexity to be really interesting. But that's just my biased opinion on beers in general, and I do think it can be a much more complex and enjoyable dark lager if served at a slightly higher temperature.

4.14/5  rDev -3%

3.46/5  rDev -19%

Dark brown, almost black. It has a beautiful head, beige, very creamy and compact. Good appearance.
Light smell of malt, roasted malt, and caramel.
The taste is on the same way, with malt, caramel, and some roasted note. Quite drinkable.
Medium-light-light body.
Very drinkable.
Some bitter notes in the aftertaste, light liquorice, herbal bitterness. Not bad.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%

I know the place is touristy and overpriced, but I had to bring Alewife here once, S she had neveer been. Hell, I had only been once, way back in 1991. We each had a 0.4l mug, at 59CZK per, about $3.30 at the moment.

My short, dimpled mug was filled with a deep, dark, almost opaque mahogany brew. The heasd was a lovely rocky, foamy mocha-hued mass of foam, which lasted well and left great lace. Nose had nice choco notes, with some roasty action. Feel was smoth and medium; nuf ced.

A touch of light sweetness alit on the palate, with subtle cocoa powder and dark choco action following. Had a smidge of roastyness and a little bitterness following. The choco notes lingered well, like a mocha milkshake. Quite nice! Zum wohl!

4.01/5  rDev -7.6%

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

There is only one Beer available at the U Fleku, I never knew what it was called, I even asked and was told just "Pivo" once by a confused looking waiter, (this simply means beer). So I have just called it U Fleku "House Beer". I even tried to find out the strength again with total failure.
A black beer that reveals it is actually a very, very, dark brown ale when held to the light. Strong malty aromas if you can get near the beer for the head. Served in 0.4 liter straight sided glass mugs with a handle by the Waiters with lots of carbonation at first. This aids the huge foaming crusty brown head, which normally spills over the top of the glass. Hence the "sticky" table tops in the open Courtyard here and the flies in Summer !! A very smooth tasting and quaffable dark lager.

With the little information that is available about this beer, I tried to do some research and revealed that the ever dependant Michael Jackson had the answers I was looking for in his book Beer Companion, which states that "Four malts are used, to a gravity of 13 Plato (the system is used widely in Czech Republic my words not his!!), in a double-decoction system, and the beer is hopped three times with Saaz". The strength of 4.5% ABV is also taken from this book. Hope he doesn't mind me repeating that !!!

A classic very drinkable dark Czech Lager, one of the best available in the Czech Republic in my opinion.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Beer on-tap, tasted in 2000 in the brewery.
Probably the pub-brewery's most famous in Prague. U Fleku is also said to be the oldest in the world (brewing since 1499).

Appearance : Dark brown color
Smell : liquorice, roasted
Taste and mouthfeel : Spicy, liquorice, bitter finish with sweet coffee aromas.
Dinkability : A very good beer not in the style "Euro dark lager" but Marzen (dark)

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best dark lager around. Prague has a lot of dark lagers but this micro is one of the best. You can only get in at u fleku which is kinda of expensive for what it is, but this beer is great.

Dark in color and has a light full flavor taste. Perfect example of what a dark lager should be. I can't locals were saying this beer was going down hill. How much better can it be.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Spent a short week in Prague and the first thing i told my friends and family about when I returned was the house brew of Pivovar U Flecku (and Prague is a remarkable city on its own). Off the beaten path of standard Prague touring, but well worth the hike. It's the only beer the place offers and it is chocolatey, roasty, buttery velvet in a mug. The taste itself was, for me, the beer's weakest asset, though quite delicious, as it was very sweet. The presentation was quite nice, however, and the sensation almost epic; a thumb's width of tan head left a nice lacing.

The atmosphere was a little silly: a touristy rendition of an old beer hall complete with oom-pah tuba and accordion music, and the food was standard Czech fare. The waitpersons, however, circulate continuously with handfuls of mugs containing U Flecku "House Beer."

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught at U Fleku. Served too cold. Very dark brown, nearly black colour - impenetrable for light. Moderate creamy tan head. Lovely aroma of leather and oak, dark chocolate and liquorice. Flavour is malty and moderately roasty, notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Never mind the inflated prices (by Czech standards), this beer is a must (at least once). And the liqueur we were forced to buy (which I drank AFTER the beer) actually tasted not-too-bad.

U Fleku Dark Lager from U Fleků Pivovar a Restaurace