Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus | Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Quebec, Canada
microbrasserie.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by Beersignal on 01-06-2008

Microbrasserie Charlevoix - Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus - Belgian IPA - 10% - Charlevoix, Quebec.

Aromas of cloves with lots lots of floral scents - especially roses. Some citrus, sugars, and cardamon. Smells like a spicy bouquet. Like walking into a flower shop that happens to be baking banana bread.

Sweet up front, followed by some nice belgian yeast flavors - cloves & cardamon. It then finishes with some very floral hops, and a surprising medium bitterness that does not overpower in the least. I'm tasting sweet grapefruit, and oranges. It has this tangy, sweet and bitter taste all at the same time. Brilliant.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and nicely carbonated, giving way to a nice frothy sip every time.

I've had others of this style and they are usually pretty intense. This is so well balanced, complex and goes down so easy that you quickly forget the beer is a 10% Belgian IPA.

This for me, could be the best beer I've ever had. Thank God I bought another bottle.

Fortunately and unfortunately I need to share this as I can't get too drunk - any day could be baby day :)

Again I'll say it - Microbrasserie Charlevoix is the best microbrewery in Quebec. I would recommend. this to anyone.

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

750 mL green bottle from winter 2007.

Pours a hazy amber with a thick white head that leaves lots of lacing.

Spicy aroma with some tropical fruit notes.

Very sweet, almost syrupy, with lots of fruit. Sweet green grapes come to mind. Soon comes a peppery spiciness and a big hop bite that cuts through the sugar. Some warming alcohol but overall quite mellow. Long, sweet and bitter finish. Very full-bodied and highly carbonated.

This is a complex and delicious beer. One of the best I've had in a while. Highly recommended, if you can still find it.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Pours cloudy amber with a duvel-level of pure white head. Seriously powerful, creamy, long lasting and with a ton of lacing. Impressive!

S: First to come are the citrus: lime and lemon mostly with some grapefruit too. Some underlying honey sweetness. Coriander is there as well as a little cloves (typical from Belgian yeast). Some piny and floral hops present too. Very complex and powerful nose.

T: A much more solid malt backbone here, that I didn't expect after the smell. Honey is more present too and toffee as well. Citrus are still the main players though. Leaning more to the orange than the lemon of the nose with more grapefruit too. "Warmer" fruits are there too, thanks to the alcohol: raisins, dark cherries. As it warms up, flavors of marmelade, red apple and mango appears. Cuts at the end with some nice piny/herbal hops. Extremely complex and flavorful!

M: Medium body with mid to high carbonation, just what you'd expect from the style.

D: High, very high. Superbly balanced, the alcohol is well hidden, this one is dangerously drinkable for a 10 ABV.

Well, a GREAT americanized version of a strong Belgian pale, this brew is extremely balanced and has a great great taste. Definitely one of my favorite all time brew and I'm an Imperial Stout guy. Very very impressive!!

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Bought this because the guy at the store suggested it. It looked like a nice bottle but I had a feeling I'd be disappointed. Boy, was I wrong!

A- Aggressive pour yields a glass of head. A full glass of head! Superior lacing. Head lasts 'till the very end. Liquid is that of a classic belgian blonde

S- Great smell. Alcohol. What I think are American hops. Smells a lot like ice cider. CO². A little belgian yeast.

T- Pretty similar to smell. Like a cross between a Belgian Blond and an IPA. Hops giving a basic but delicious bubblegum and very soft grapefruit taste. Very sweet. I don't usually like sweet, but the hops make this terribly enjoyable.

M- Surprisingly dry considering how sweet it is. Medium carbonation.

D- Very high. Just a bit too sweet but I could drink this forever (I don't feel the alcohol yet).

Wow. This just made it into my favorite beers. I absolutely want to try and clone this one some day...

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

HUGE thanks to fellow BA Phil aka santa109 for sharing this with my on my trip to see him.

Bottle opened just past midnight on 17/10/09, poured into my newly acquired Dieu du Ciel tulip snifter. Light golden color, with some active carbonation bubbles. Massive fluffly white clouds that float atop the beer and cling to the glass as the glass is emptied.

Belgian yeasts and fruits on the nose. Can't wait for whats to come later.

Tremendous representation of a belgian strong pale, not to mention a beer in general. The beer was a little chilly to start, but really starts to shine when it warms up. Balance is the true star of this beer. No single flavor is over powering, and the balance of the cloves, belgian yeast, a little banana, and just a hint of hops. Truly astounding.

Mouthfeel is great. Lingers, but not too long. Which makes you want to go back for more. Carbonation is perfectly in-sync with the rest of the beer, and great even considering it's age.

Drinkability is off the charts. You would be hard pressed to find a better representation of the style. Period. I'd definitely never have had the chance to taste this had it not been for my main man Phil.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

What can I say? Possibly Canada's single best Belgian style ale right here. This beer conjours up thoughts of Duvel and Saison Dupont. That's some pretty impressive company.

Golden pour with an enormous pancake head that lasts for days. Bready, yeasty & spicey in the nose with a few floral hints. Taste is outsanding. Hop bitterness, spice, earthy notes, pleasant candy sweetness that lingers nicely with the hops. Some malt backbone. A nice alcohol warmth without overpowering the palate. The perfect mouthfeel, both smooth and lively. Creamy finish with a nice lingering bitterness.

Top marks. Simply outstanding.

Thanks to Beersignal for the hard to find bottle!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Haven't reviewed in nearly 6 months from lack of drive, or interest, or time, or suitable beers, or... pick one. I'm not the type to review everything that pops up on the shelves of my local outlet, but when I saw this bottle along with its darker counterpart I couldn't resist despite its $12.99 price tag. That is how much I respect this brewer of belgian styles and his offerings. A good start to 2008? I hope.

Handsome presentation, crown capped champagne bottle with wrap over the cap. Looks more like a Brut from the Champagne region than a beer. Real classy, eh. As I pour the liquid, a rush of carbonation and a thick creamy wall of stark white foam rises so quickly that I stop serving for fear of spilling some of the contents. As the cap settles I contemplate a polished gold coloured beer topped by the same frothy head and sit and admire a column of bubbles that feeds the head relentlessly. A thick veil of foam builds on the far side of my glass methodically, after every taste almost like if it were trying to hide something from onlookers.

I plunge my nose into the glass and immediately I am served with a wave of floral, spicy, earthy, piney and fruity hops through which only a touch of malt can escape. It is quickly followed by the trademark aromas of Simcoe and Amarillo as is stated on the bottle. Gentle hints of cloves ride along with the rest of the aromas and balance the smell nicely for me. (I think this is the triple IPA they released last summer on tap at Le Saint-Bock)

The first sip goes down, and then a second. So tasty and, unsurprisingly, dominated by the hops. The warmth of the alcohol permeates my tastebuds but is not aggressive. Rather, it is gentle and residually sweet allowing a touch of freshly cracked pepper to express itself before the bitter bite of co-humulone puts its foot down. Sip after sip reveals more and more complexity. Vanilla, banana, cloves, candied sugar, another round of cracked pepper... the list is endless. Before I know it I'm at the bottom of my glass and the bottom of the bottle is not far off. Hazardous in its extreme drinkability.

This beer seals it for me. MicroBrasserie Charlevoix has, without a doubt, become the reference in belgian styles in Québec and perhaps Canada. Steep price, worth every penny. I can honestly say I concentrated on every sip of this 750 ml bottle. If I find this again, I will have no problem putting down $12.99 for this beer. A great start to '08.

Santé and Happy New Year

SMD

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep lightly cloudy golden color ale with a huge pure white foamy head with perfect retention and some great lacing. Aroma of West Coast hops with some notes of citrus and grapefruit and some nice floral notes can also be detected. Taste is perfect balance between some light sweet Belgian malt with huge notes of floral hops with notes of grapefruit. Full body with a somewhat creamy texture with some great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I really enjoyed how the hops presence brought aromatic notes but left a light controlled bitterness. As much as I had enjoyed the Chouffe Houblon I believe this one is even more enjoyable.

Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus from Microbrasserie Charlevoix