Rapunzel | Free Will Brewing Co.

RapunzelRapunzel

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by confer on 07-11-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.72/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. For those who may wonder how I got behind, this is a perfect example. I bought it at The Friendly Greek's Bottle Shop, but when I got it home, no picture existed on this site. I then had to get the pic approved, and in the lengthy period that this took to happen, the beer got shuffled into the morass. Now, the pic is approved, but in the interim, the name has changed! Grrr. The pic approval process on here really needs to be streamlined, IMHO.

My pour caused a good deal of head to form, so I backed off almost as soon as I had started. Man, the smell coming off of it was definitely that of a saison! I ended up with two huge, puffy, rocky fingers of eggshell white head that looked like yeast that was ready to be pitched. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-yellow (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose smelled of barnyard funk, mandarin oranges, mown grass and black pepper. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was initially tart and funky, but then I got a very pleasant orange peel sweetness that cut it drastically. I experienced a tangy return of the tartness on the finish. This was a very dry beer! It really had a white wine vinousness, but it was refreshing on a Summer afternoon.

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mixed and matched a six pack with this for 10 bucks.

A - Damn big chunks of sediment ahoy yet a 1/2 inch of head that settles slowly with some lacing. Color is an obvious hazy amber brown.
S - Mostly hops and yeasts doesn't smell too dry it's not too bad.
T - Like most of their offerings its not to style it has a a drying hop character, some dry yeast and a sweet finish. It's the best part of this beer!
M - Smooth and light to medium.

Overall for under 2 bucks I didn't expect much but it was a decent hoppy saison. Best beer I had from them so far.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep gold color with a very active pure white head.
Smell is a of a spicy saison with a distinct hop aroma as well.
Taste is more of the smell. Not overdone with the spices, just enough to lead things off and into a hoppy bitterness in the finish.
The bitterness really coats your mouth and lingers.
Overall a good saison.
The website says that this beer is brewed in Jan/Feb but I just found it in July, It is definitely a summer beer.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Rapunzel from Free Will Brewing Co.