Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus | Microbrasserie Charlevoix

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Edition 2007. Served at 50 degrees.

A: Pours dark brown in a chalice, with a decent head that sticks around forever.

S: Slightly sweet notes of brown sugar, spices are also present. Nice without being in your face (think Unibroue).

T: Dominated by malts, bit of caramel taste accompanied by spices. This beer does nothing in excess but everything seems to fit well together. The more it warms up, the better its gets. A great beer. There is also an underlying molasses or brown sugar sweetness.

M: Fairly thick with a smooth texture and it leaves a lasting drying effect in the mouth. Mild carbonation fits the rest perfectly.

D: Alcohol wasn't apparent for a 10% beer. It was hard to pace myself through it.

Overall, I was really looking forward to this beer and it didn't disappoint. I saved a few to age and I can't wait to see how it develops. Definately raised the bar for the Belgian dark ales. If you're lucky enough to have one of those lying around, this is an exceptional beer, enjoy every sip.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle: Poured a deep clear brown color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention and some nice lacing. Aroma of spices (anis) with great Belgian malt touch with some light sweet notes also noticeable. Taste is dominated by anis with some creamy sweet caramel Belgian malt some light spicy notes. Full body with great creamy texture and some perfect carbonation with no apparent alcohol. The only negative point that I could notice is that spices tends to be too heavy at some point but apart from that everything is perfect.

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer has a dark red-brown that is very appealing and a creamy and thick foam head. Lacing made of small bubbles can be seen in the glass.

Odours of hops, caramels and dark fruits is perceptible. This beer tastes sugary, but in a classy way. Caramels, brownies, ripe fruits. Very interesting. Excellent balance. Almost perfect texture. Alcohol could be hidden better, but I like it that way. Deserves to be made in larger quantities!!!

4.55/5  rDev +11%

I picked this beer without really knowing about it. And I don't pay 15$ on a daily basis for beer so it was mostly a wild pick.

I was very impressed by the taste of the beer, mixing various spices and being very sweet - without going over the limits. At that time (I was a very neophyte), it was the best beer I had in my short taster's experience.

For a hi ABV, you do not feel the taste of alcohol - which can be dangerous with a bottle of 750ml :)

I'll probably buy another one once I find one to elaborate my review.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I received a bottle of Hibernus from a colleague, and friend, that traveled to Quebec often. I laid it down for over a year waiting for a chance to share it with him. After he got hooked on a low carb diet I decided to pop this open on a cold February night in MD. I knew nothing about the beer prior to opening, but found it to be the perfect beer to, "comfort me from the wintery season."

Smell: When at the lower end of the recommended temp this beer has distinctively flowery, belgian yeast notes (but subtle) with a rich malt base that brings to mind a bowl of ripened mixed fruits (some dried appricot). As it warms, the richness become more and more pronounced, but not overdone.

Glass: I used a big ole brandy snifter and was glad I did. This beer deserved to be served in one of the better glasses I own.

Look: After a rigorous pour my glass wore a moderate-sized tan head and an enticing caramel brown bottom with red highlights. The head faded relatively quickly, leaving just thin cover resembling a pock-marked lunar landscape.

Mouthfeel: Evervescence adds a silky lightness to slickness underneath.

Taste: The big ripened fruit boldness that your other senses derive from this beer is somehow delicately balanced in the taste by carbonation and abv - but you'll have to use your sixth sense to peg this as a 10 percenter. I can't quite place the source of the beer's bittering counter balance prior to a quick drying out, leaving a hint of caramel that is eventually overcome by a lingering memory, of a granny smith apple.

Overall Impression: Outstanding. I have to deliberately pace myself as I find that I'm continuously drawn back to another sip. I lift the snifter, admire its seasonably fashionable contents, then give the glass a brief swearl to reset the landscape and release a fresh blast of an ever-growing likeness to fresh fruitcake. A moderate swig dispells any fear of cloying sweetness, and gets me thinking of traveling back to Canada. I've got to at least make it to Toronto for a festival this summer. Hmmm.

Food: I paired this with my some homemade chicken soup with a moderate dash of Cayene pepper to heat it up a little. The soup provided the additional liquid I needed to consume while I slowly sipped this beauty down. The added pepper seemed to stand up well, but not overpower, the beer. Also thought this might pair well with some venison jerky.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a 750 ml bottle to a snifter.

A: pours a deep dark brown with a foamy 2 finger off white head that breaks down quickly leaving a thin film.

S: wow. So much going on here. Sweet, dark fruits, prunes, bananas, cloves and other spices along with yeast.

T: again the sweet is there, the dark fruits and prunes are up front, with the spices and yeast taking up the finish. The finish has a very mild anise taste, which is quite pleasant.

M: medium carbonation and a medium body that makes this enjoyable.

O: okay, this has to be one of the best offerings from Charlevoix. It may be one of the better Quebec beers I've had. It is a great sipper that makes for an enjoyable evening. I would recommend it be enjoyed with a nice meal.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

tan colored head reached skyward to a eight that easily surpassed the top of the glass. Good thing this pour was into a 24oz glass. Nice, opaque brown color was evident from the start with a rich looking hazelnut tone to it. The head finally calmed down after about twenty minutes but still dropped tons of foam and lace along the glass.

The aroma was very nice, a little bit ruddy at first. Hints of chcoalte and caramel, rich belgian spice and a wonderful bit of dark fruit all dancing around wonderfully inside of it. But it was once I took a sip that everything really came together for me. A wave of cascading brown sugar and tart apples just rolled across the tongue. Enormously rich and vigorous, this was just a wonderful thing to behold. Nice touches of chocolate and rich toffee like notes were all balanced well in advance of a lovely dark fruit tone that led the charge once the yeast kicked in. Nice notes of prunes and rasins, hints of plums and dark cherries were all very much evident in the profile. The carbonation was spot on, as the rich, velvet like bubbles converged on the tongue and added to the prickly pepper like spices that lasted long into the finish.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle poured into corsendonk chalice mar24 2010

A when held to a light it has a ruby red glow, other then the crazy amount of bubbles its clear enough to read these words through it. a large beige head had pretty good retention slowly falling to a thin film but only left a few patches of lace

S lots going on here a fair bit of brown sugar some molasses, raisin, cherry, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a little honey with some booze but not the 10% I see printed on the bottle

T not far from the smell I may pick on just a little bit of yeast but for the most part it's a winter warmer on steroids. its sweet but well within my range for enjoyment, not what I was expecting but not at all disappointed
edit: as it warms I ended up with a fair bit of licorice, enough that I felt a edit was needed

M not as thick as I thought it would be but not thin by any means almost syrupy and decent carbonation works well for it, a smooth beer is never a bad thing

D no issues drinking this beer for a strong ale it goes down pretty fast.

man I love this brewery just great beer after great beer, I'm not sure I've had a bad one or even a B+ for that matter. I must admit I don't like paying 17$ a bottle for this one but I'm still going to buy another to see how it ages

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Very dark copper color with bright red hues. Light brown rocky head with an excellent retention for the ABV and a nice lacing.

S - Very omplex smell, bready malt (a bit toasted), yeast, scpicies, nutty, some dark fruits and candy sugar. Very typical from trappists.

T - Lots of spicy notes coming from the alcohol. Good malt sweetness with some esters. Raw sugar is lingering next to alcohol and hop for a slight bitterness and some herbal notes.

M - Very smooth mouthfeel. Medium to full body.

O - Inscredible balance and perfectly to style. This beer has nothing on the greatest trappist names, just seek it out!

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Deep ruddy brown with a huge tan head that is slow to recede. Looks just like a dark Belgian beer should.

Full of fruity richness, a strong grape juice impression, with a solid amount of yeastiness in the mix. Spicy, cardamon for sure, but that certainly isn't the only spice.

Sweet and fruity to taste, grapes and even a bit of fig impression. There is a certain licorice to the finish mixed in with the yeasty notes that completely masks the alcohol. I get a unique peach impression, I can't seem to remember ever coming across the same flavour in any other brew. It is really good.

A little fuller than medium bodied, with a smooth creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the lighter side, which really seems to work for this beer.

This is a great beer, right up my alley. Sweet and smooth and interesting.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

2009 Vintage.

Beer is dark chestnut brown with a substantial light tan head. Lots of activity in the head. Head recedes relatively quickly and settles into a film, leaving a fair bit of lacing.

Smell is full of cherry, spices, raisin and nice, sweet malt scents. In addition to the cherry, I start to pick up some other berry scents. Belgian yeast as well. Very good.

Taste is lovely. Lots of cherry as well as some juicy raspberry, red grape, and raisin. The fruit flavours are mixed with spices and sweet malt. Alcohol is very well hidden. Great.

Fairly high carbonation level, a little too much. Full bodied, juicy.

Overall, another fantastic beer from Charlevoix. Definitely one of my favourite Canadian breweries. A really nice take on the BSDA. Not sure how it is fresh, but with 2+ years on it, this beer is drinking really nicely.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Pours clear deep ruby color with a bit of orange in it. Good head volume and retention, color is pale beige. Lacing is phenomenal.

S: Typically Belgian: very spicy, fruity, nutty and sweet. Tons of brown sugar, toffee, licorice and molasses present. Spices present are: nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. Tons of fruits too: bananas, cherries, green apples, pears and grapes. Very strong and complex nose.

T: More of the same. Brown sugar, toffee, molasses and licorice are very present. Big bread like taste. The fruits are still there, bananas, cherries, pears and grapes (couldn't get the green apples though). A bit of tartness too. Spices are still there and very strong: nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Really the nose depicted really well the taste of this brew. And there's this alocohol taste that compliments all of these others. The tastes are easily identified.

M: Mid to heavy body and mid carbonation. I think for this one I would have preferred a more dominant feel.

D: Big beer, but the taste isn't aggressive. The only thing that can stop you is maybe the alcohol taste (but I enjoyed it since it mixed well with the other tastes.

Well, compared to the other reviews, I feel like I'm over-hyping this one. I don't see why the scores aren't higher for this one since I think this brew is much better than Unibroue's "La Maudite" or "Trois Pistoles" and is definitely a world class Strong Dark Belgian.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up in a bottle shop down the street of Dieu du Ciel. I dropped this one and cracked the cap slightly so unfortunately couldn't cellar it as long as I'd hoped to.

The beer pours with a huge tan head, very bubbly and foamy. A beautiful, clear dark cherry burgundy body lurks below this fuelling an excellent level of head retention, this leave a fine trail of lace on its slow decent.

What a nose on this one! Strong toffee and caramel notes flow out first followed by hints of coffee and very ripe banana. Smells of raisin pear and apple add some fruity finesse to the aroma. More robust aromas of burnt sugar and bitter chocolate make the bouquet even more appealing. Finally a boozy note of fermented dates rounds out this great nose.

Boozy notes of ice wine, rum chocolates, port and whiskey mix with spicy hints of nutmeg. Roasted chocolaty notes round out the massive middle, dark chocolate mousse and cocoa butter compliment the boozy qualities well adding to the warming effect of this high proof elixir.
The body is velvety smooth and mouth coating adding to the warming nature. A medium low level of carbonation helps this along.

A wonderful beer very complex and intriguing pity it's I wasn't able to save this for the harsher days to come. Highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hibernus' fig coloured liquid is snowed-in beneath an avalanche of off-white powder - how appropriate for a winter seasonal. In all seriousness, the tint of its head does actually like dirty snow, the lacing of which turns the glass into a snow-globe, and the dark beer's tone is emblematic of those long December nights.

The aroma is sweet as jam and smacks of raspberry preserves and chocolate fondue. Belgian Strong Dark Ales tend to be yeast-powered and, while complex, very predictable; this bouquet, however, is unexpectedly rich malt-wise while still brimming with those spicy, savoury, fruity elements of the yeast. I wish I had seven nostrils with which to appreciate all of it.

To say that this drinks like plum pudding on steroids would be in a way accurate, but it would also downplay the beer's complexity and richness. It's distinctive enough that I don't feel it fair to liken it to anything else - beer, dessert, or otherwise. This flavour offers notes of raisin, dried cherries, chocolate-covered raspberries, dark caramel, and sticky toffee pudding and they're all doused in citrus zest, mace, clove and nutmeg.

Hibernus has a sweet port-like complex, citrus zest, and savoury spiciness that make it perfectly suited to the holiday season. It also has the substantial, hearty maltiness and warming effect (9.5%, though you'll never taste it) that drinking it all winter long is certainly appropriate too. Surprising for its strength, it is soft as a teddy-bear and approachable to everyone.

As far as winter seasonals go, Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus is the full package - and has the price tag to show for it. Despite its stellar reputation - and Microbrasserie Charlevoix's tremendous track record - I put off buying a second bottle until I could try things for myself - now I'm going back to buy up the whole store. The Quebecois know how to do winter right.

Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus from Microbrasserie Charlevoix