Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus | Microbrasserie Charlevoix

Added by Beersignal on 01-06-2008

1.48/5  rDev -65.1%

2.5/5  rDev -41%

2.9/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served in a riedel red wine magnum glass

A:Nice golden color, troubled, with a nice foam head

S: Pretty interesting, hoppy

T: This is where it gets worse. There is so much residual sugar, this is quite unbalanced.

O: Pretty disjointed imo, and very sweet, with high IBU, strange and unbalanced...

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

jrallen34 contributed this to our recent tasting.

A - A straw yellow color with a huge soapy head on it. Had to let it die down a little bit before putting more in the glass.

S - Smells like a Duvel that has been majorly dry-hopped. little bit of honey with a yeast bite.

T - Tastes a tone like Duvel, although it seems a little more potent to me. I do not like Duvel, so I didn't like this beer either. A little sweet with a lot of soap and some yeast bite on the end.

M - Lighter, with nice carbonation, somewhat dry finish.

D - Hard to drink for me due to the taste. If you like Duvel, you should seek this one out.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -19.3%

L: Cloudy, verging on orange color. Some sediment chunks are visible in the beer. Carbonation is high and the beer pours about a 2 finger head. Lacing is moderate.

S: A bit of sweet malt. Some pale fruit and bread-like aromas. I get virtually no hops, minus maybe a bit of spiciness that I perceive a combination of a phenols and the strisselspalt advertised on the bottle.

T: Fairly malty with a slight cereal grain taste. Some pale fruit - think pear and maybe a bit of green apple. A bit of light caramel. I get no grapefruit or citrusy hops whatsoever which is honestly a let down. Although the hop flavor doesn't really pop, bitterness is fairly firm and alcohol is mildly present given the percentage.

F: The carbonation and high abv pricks the tongue a bit but nothing drastic; it is normal for belgian style beers to have high carbonation. The body is far too syrupy for my liking.

O: Overall it wasn't bad but had no where near the hopiness it boasted about on the bottle. My bottle wasn't old terribly old either (something like 6 months). I got literally no pine or citrus hop flavor and the body was extremely thick. That being said not the most awful beer I've ever had but I wouldn't pay the money for it again. ... Over hyped.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

3.51/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this one from Freud in a trade almost a year ago. Thanks for the Quebec love my man!

From a 75cl bottle into a wine glass.
Vintage: 2009
Tasted after Hibernus

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium looking white head with good retention. Head slowly fades to a good foam cap and clings to the sides. Cloudy gamboge orange in color with no carbonation evident. A good wisp remains until the end and leaves sheets of lacing down the sides of the glass. A great looking brew for sure.

SMELL: Toasted malts, green fruits, apples, and a touch of white wine and champagne notes. A decent floral hop aroma plays a good supporting act as well.

TASTE: Toasted malts and green fruits up front. Green apples and pears are definitely there, with some white wine notes riding through the middle too. Mild and lingering aftertaste of green fruits and some bitter, flowery hops.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Not overly creamy, but smooth enough on the palate. Goes down smooth with a dry finish.

OVERALL: This is a solid brew, but didn’t think it was as complex or as interesting a Belgian IPA as Hibernus was a Strong Dark Ale. I enjoyed this one more than the others in the group did, but don’t think I’d seek it out again like I would Hibernus. Thanks again Freud for hooking us up with these ones!

3.56/5  rDev -16%

A bottle brought down from Jean of Quebec City. Had it previously just after it was released in '07 - very fresh and extremely aromatic then. This bottle had mellowed to the point of faded hop glory, but malt profile was still plenty sturdy and the alcohol nearly invisible - had become very sneaky for 10%. Retained a puffy, long-lasting head and the aroma, although muted, was still inviting. Highly-hopped, this beer gains no benefit from aging if you are a hop-head, but is still enjoyable if the balance more toward the malt end is preferred. Hardly any available now, so enjoyed it for its rarity at this point.

3.59/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Vices & Versa.

Pours a shiny glossy golden colour. Head is beige, nice lacing but head doesn't quite retain. Pretty good.

Banana, cinnamon, sugar-poached fruit, and star anise all vying for attention on the nose. Interesting.

Taste is all Belgian. Plenty of spice esters on there. Pepper, star anise and clove with some brown sugar, espresso and maybe some raisins towards the back, plus vanilla on the finish. Not a bad heavy Belgian character. Pretty sweet.

A bit foamy in the mouth. Very dry on the back.

Decent beer. Lots of spice, fair sweetness, but a bit too dry which doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the palate.

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very nice presentation. Pourred in a ball-like glass (Fin du monde) and revealled an hazy light amber colour with a THICK creamy/foamy white head. Head so thick that temper down the smell, but still revealing lots of spices, earth and yeast smell comes afterward. Still young and should be cellered for a while. Should handle long cellearing (5-10 years)if you can wait that long!

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks to TCGoalie for procuring this treat on his travels in Canada and bringing to our tasting. This review is written from a group audio review that also included BuckyFresh and TCHopCraver.

The appearance of this beer was my favorite part. It is a nice golden straw color. Those glasses poured before the bottom of the bottle were nice and clear. The head was pretty amazing and quintessential Belgian. big, light and pillowy with very nice retention and lacing.

The yeast plays a big role in the aroma with a healthy dose of banana and some other spice notes. There was also a pretty good amount of lemony citrus as well as a bit of a "dank" hop aroma.

The flavor is not really my cup of tea, but half of us really enjoyed it. This beer had a pretty crazy taste to it with plenty of banana, some musty basement, pithy, piney and grassy. It also had a overall fruity and candied sort of flavor. I found it to be a bit astringent overall.

The body was appropriately medium with a nice softness to it that plays a good counterpoint to the extremely dry and bitter finish.

Overall I just could not get into the groove of this beer. I am usually a big fan of Belgian IPAs, but there was just something about this one that did not sit well with me. Perhaps a fresher bottle may have been a bit more to my liking. It was definitely worth trying though.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle- Deep golden pour unleashes a beautiful frothy white cap, leaving plenty of lace. Spicy, fruity nose hints at rose petal and fresh hops, with lots of citrus and a blast of cotton candy. Smells good. I don't really like the sweetness here, but the flavour profile is still pretty good. Sweet mango and apple with yeasty flavours lead to spices and candied malts. The hops don't come through in the flavour the way they were calling at me in the aroma. Pretty good beer to be sure. A bit over-hyped though.

3.64/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Mathieu for the trade. The bottle opens and I see a large spout of foam forming. This reminds me of Beezel, another golden Belgian ale I like.

Pours rich blond into a tulip glass. Immediate subtle scent of grass behind the alcohol and malt. If there are hops on the nose, they are very subtle. Mostly it's that farmy green note that reminds me of saisons.

Taste is very much like a saison. I see the style is supposed to be Belgian IPA, but I really don't get a lot of hops. I get a lot of acidity and brightness, but I wouldn't have guessed it's any sort of IPA. That said, it's very tasty (think saison), spicy, refreshing. The 10% is also a surprise, as it doesn't taste too hot or alcoholic.

Might buy again, especially in the summer.

3.64/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

lcbo

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Served out of what could pass as a wine bottle. Pours clear and golden with a mile high pillowy head that lasts and lasts. I did not find that the hops really played much of a role as I would expect in an IPA. The yeast and malt are at the forefront. Spicy and phenolic with hints of sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable, and at 750 ml and 10% ABV, it isn't a beer you just sit down and finish by yourself.

My first Belgian IPA, and I wasn't sure what to expect. All in all very drinkable, and more Belgian Tripel then American IPA.

3.73/5  rDev -12%

Thanks to TCGoalie for bringing this treat back from Canada with him. Enjoyed at a tasting party with TCGoalie, zoso1967, and TCHopCraver.

Appearance: Pours a straw/golden yellow color with a very fluffy, white head with excellent retention and lacing. Moderate carbonation is visible.

Smell: Lemon and a dank, musty smell are prominent in the aroma. There is a lot of Belgian yeast character, exuding fruity banana character and some spiciness.

Taste: Tastes a bit like bitter basement bananas. Fairly dry overall. There is some candy character with a punch of decent hop bitterness. There are some softer notes as well, like grass and fruit. Very unique taste that approximately half of our tasting group enjoyed.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, fairly dry, and decently bitter. Has a softer touch as well and overall is pretty balanced and drinkable.

Overall: A pretty unique beer with some atypical characteristics. There are some things about it that I really liked, and some that were so-so. The flavor wasn't really in my wheelhouse, but I can see how some would like it.

3.74/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle dated 15/06/15.
L: Bright honey-colored beer with an enormous pillowy head.
S: Bright, candied lemon and yeast.
T: Sweet and crackery, citrus notes dominate with white grape and green apple and a wisp of balsam. I perceive no bitterness at all and I'm pretty sure there should be some bitterness - it's sweet malt to start, earthy malt in the middle, and sweet sticky maltiness at the finish.
F: Champagne-like bubbles provide an interesting contrast to the otherwise slick, syrupy mouthfeel.
O: I noted the 10% abv when I opened the bottle and then never gave it another thought. Now I'm wondering whether I'm going to be able to fix dinner. Or even get off the couch. A little sweet to my taste, I don't believe for a minute that I just drank an IPA, Belgian or otherwise, but all in all a highly serviceable beverage that left me cheerfully buzzed.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%