Big Star White IPA | Four String Brewing Company

fourstringbrewing.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by zimm421 on 08-24-2012

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got a sample of Big Star from a mix 12pck at the drug mart in Willard, OH. It poured a clear yellow with white head that is not leaving much of a lace. The scent is Belgian malt with pine hops. The taste is Belgian hints with slight spice and pine. The Mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this might be my favorite from Four Strings.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can, I believe this was just canned a week or so ago. Served in a DFH IPA glass, the beer pours a hazy gold color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like wheat, citrusy hops (grapefruit, lemon peel), and some clove. I think the taste is just like the aroma, but there's also some tropical fruit and a bit of mango noticeable too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. It's also refreshing and easy to drink. I liked this brew, it's a good wheaty/citrusy IPA. A good summer beer! $8.99 a sixer.

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 FL. OZ. can
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is golden colored with a slight haze. It is topped with a couple inches of white head.

S - I get some spiced pear with citrus notes.

T - The pear comes through in the taste first. Then I get some citrus. Then finish is bitter but not too bitter.

M - A bit thin.

O - I have had this beer on tap a couple times. I was happy to see it canned. It is an interesting beer. It reminds me of a hoppy Belgian pale ale. The canned version is not what I remembered the draft tasting like. It's definitely worth a try, and it's great to see another Ohio brewery canning.

4.06/5  rDev +10%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

I'm pretty sure this Four String product I've tried, and I'm glad it won't be my last. This is Raging Bitch after therapy. She's now we'll behaved and quite pleasant.

It looks typical. Yellow, fizzy and cloudy. The aroma is a treat. It smells all hoppy, yeasty and malty all at the same time, and beautifully balanced. A pleasure to hold under your nose.

The taste is of mellow ipa and mellow Belgian. Balanced. It's this a case where the American version is more balanced? Who cares, it's really good.

The aftertaste is more what you expect from a Belgian American, yeasty. Overall, I wish I had more of this. I will certainly look for it.

Upon further examination it seems this is the second Four String I've reviewed. The third week come soon.

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the growler into a tulip. Has a great white head, leaves nice lacing. Appears a nice light orange, to yellow, color.

Nose is great. Tons of citrus and tropical fruits, lots of complexities. There's also a good sweetness to it as well. Each sip starts out sweet, with the citrus following up quickly, and the bitterness following up. Everything just works together very well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with good carbonation levels. No stickiness left over, and it goes down very well. Overall this is very enjoyable. On a warm night, this is perfect. Can't wait to grab some more.

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.56/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, canned 7/31/14, poured into a pint glass
A: Light orange with a solid 1+ finger head
S: Grapefruit, wheat, coriander
T: Matches the nose. This has more wheat/Belgian influence than hops, though I do get a bit of pine
M: Light to medium-bodied, a bit spicy
O: I like the combination of IPA styles, though it could use a touch more complexity

3.21/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Looks very average, maybe less head retention than several others, but whatever. Lacing presents a full sliding sheet of fizz bubble, relaxing to what may be the most absolutely dingiest yellow I've ever seen in a beer.

Every time I swirl it, another smell pops up. At first I was getting that Belgian thing, next swirl mealy biscuit, next swirl stinging alcohol, last swirl had a little tropical bitterness.

Taste is immediately tart. Like shockingly so for the style. After that initial shock I am getting a vinous component wrapped around a fairly nondescript bitterness.

Finishes a touch more wet than I thought it would, given the heat on the nose but there is a little lingering sweetness.

Not bad, but probably not a 2nd time buyer.

2.82/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%