C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown) | Free Will Brewing Co.

C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)
3.88/5
C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown)

Free Will Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
freewillbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

This unique and complex seasonal ale is free will’s best-selling seasonal. This very strong brown ale has a delicious malty backbone with notes of caramel, brown sugar and graham cracker. Aged on a unique and complex bean that provides additional peppery and molasses like flavors in addition to the classic coffee presence in the aroma and on the palate.

Added by Flounder57 on 11-24-2012

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly tan creamy foamy 1 finger head that fades semi slowly, plenty of lacing, semi clear auburn slight ruby color.

Nose loads of coffee, fresh brewed coffee and acidic coffee, very fruity coffee too almost to the point of infection but not quite there I don't think just the bright acidic coffee, caramel, brown sugar, oatmeal, cocoa, alcohol almost fusel, toasted biscuity graham cracker.

Taste a bit sweet, plenty of oatmeal and creamy oats, a little cocoa dark chocolate, plenty of roasted coffee, again fresh brewed acidic coffee with fruity undertones, little vanilla too, brown sugar caramel sweet, and maybe molasses too, a little toasted biscuity malt, brown malts, hint of bitter spicy hop, little booze flavor but not much burn, chocolate melted into water thing. Finishes sticky sweet with a bit of warming booze, bitterness, and chocolate syrup

Mouth is med bod but thin for what it is, a bit syrupy, lighter but decent carb, a bit of warming booze.

overall interesting, not quite my style of coffee choc oatmeal brown, a bit too thin and not enough malt character, syrupy, seems a bit messy, coffee is really interesting and unique but not my style for a beer, maybe as a coffee it would be great, just strange beer all around, but fun to try.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap 2/28/2016 at Pour Farm Tavern in New Bedford, MA, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color, with a large dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains strong coffee, some maple, roasted oats and caramelized malts.

T: The taste likewise starts out with a very strong toasted coffee bean flavor that is followed by a heavy breadiness from a hearty malt character and roasted oats. There are some mildly sweet flavors of maple, caramel and brown sugar in the background. There is very little hops presence as would expect and there is a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, slightly filling, strong kick, good variation of style, this is a solid beer to drink for a while.

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Canal St. Pub, Reading, PA.

Mahogany brown color, semi-translucent, with a small tan head that receded to a ringlet; minor lacing on the glass. Cold coffee grounds in the nose, toasted bread, caramel malts. About what I'd expect from a coffee brown ale. Taste was similar, cold pressed coffee, caramel malts, somewhat nutty, toasted oats and rye (though I'm not sure any actual rye was used in this beer), with a slight herbal bitterness in the finish. Body was medium, a bit thinner than I'd expect from an oatmeal beer, but about on par for a typical brown ale. Overall pretty decent. Good if you like coffee, good if you like brown ales.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Thick foamy head that is slow to recede. Two rings of lace form after the first two sips. Lattice work in between. Cloudy, brown color to the liquid.

I smell cigarette ash first and then coffee second. Neither smell is attractive to me but I can appreciate what they are going for here.

Ash upfront followed quickly by a black coffee flavor. Again, not what I would ever seek out. Needless to say, this is not your typical brown ale so I'll give points for creativity and bravery. Full bodied for the style with an appropriate carbonation level.

Overall, I resist all things coffee so my review should be evaluated through that lens. The bartender said he loved this beer, but it's not for me.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I know that I am supposed to be on a moratorium against buying bottles, but I really like what Free Will B.C. is doing and so my Willpower is more Free than it should be! Ah, well.

From the bottle: "Blah blah blah blah blah IMPERIAL SOUTHERN ENGLISH-STYLE BROWN ALE blah blah blah blah INTENSE blah blah blah blah blah blah DELICIOUS blah blah ... Blah blah blah COFFEE blah AND THEN SOME MORE COFFEE!!!" Hey, I only transcribe what they print.

The initials C. O. B. in the navy stand for "Chief of the Boat" aboard submarines, so for all of my bubblehead brethren, I am going to sink ti one for you!

Caps Lock is now off and so is the cap. I went with my usual heavy-handed pour, resulting in my usual pseudo-cascade, settling into the usual two fingers of dense, light-tan head with moderate retention. Blah blah blah. Color was more of a Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) than a full-on Brown, but it had NE-quality clarity. Blah blah blah. Nose had an overly roasted coffee quality and although I like my coffee strong, bitter and black, like my women, I do not much dig that heavy roastiness. Blah blah blah. Mouthfeel was medium, at most. This in an Imperial version of the style?!? Blah blah blah. The taste was reminiscent of Kahlua in a boozy, coffee-infused way. Man, the first time I had Kahlua, I was a paperboy and these two cool cats had an apartment on Lancaster Avenue in the 400 block. One Friday night, when I was out doing weekly collections, one dude's hot sister in her mid-20s was visiting. She invites me in, we smoke some pot, she puts my head in her lap and begins pouring Kahlua into my mouth and then we were gettin' it on. No kidding! I was like sixteen or seventeen and it was not the first time that I had made it with somebody on that route. Pleasant memories, but I was not finding this beer to be all that pleasant. Blah blah blah. It just seemed too hot and the coffee was not making it happen either. Blah blah blah. Hey, don't get me wrong - I am all for experimentation, but sometimes, not everything works as planned. Blah blah blah.

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

At Gingerman in NYC.
Pours a murky reddish brown color with one finger of light tan head and low carbonation evident. Nose definitely has peanut butter, chocolate, light coffee, toasted notes, bread and biscuit malts. Medium body and low carbonation, super smooth.
Overall an interesting beer and I dig the nose.

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Brass Rail Deli, served chilled in a pint.

The color is a murky brown with light off white cap with ringlets of lace sticking and ultra fine bead not the best appearance, but better than average. The smell is a mix of sweet malt with fresh coffee odor with nutty light bean-like roasted nose and light herbal hop scent. The feel has a creamy, worty texture with sweet roasted grainy aspect and semi-dry finish with a slight coffee acidity mid palate.

The taste is good and pretty much follows the aroma with full malty toasted oatmeal aspect with a light coffee element and moderate hop influence with an herbal flavor. The coffee tastes good, but midway it starts to bring a vegetal element and there is light alcohol with nutty dry taste in the finish. Overall a pretty good brown, not great -if you take away the oats and coffee it is pretty ordinary and the coffee doesn't really improve it enough to warrant a second taste to me. I like the concept but it could use some refinement as it seems like an under attenuated strong ale. The sweetness level is ok and the coffee is more earthy than I prefer considering the style + Abv but it is good drinkability wise

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

C.O.B. (Coffee Oatmeal Brown) from Free Will Brewing Co.