End Of Days | Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
pdubs.net

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

End of Days is our tribute to the coming of the end... of the Maya calendar! We’ve aged this milk stout with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and ancho chilies. The result is a rich chocolaty stout, with just a hint of spice. We hope you’ll enjoy this beer before the End of Days.

The first bottled release clocked in at 6.1%, but subsequent releases will feature a tweaked recipe and ~8.5% ABV.

Batch #2 - 6.1%
Batch #12 - 8.2%

Added by MasterSki on 01-23-2012

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

Batch 106

Initally, I was going to be lazy and just mark this by a had, but as I was finishing my beer I decided there were a lot of things working for and against this beer... Due to this, the old "pet then strike" method of approach will be used in this review.

I liked the amount of heat that was provided from the anchos. In particular, I have always preferred anchos over, say chipotles... IMO Poblano peppers have a more interesting flavor profile than jalapeños. That being said, I think the flavorful spices take a backseat here. The cacao nibs are more obvious, but I would not have guessed vanilla beans were ever present.To me, the lactose helps the mouthfeel; the slight appearance of sweetness is not noticeable, however it does give it a slick mouthfeel that I appreciate.

Do not try this and expect Hunahpu, but overall this beer is worth a try for those who enjoy chile beer.

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Of the Pipeworks releases I have had, this is probably my least favorite. It was not so much a bad beer as it was a very average release for Pipeworks. Pouring a black color into the sampler glass, the aroma was a chalky sort of chocolate aroma. On the initial, one notes fruity dark chocolate. It begins warm toward the back of the throat and develops a sort of spiciness with accompanying hints of fruit. I never really sensed the creaminess of milk stout, and I probably would have never known lactose sugar was present were it not for the label suggesting a milk stout. To me, it seemed more like a weak Russian Imperial Stout than a Milk Stout.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

2.89/5  rDev -21.7%

22oz bottle, batch 62 in a box from ikaika122

This is crazy over-carb'd. Wax cap popped off once I loosened it. First ounce+ out of the bottle filled a small snifter with head. When it settled there was less than 1" in the bottom of the glass.

Smells a bit of cinnamon soap. Once the head dissolves into liquid, there isn't much body left, there isn't much aroma left. And the rest of this suffers quite a bit as a result. The spice notes dominate the taste, not really in a good way. This is a bit like drinking improperly made chai.

Big thanks to ikaika122 for sending a bottle I've been wanting to try, unfortunately this doesn't live up to expectation and is, by far, the weakest of all the Pipeworks offerings I've had. I wouldn't be seeking this out in the bottle again, though I would be curious to see what, if any, difference draft made for this.

Since 3.00 is now 'okay' and not 'average', I think a 3.00 rating across the board is the best this could do and the bottle I had didn't even hit that level.

(204th)

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: black, dark brown head, no lace, fair retention.

Aroma: chocolate, chilies, pepper, roast, vanilla.

Taste: .chocolate milk is the biggest flavor here, finished with a very mild pepper note, thankfully no cinnamon...that shit is gross.

Mouthfeel: creamy, smooth, low carbonation, full body.

Digging the lack of cinnamon here and its kinda like chocolate milk, so, good stuff!

4.5/5  rDev +22%

22oz bomber from batch #136 poured into Russian River snifters and consumed with a friend today, 6/14/2013.

Aroma: Lactose, roast malts, a bit of vanilla and small hints of pepper heat. It's a delicious smelling beer with a lot going on, but the nose isn't particularly explosive here. (4)

Colour: Fairly typical looking dark cola body with a nice fluffy 1cm tan head that dissipates slowly. Lacing is there, but it all becomes a thin tan collar in the end. Nothing special but a nice dark and appetizing beer. (4)

Flavour: Sweet lactose mixed in with a bit of roasty malt sweetness. There's a bit of vanilla and chocolate bitterness, and the back end is a very subtle spiciness. I think the beer would be much improved if the spiciness was a bit more noticeable, but overall a nice delicious combination of flavours. (4)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, semi-decent carbonation. Leaves a finish that isn't particularly dry nor refreshing. Very drinkable at 8.2%. Aftertaste is mostly cocoa bitterness with very, very small hints of spice. (4)

Overall: Tasty milk stout, very drinkable with a decent bit going on. However there is no one ingredient that really stands out from the background combination and I think having a little more vanilla or pepper spice would make this beer stand out a bit more. Nevertheless I really enjoyed drinking this beer and would buy it again. (4)

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%