End Of Days | Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
pdubs.net

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

End of Days is our tribute to the coming of the end... of the Maya calendar! We’ve aged this milk stout with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and ancho chilies. The result is a rich chocolaty stout, with just a hint of spice. We hope you’ll enjoy this beer before the End of Days.

The first bottled release clocked in at 6.1%, but subsequent releases will feature a tweaked recipe and ~8.5% ABV.

Batch #2 - 6.1%
Batch #12 - 8.2%

Added by MasterSki on 01-23-2012

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14%

4.07/5  rDev +7.7%

Before I really,... really got into craft beers, I took a stroll into my local Binny's and reached for this bottle. I was into DIPA's at the time, although I really enjoyed stouts, until I had encountered Hoptimum by Sierra Nevada. (I love the feel of those tongue-coating beers) That day, I was in the mood for a drinkable chocolate, and I really enjoyed those chili infused chocolates that were popping up here and there. Being of Thai background, I love my heat. This is the stout that sparked by interest in chili chocolate stouts. The chocolate is there. The chili is there, and leaves just enough spice on the tongue to leave you wanting more. Although after being spoiled by Bourbon County's delicious thickness, I immediately thought, "boy, I wish this was an imperial stout with more body", but the flavors are all there and on point. Overall, an enjoyable intro to the chocolate chili world.. as the more you find, the genre just keeps getting better.

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a tulip/snifter hybrid glass. A thick "coffee with cream"-colored head erupted and faded quickly, leaving the opaque-brown brew to sit in the glass headless. The smell was nice, a lot of dark chocolate/cocoa, some toasted malt, and a slight hint of vanilla. Tasted moderated sweet with the toasted malts upfront followed by the dark chocolate/cocoa in the finish and a light-ish side of medium mouthfeel. What was surprising was the spiciness. Literally, this beer left a warm spicy feeling at the back of my throat that lingered, almost ground black pepper-like. It was actually very interesting, and although probably not for everyone, I enjoyed the spicy characteristic of this one. A good beer I'd have again, and an interesting take on a milk stout.

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Umm. Wow. Pulled this one out to let it warm for about 45 minutes before serving and that really still wasn't enough to pull everything Beejay and crew put in back out of it. Nice light boozy ring in the swirl showing off the 8.2 abv inside. There was a sort of dark caramel color in the base of the glass translating into a very dark brown almost black up top. You can't see through the glass that's for sure, and I don't recall much head, so it must've been thin and died out pretty quickly. I'm not terribly concerned about the carbonation because this is a kind of beer where the flavors should have a lot of room to be themselves and the carbonation needs to be natural in in its presence to the point of taking a back seat to them.
Really well done for where the flavors introduce themselves into the palate and tasting. The peppers only seem to say hello in the most polite way on the back and afterwards with a pleasant warming that sort of mimics the alcohol ringing the glass from swirling. Up front, it's a dance between the vanilla, lactose, cinnamon and cacao. That's also where the smell is. The cacao, and the vanilla seem most prominent from what I can recall. The ancho peppers are in back someplace, and just as in the tasting, they take their time to be detected.
This isn't a beer I'd want too many of in one session, but it's definitely one that is remarkable in what it sets out to do. Which must be something between a desert beer and a breakfast beer. Definitely one to pour into a goblet of some sort to let warm up as there is a lot to talk about with it, if talking about beer is your thing. This is a beer that could handle quite nicely placed into the right kind of barrel and given the time to grow and develop. Definite creeper potential.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

I found this beer to be unique, exciting, and exactly what I was in the mood for at the time. You can taste the cacao and the chile peppers- but it also still tastes like beer (I.e. it's not flavored to the point that its not recognizable as beer, a criticism many lob at flavored beers like pumpkin ales, etc). It receives a 5 from me mostly due to its uniqueness and its agreement with my personal taste. But such a bold and brave beer deserves to be rewarded. A friend desrcibed it was a party in one's mouth, and she's rit even though that's a litrle cliché and juvenile. If you don't like Mexican hot chocolate, you likely won't like this beer; if you don't like beer, you likely won't like this beer (or be on this website). If flavored beers aren't your thing, you may only give this a 3 or a 4. But it was a privilege to taste this beer and will remain a personal favorite for me. Definitely requires long sips, or you'll miss a lot. Enough to make me a lifelong fan of Pipeworks.

End Of Days from Pipeworks Brewing Company