Tsingtao | Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.

poor
good
Read the review
TsingtaoTsingtao

Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.
China
tsingtaobeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-20-2001

Ratings: 1,723 |  Reviews: 594
3.14/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

One of the "1001 Beers You Should Try Before You Die" -- #15 of the ones I've reviewed here.

If I have a "guilty pleasure" in beer it's probably Tsing Tao. I can't justify my fondness for it -- it's in no way a good beer -- but I like it every now and then, and in certain venues I think it's a go-to.

Pours out a light golden yellow, with a dissapointing head that gives up the ghost the moment you remember to notice it. (Like a lot of cheaper beers, pouring it out does it no favors.) The nose is that classic mass Eurolager nose that anyone who's drunk a Becks or St Pauli Girl in their life will immediately recognize -- this time it reminds me a bit of Moosehead (another guilty pleasure of mine, actually) in that at times it's a pleasant nose of sweet malt, at times it's pretty skunky.

Very watery body, almost no hop flavors -- just a general sweetness and a kind of soothing bath of malt. Almost no finish.

Good in the summer, and the best accompaniment I know of to Chinese food, particularly very spicy Chinese food.

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

2.34/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Reminiscent of a Chinese Heineken, except with an odd medicinal aftertaste that became increasingly difficult to drink as it warmed. Decent to drink with Chinese food, but not worth the price of admission at import premiums. I also laughed when I encountered the U.S. packaging touting Tsingtao as "the number 1 selling Chinese beer in the USA"

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

4.22/5  rDev +51.3%

Served cold into a room temperature glass at a Chinese buffet restaurant.

Appearance: Golden color, crystal clear, with fluffy white head that dissipates quickly without any lacing.

Nose: Refreshingly hoppy with grassy barley hint.

Taste: Crisp, the slightest maltiness, sweet.

Feel: Light body, solid bittering, clean aftertaste.

Overall: My favorite pilsner. Distinctly crisp, clean, fresh and hoppy, with none of the soapy flavor or yeasty smell of macro lagers. It's a great lunch-time beer. It beats anything else in the category than I can think of, and the bad reviews of this enjoyable beer simply don't make any sense.

2.18/5  rDev -21.9%

A-golden yellow color with a small white head and no significant lacing

S-light malt and grassy aromas with a slight funk

T-very mild malt flavor with slight metallic taste and slight bitter finish

F-light body with moderate carbonation, crisp and slightly astringent

O-not terribly appealing, little flavor

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

1.74/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Crystal Clear Yellow Color with some mild carbonation. No head to speak of save for a filmy white cover.

Smell - As I was opening the bottle, I got a very strong and offensive skunky scent even as I was a couple feet from the bottle. Upon closer inspection, I'm getting Cereal Grains, Pils-Grassiness & Skunkiness, Corn & some malts.

Taste - The flavor is...not really there. Aside from some Pilsner & Barley notes, there really isn't any flavor and it has a VERY dry finish. The smell would indicate otherwise, but don't let that fool you.

Mouthfeel - Body is light but it has some weight. Carbonation is also quite strong but tapers off after a while. Still not what I would call refreshing or crisp

Overall - The smell is very skunky and prevalent while the flavor is almost non-existent. Although I'm not sure if I would want to taste the beer if it were made earlier just based on the smell I was getting.

3.75/5  rDev +34.4%

2.5/5  rDev -10.4%

Tsingtao from Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd.