Tsingtao | Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

poor
good
Read the review
TsingtaoTsingtao

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.
China | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001

Reviews: 581 | Ratings: 1,672
3.04/5  rDev +9%

330ml bottle, poured into over sized Tripel Karmeliet tulip.

A: Pale, straw colour, clear, lively looking, one finger head which didn’t stick around long.

S: Faint malt and grass.

T: Malt forward, on the sweet size, slightly watery.

M: Crisp and well carbonated.

O: As far as AALs go this is OK. It’s bland but inoffensive, good hot
day beer.

2.85/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Serving: Bottle into pint
Served: 15 Jul 2014

Appearance: A thin watery yellow with a minimal white head that quickly collapses into nothing. Strong carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: This one was definitely skunked due to the green bottle, so that was extremely evident in the nose. The beer smelled pretty sweet otherwise.

Taste: At first the skunk was really overpowering, but slowly this began to fade from the beer. What was left was a sweet, relatively flavorless beer that is really not complex at all. Other than the skunk, there were no off flavors, suggesting that this one is likely better when fresh.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light.

Overall: My first beer from China, and one I've wanted to try since beginning to study Chinese last fall. Good for the tick, but not something I have the desire to ever have again. Would try again if this came canned or if I knew it was fresh and not lightstruck.

2.9/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Can version which was pretty similar to the on-tap I had in the past.
Yellow golden color with a one finger fluffy head with short retention.
Sweet aroma of jasmine, a hint of lemon and sugar. Not the usual adjunct lager scent.
Slightly sour flavor of lemons and green grapes with notes of rice, floral hops, lemongrass and a distant hint of spices. Dry aftertaste with a mild bitterness.
Light to watery body and medium carbonation.
Refreshing and crisp Adjunct Lager that doesn’t carry the usual load of off-flavors for the style and with its own character. I prefer much more rice Adjunct Lagers as this one rather than corn ones.
This should match perfectly to spicy Asian food.

2.12/5  rDev -24%

It's always tough to review an AAL, since it's a category fabricated to house certain sub-par beers. To style, this beer isn't all that bad. What kills it is the green bottle and the skunk that follows it. Not quite as bad as Moosehead, but it's up there. The head was quite nice for an AAL; downhill after that. A bit too sweet and grain-husky

1.56/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I knew this was going to be a terrible ale. Come on now, its a beer from china, right? Low expectations.. Drank the beer- expectations verified.
Well, we had a beer with a pale watery yellow hue that resembles a low end american lager. It has not much of a smell and believe me the flavor is dead as well. Mouthfeel is terrible.. Feels like I'm drinking cold mineral water over here. Overall I rate it 1.5, halfway between poor and awful because thats what it is. Only ordered it because I was a chinese joint and never tried the darn thing. Adding insult to injury is the fact that I blew three fifty on twelve ounces of it...

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle dated 092414 at 40 degrees into snifter
Aroma of a short-chained thiol – ie skunked
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, slowly diminishing to a broken 2 mm layer
Lacing good – white complete rings with mostly small bubbles
Body golden yellow, clear
Flavor slightly sour, quickly ending, then nothing; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light to medium, watery, carbonation mildly lively

Very mediocre lager, watery, flavorless in seconds, typical skunk aroma. However, the appearance is OK – nice body and decent lacing.

3.55/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Visual - A pale yellow like color similar to a hay stack that has a crystal clear yellow clarity. has a thick white head that leaves some lacing
Aroma - a grassy aroma with a hint of skunk like light struck and a slight yeast smell with a bit of spice. the green bottle leaves a skunk like odor
Taste - the flavor was a bit watery like a watered down lager and has a sour taste that would be better without.
Mouthfeel - has a very fresh and thin mouthfeel with a light finish. leaves a hint of taste behind and it lightly carbonated.
Overall - this beer is okay because the taste was refreshing to me that i could drink more

3.35/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice beer for what I prefer.

i like pale ale, non-hoppy beers, and Tsingtao fits the bill for me. The presentation isn't that great, being pale yellow with little head, but I've come to expect that with most of the beers that I prefer.

The smell is very inoffensive, and not over-powering of anything, with a slight yeast and fruit smell.

The taste is very inoffensive, not as fruity as you would expect from the smell. It leaves very little aftertaste and does not overpower your tastebuds. It goes very well with seafood or other light or delicate foods that could have flavors easily overwhelmed. A good choice for a Teppenyaki type restaurant.

The mouthfeel is the one thing I don't like about all "thin" beers, and it is no different with Tsingtao. The same thing that make the beer look pale and taste inoffensive, also make it feel as though you are drinking water. THere is no real substance to the beer. there is no real way around this except to drink a darker brew.

A likley thumbs up if you like pale brews, but not if you enjoy stouts.

2.41/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Straw yellow in color when poured, with no real head. Lots of small carbonation, what I would expect from a lager. Smells alright; sort of yeasty. Not strong smell. Not much flavor; tasted like a watered-down decent lager. The flavor was not offensive at all; it was very drinkable - just not much there. Thin and watery mouthfeel; dry finish. Nothing special. If someone gave me one, I could certainly drink it. It was light; I felt like a could drink several and not get full. I drank it with dinner; it was fine in the sense it did not compete with the food - since there wasn't a strong flavor.

3.29/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: pours a thick white head which recedes leaving some lacing. Color is a pale straw. Small amount of streaming carbonation.
Aroma: lightly toasted barley malt, yeast, a bit of grassiness.
Mouthfeel: light, crisp, refreshing, with a dry finish.
Flavor: white bread, sweet malt, grass, slight hops in the finish.

This is my first post here on beer advocate, so I apologize if I screw it up.

I will start by saying that overall, I'm not really a big fan of the "Skunky" smell and flavor that you typically get from beers in green bottles. That said, I'm living in China, so if I wan't a bottled beer, green it usually is!

Anyway, my friend recently posted a story about of her tour of the Tsingtao brewery over on her website (www.tongatime.com), and reading it reminded me of the flat out excellent flavor of this stuff when served on tap when I was in Qingdao. I don't entirely undertand all the details of this, but when you drink it on tap in Qingdao, it seems to come two different ways. The more common is the typical pilsner-lager stuff like you buy in stores, but better than the bottles in my opinion due to the distinctly missing skunk smell. If you buy the stuff in cans, it basically tastes the same to me. Not bad, but really not much going on here. Sort of like a Budweiser, if you ask me. The other way I had it on tap in a few places in Quingdao however, was some sort of unfiltered version, and oh boy, that was a pleasant surprise!!

While I anticipated (gladly) the aforementioned "lack of skunk" what I wasn't expecting was the really really nice floral hoppiness it had. It caught me off guard in such a nice way. Crisp and cold and filled my sinuses with all sorts of nice aroma. Closest thing I could compare it's taste to would probably be a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Appearance-wise, it is an attractive pale golden-yellow, mildly cloudy beer. If feels nice and smooth going down, and I found it quite easy to drink a large quantity rather quickly!

After leaving Qingdao (I live in a different Chinese city), I thought "Hot Damn, I'm gonna find this stuff in a can and be a happy Laowai!!" Sadly, this quest has thus far been unfruitful. I've found numerous different Tsingtao varieties in cans and bottles on the shelves in local stores here, but none of them that I've sampled so far have the awesome hoppiness of that cold draft stuff available near the brewery.

Amongst the ones I've tried have been the standard green label stuff, one in a white/silver can labeled "Pure Draft", a gold colored can (can't remember the name on it at the moment), and also a green bottle one labeled "Augenter" (can't find that one in a can anywhere). So far, no heavenly hoppiness!!!

If anyone knows where to get this unfiltered nectar in a can, please let me know!!! Until then, I'll have to wait until I make it over to Qingdao again and get some on tap!

Pale yellow body with a thick, fluffy white head. Funky, strong wet grass aroma. Thin grain flavor, corn-like notes and finishing with a fair hop bitterness; a bit acrid and metallic. Light, fizzy mouthfeel; crsip and dry finish.

A “classic” blah American adjunct style lager – bland, boring, and plain ol' funky/weird. But, hey, it's wet and sure does look outstanding!

4.34/5  rDev +55.6%

delicious, easy-to-drink lager that is not arrogant, pretentious, or hangover-on-the-first-sip inducing. This is China's top beer, and realistically, the only good beer coming out of China today. Multiple flavors = red label, green label, more. Tastes better on draft in mainland - the bottles travel ok to America.

2.76/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Clear, pale yellow color with a thin cap of head that fades quickly with some lacing.

Aroma: Grainy, mild malt sweetness, just a touch metallic

Taste: Thin, fairly crisp, grainy, some mild bitterness, finishes fairly fast and clean with some metallic notes.

The Rest: Meh, what can you say, it's an adjunct lager. Gets you buy in a pinch.

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the green bottle into a pint glass. A super pale straw yellow brew, maybe just a hair darker than some American examples of the adjunct lager, with the expected foaming white bubbles filling the glass. Beer remains fizzy and effervescent throughout. Smells grainy and slightly tangy, rank waterlogged barley and no trace of corn sweetness ... Rice is king here, astringent, crisp, and clean other than the aforementioned wet grain notes. Palate benefits from a cold temperature, drink up quick. Some tangy lemon rind and grape flavors, vaporous and fleeting, followed by old grain mill or malt liquor, a little like Singha but no where near as flavorful. Some medicinal aspirin and a sour metallic tang throughout. Plastic flavors emerge as the beer warms. Somewhat skunky, another feature that unfortunately gains salience over time. Stripped down. Far less sweet than most American adjunct beers. Finishes dry and with an unexpected American hop currant twang (but this feature is decidedly subtle). Meets expectations. This beer may very well complement Chinese food but that ain't going to bump up my ratings.

2.69/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12ox bottle, produced (that doesn't scream corporate) 06102013.

Appearance is a light gold, decent head that recedes to a fat ring with little to no lacing. Wet cardboard is the aroma, skunkiness is dialed down. Flavor is mineral and salt a bit, fairly bland but a tinge of flavor is found. Not offensive but not really what i'm shooting for in a beer. Still, for the price, you could do a lot worse.

3.01/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: 0.5L mug
From: Beer Advocate’s heresy22
Price: N/A
Purchased: Received it on Jan. 1, 2014
Consumed: Jan. 3, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Thanks to Chris for the beer.

Poured a golden pale clear color with about one finger of light white head. Lots of bubbles coming up. Minimal lacing on the sides. Minimal retention.

Smelled lots of wheat and barley up front, reminding me slightly of a pilsner. Also got honey, cereal, hay and caramel. Not too bad for an AAJ.

Taste didn’t quite live up to the smell. Got watery honey malts, cereal, corn, grassy notes, hay and some caramel. Very bland.

Light body. Thin texture. Soft carbonation. Watery, abrupt finish.

This beer had its moments for sure. I’d say above average for an American Adjunct Lager.

2.07/5  rDev -25.8%

Tastes like a watered-down Heineken. Has a strong skunky smell and offers a thin yet off-putting body that basically amounts to a Chinese Heineken Light. I had but one bottled poured into a glass and I'm glad I did for the sake of trying it, but I will never pay for one again. Can't recommend this one.

3.14/5  rDev +12.5%

Drank from the 600mL green glass bottle in Shanghai China.

Slightly skunky on first glance, but then pleasant in a classic beery sort of way. Grainy and grassy.

Taste has a slight bitter tang to it but is mostly grain and crackers. Pretty typical in many respects.

Overall you could do a lot worse. Here in China you can get one of these big bottles for less than a dollar (5 Rmb), unless you are at one of Shanghai's fine nighttime drinking establishments in which the price can, of course, range anywhere from 2 to 10 dollars. (12-50 Rmb). For something typical, pretty smooth, and drinkable you could do much worse than this one. Probably one of the better mass produced Chinese lagers. I'll keep coming back to this one again and again.

2.91/5  rDev +4.3%

Been living in old Manchuria for work (Northeast China) for the past month. I have drank this brew in the States and it is widely available here in China. It is not only brewed with an ABV of 4.5-4.8%, there is also a 3.7% Tsingtao, and a 4.3% draft style here in China. You can also get an unfiltered style that is available in the city of Qingdao (birthplace of Tsingtao) and a stout style Tsingtao in a can.

I've had this beer from tall cans, short cans, short bottles, and tall bottles. Poured this into a short stubby Chinese beer glass.

A-Pale, yellow piss/straw color. It poured a soda-pop-Sprite-like head that dissipated quickly into a few bubbles around the edges. No sticky lace left on the glass whatsoever. A lot of carbonation present.

S-Sweet rice, grains, and slight skunk. Pretty much an adjunct. Nothing too thrilling; but hey, it's China. They aren't known for being master brew makers in my opinion. I would've liked to smell more malt or hops, but I just couldn't sense them.

T-Slightly sweet, grainy, a little metallic, it is wet going in and the aftertaste is quite mild. There is a little sweet malt leftover in the aftertaste, which adds some positive quality to this substandard beer. It is refreshing on a warm autumn evening while eating spicy pork noodles.

M-Very light, crisp, and watery. Light bodied. It is a good lager in China.

Overall, it is what's available in China and it is one of their best beers. It is thirst quenching and is excellent for the last days of summer and the transition into fall. Are there better lagers out there...yes. Does this one hit the spot...hmmm...sure.

3.22/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was morbidly curious as to what a Chinese beer would actually taste like. Was surprised in a decent way. Not exactly a stellar beer but fit the Chinese food we were eating well. Was a more refreshing light kind of beer than anything else. I would recommend if you're not looking for anything fancy and want to try something new.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Despite the atrocious smell of this through it's actually quite delightful. It is one of the smoothest beers I have ever had and leaves a good aftertaste. It has great flavor and is always enjoyable. Hands down my favorite chinese beer, and also one of my select choice beers personally as well. I would always recommend tsingtao.

3.06/5  rDev +9.7%

I've had this on and off, mainly at Chinese and Japanese restaurants for over 25 years. I remember when this brew packed a punch and was damn tasty pre-adjunct privatization in 1993. Let's face it, when you go to an Asian restaurant, the choices for beer snobs is extremely limited and I would always get Sake. Last nite I decide to get a Tsingtao.

Pours a clear straw yellow with two inch large bubble head that calms down in timely fashion.

Aromas was very pilsenery with light sweet aromas, keeping in mind all the other wonderful food smells in this restaurant. No skunk here and I've never had a skunky Tsingtao.

Definite rice adjunct sweetness giving this the feel of a malt liquor.

Mouthfeel was medium with lower carbonation. Find it also to be filling.

On its own I could not session this-at all! This is, for me, is a beer food. The sweetness and lower carbonation pair well with wasabi, soy, ginger, sushi, sweet and sours, etc.. I would definitely get again at Asian restaurants.

2.23/5  rDev -20.1%

This was served in a bottle and I decanted to a glass.

In the glass this beer was very light straw colored. No haze, very clear. Small head with a small amount of lacing. Head disappeared very quickly. Noted carbonation rising in the glass.

The smell is the first thing that hit me. This beer smelled very skunky. Maybe it was just the restaurant and their lack of knowledge of keeping beer out of the light, when bottled in clear or green glass. I wasn't able to pick up any other undertones due to the skunk smell.

Taste followed suite with the smell. It was hard to put aside the skunky taste and search for deeper flavors.

Felt a little watery, but overall mouthfeel was not that bad.

Overall I give this beer a low score, however I will try it again from another establishment and see if it was just that particular bottle that did indeed get skunked.

3.13/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Apple juice color. Almost no head. Fades quickly. Decent lacing. Slow rising carbonation. Not really a discernible smell. Taste is better than the appearance and smell would suggest. Starts very carbonated. Finishes very smooth with a great malty taste. Leaves a pleasurable aftertaste. Overall, not bad. It was my first ever Chinese beer and I enjoyed it.

Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.