Techno IPA | Free Will Brewing Co.

Techno IPATechno IPA

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

3.25/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Free Will Brewing Co. "Techno" IPA
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$3.00 (priced @ $2.50 the shelf) @ The Bottle Shoppe, Ardmore, PA

A limited carbonation level leaves a short head of off-white foam over a cloudy (like a hefeweizen) deep-golden orange body. As might be expected, the head retention is limited, and only spotty lacing is left behind.

In the aroma, delicate hop notes of tangerine and grapefruit mix with the sweet malt base and yeasty fruitiness giving the impression of papaya, mango, and even melon. It's interesting, and enticing, but surprisingly limited for an IPA.

The flavor delivers a solid, sweetish maltiness that's gently caramelish. It's quite fruity, seemingly both from yeasty esters and hops, and it's really quite tropical in a way, as well as floral. Some actual yeast flavor is present as well, which is not surprising given the cloudiness, but it's not detracting. The bitterness is quite firm, but the sweetish malt somehow finds a way to get away from it, leaving a bit of residual stickiness in the finish. It's not cloying, but neither is it dry and refreshing. The alcohol, which is fairly well hidden, lends a hand to help but just can't get the job done.

In the mouth it's medium bodied with a surprisingly low-level carbonation. I'd guess that it's in the 1.9 - 2.1 volume/liter range, which leaves it a bit flabby. I can only hope that I've received a bad sample as it really needs a little more zest to bring out the hops and accentuate the bitterness.

Overall "Techno" has some interesting components to it (mainly in the hop arena), but it just doesn't come together. If, in fact, my sample is short on carbonation that could help to explain everything from the limited aroma to the sticky finish, but without knowing I can only see it as lacking balance and polish.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

3.79/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From The Fridge to my fridge and then into my glass, I am slowly emptying out my backlog of beer so that I CAN CANcentrate on The CANQuest (TM).

I have been chastised by my Old Lady for being heavy-handed on my pours, but unless the label directs me to pour gently, I like the visual aspect of the pseudo-cascade and the creation of head. In this case, the resulting finger of head was dense and tawny with moderate retention. Color was a deep-amber, approaching gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice. Ahhh! I am a big fan of AIPAs and this got my motor running. I watched the head create some nice, sticky lacing as it fell and decided that this was the time for my first draught. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was straight-on, straight-up citrus hops. I know that some (many?) complain that beers in the style can be unbalanced and while I do not disagree, I do not disdain them, either. I do not like when they seem to be saturated with hops and such was not the case here. It was intensely hoppy, yes, and there did not seem to be much in the way of discernible malt sweetness, but it was still drinkable. Finish was dry, but not in an unpleasant way, as I have noted in those AIPAs that seem to be saturated with hops. That said, it was not terribly different from so many other AIPAs that I have tried and/or reviewed. I am happy to support a PA brewer, but it is not worth trading or searching for, sorry.

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper slightly hazed appearance looks great billowing head off white cream color, with fine even textured dispread lacing on my pint glass. Aroma ripe mango, citrus in the backend, a bit of earthy character fades with each sniff. Flavors cereal grains, sweet malts, hop fruit as in mango, citrus, and a bit of ripened pineapple balances out in the backend with some hop bitterness and powdered yeast bready quality. Overall impressive IPA from PA, I can't wait until this gets perfected and refined it will be firing on all cylinders.

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into an English pint glass, the appearance was a glossy burnt yellow/somewhat copper color. Quickly dissipating finger's worth of white foamy head that fell off with some adequate semi-sliding stringy lace.
The aroma smelled like orange marmalade with a touch of tobacco/earthy hops, some citrus pulp, light grassy sweetness and a little bit of biscuits.
The flavor seemed to meld all of the previously mentioned aromas together mainly sweet adding just a touch of some earthy dryness. Clingy orange marmalade aftertaste gliding along.
The mouthfeel was between light and medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt fine. Finish was slightly sticky with a touch of heat.
Overall, why is it every IPA I've been trying lately coming from PA has this "orange marmalade" flavor? I mean, it's not bad, just thinking out loud, I guess. I could still drink this again.

Techno IPA from Free Will Brewing Co.