Ninja Vs. Unicorn | Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
pdubs.net

Style: American Imperial IPA

Ninja vs. Unicorn celebrates the epic battle between two of the biggest hop-heads of lore. Brewed with over five pounds of hops per barrel, this unfiltered double IPA is sure to please the most discerning hop lover. Whether you’re rooting for the mythical horned horse or the deadly assassin of the east, we hope you’ll enjoy Ninja vs. Unicorn.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 441 | Ratings: 2,637

Great beer. I don't really like fruity beers, but the minimal fruity taste combined with the hoppy nature of an ipa makes this one worthy of being in your refrigerator alongside your other favorite brews.

Very good beer, beautiful amber color. Nice foamy carbonated head and gorgeous lacing. Taste is very bright with very little bitterness. Get nice tropical / citrus flavor. Very good beer

Great beer. Available in cans now in Chicago area and easier to find. Intense yet still balanced. One of the best DIPAs I've had; def one of the most drinkable.

4.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Favorite IPA out there. I have had all the big dogs, alpine, Floyd's, heady topper. Ninja vs unicorn is my favorite. It's good every damn time. So floral! I think the nose is my favorite part. I know they switch the hops a little but it is outstanding! I drink it anytime I can.

4.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Got this 22oz bomber as an extra in a trade and i was surprised. pours nice clear golden amber with a nice foamy head and lacing. Aroma is awesome, full of pine, citrus and hints of lemon. This unfiltered double ipa is just hop forward for all the hop lovers out there. definitely recommend this !!!!

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

This is an exceptional beer. I was fortunate enough to have it first from the can at a Phish show in Alpharetta, GA. I was then even more fortunate to have it on draft at the Pipeworks pop up bar in Chicago in May (props to the bartender at Revolution for telling me about it). I am currently drinking it from the tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

This beer is citrus hops all the way. From the nose to the bottom it is a delicious, juicy hop assault on your taste buds.

As I have shown, this is a destination beer - one by which you pick your destination for the evening.

4.85/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pour into my snifter Batch # 289 90 91

A- A very bright orange with a very light white head.

S- This beer smells amazing it hits you with just citrus goodness. You smell orange, citrus, pineapple, and mango.

T- A lot like it smells, a lot of citrus, mango, and pineapple. You get that sweet citrus taste then a little piney and ends with a nice but not overpowering bitter taste.

M- very little carbonation which is okay for the style. you taste the alcohol but it is not much of a burn it is balanced will with the hops.

O- This is an amazing DIPA. I wish I would of bought more then just the one. I thought this was going to be just a really bitter DIPA but it is complete different very sweet.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

APPEARANCE: I poured this beer three minutes ago and have not touched it. The head is still fully intact, about a finger’s worth. Some random big bubbles are lodged inside this otherwise creamy head. Below the head is a UT-style burnt orange colored beer with a bit of haze. The lacing is nearly perfect with a thicker ring around the top, but coverage of about 95% of the backside of the glass for the rest of it.

SMELL: I love this smell; orange, chalky and earthy. As the beer warms some more traditional grapefruit and pine aromas reach the nose.

TASTE: Piney, resinous and dank…oh wait, no, maybe this is big, juicy, freshly hopped and citrusy like a Double IPA should be…or maybe it’s both. Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, mandarin, lemon, grass, dirty, anise, chalk, lemon, deliciousness. Motherf…er, this is a beautiful tasting beer.

MOUTHFEEL: Rich, creamy, yet still very smooth. These are not words that are typically heard in the description of a Double IPA, but they work. And this is most certainly a DIPA. The hop character is decidedly and bright and fresh even if it lacks the sparkle that typically compliments the Imperial IPA.

OVERALL: It doesn’t get much better than this. My three desert island beers only change once in a while, like maybe every 10 months or so…and I think this one just gained that status. I love this beer.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

In one word, I would describe this beer as clean. It's an easy beer to drink, but it's still a DIPA. The flavor is hoppy with grapefruit and assorted citrus. It's very light on malt flavor. The feel is on the lighter side which matches the citrus really well. It comes off like a meticulously crafted beer. I highly recommend it.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice unfiltered gold. The smell is the tits. Tons of citrus, mango, peach, orange, juicy as hell. The taste is amazing. Your mouth gets attacked by a sweet, almost lightly reminiscent of cotton candy taste, before you get hit by a wave of citrus. Sweet mango, tart orange and citrus hit you in that order, before a nice dank aftertaste lingers. Similar lingering dankess to heady, although more citrus. The mouthfeel is super creamy, definitely NE style ipa feel, covers your mouth, love it.

4.79/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Purchased while vacationing in the wonderful Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago, this beer delighted right out of the 16 oz can with an excellent golden color and a sour/sweet olfactory profile reminiscent of the finest Thai restaurants. Don't linger on the odd implication this asian cuisine reference hints at because the flavor is pure canned American freedom. Excellent beer poorly named that I would buy again without hesitation. Cheers!

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer beer before but did not review it so I'm happy to get my hands on it again to do this review.

Look: Beer comes in a medium golden color with a medium plus haze. Not much head but the few millimeters of foam that is there lingers with a nice creaminess.

Smell: Aroma is very much of tropical fruit; super ripe Mango and Papaya. A faint yeastiness on the back end. A little dankness as well but nothing offensive.

Taste: Flavor is nothing like the aroma. Lots of citrus; Orange and Grapefruit leads on the palate. Nice and juicy with just enough bitterness on the finish to keep the beer from tasting syrupy.

Mouthfeel: Awesome mouth-feel here. Coats the tongue nicely but doesn't leave any drying bitterness on the back end.

Overall(Style Points): Awesome beer from Chi Town! Although, it's not quite as good as the best stuff coming out of NE It has all of the characteristics that I look for in a DIPA. 97 Points!

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer continues to be one of the best I've encountered, yet I have a hard time putting a description to it.

It's hazy and light looking, smells fresh and light, then you sip it...

Yeah, that's what you want! It's sweet but not sweet, hoppy but not bitter, light but heavy, etc. it's my enigma. I wish I had the palate or vocabulary to give this beer justice. I don't.

It's awesome, drink as much of it as you can.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can. From latiendadelacerveza. In Teku glass. Playing Avernun 2. Superb west coast ipa, with all its notes perfectly assembled and a really well hidden abv, making it very crushable and utterly treacherous

4.73/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

L: Small white head with decent retention on top that leaves a see through film to the last drop. A hazy, golden body that changes from predominantly orange to yellow under brighter light. I am also giving credit here for awesome can art!

S: Before I could even pour the sweet pine and hops hit my nose. Once poured, the tropical fruits are more prominent. On tap, the fruit was even more obvious.

T: Hits upfront with slight bitterness from the hops with malt and a dash of pine. The mango and pineapple hit nicely in the middle and spreads softly over the tongue. The hops and malt pop back up on the back of the tongue leaving a gentle bitter finish. Again, on tap it was sweeter with more fruit flavors that really popped in the middle.

F: Medium to heavy body that really compliments the mixture and balance of flavors. Just the right amount of carbonation that makes this very drinkable.

O: Easily one of my new favorites. Too bad we only get them in every few weeks with only 1 can allowed at a time. Thankfully it is on tap at a local bar and unsurprising is better on tap, but I'll take the can any day.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on a 4 pack, and this one did not disappoint. The smoothest DIPA I have had to date. I definitely get pineapple and grapefruit among the many fruit notes. As long as this is available, this will be a staple in my rotation. Reasonably priced at $12 for a 4 pk of 16 oz cans.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Deep gold with a happy cap of funny foam. Sticky veins cling my happier glass.

Candied pineapple, mint, marshmallow and pine. Reminds me of The Calling by Boulevard, which I love - but the aroma is grander than Roma.

Carbonation is light but tight. My hair is jumping and my tongue is swinging

A real contender for the top spot

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Golden color, thin white head, I give it a plus for the coolest can art on the market. Smell is uber tropical and summer fruits strawberry, mango, melon. The taste is not as rich as the smell indicates but it bounces between hop resin and juicy fruit. Feel is dry and bitter finish, slightly sticky but not over the top. Excellent Double IPA

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours an extremely pleasing hazy honey color. Very light carbonation. Smells almost tropical with bright citrus and pineapple notes. Tastes of tangerine and citrus. Wonderful flavors hit the tongue on impact. Goes down effortlessly.

= A brilliant beer. The artwork on the can drew me in but the taste is what I’ll remember. Home run DIPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Not sure what the battle between mythical creature and a ninja has to do with a double IPA, and I'm not sure I care...because this is a damn good beer. Huge hit of citrus hops, not too bitter, easy drinking for an 8%er. Pipeworks is now canning this one too. Great beer.

4.69/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer begins with a citrusy aroma, and has a pale golden hue. It has a very soft taste and mouthfeel for an 8% DIPA, but man is it sure tasty. Highly recommend this brew. Thanks Jeff!

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bomber into tulip glass

A- Deep redish brown with 1 finger white head
S- Hops, Sweet roasted malt
T- Not as hoppy as I thought it would be, but I loved the taste. Rich balance of malt and hops
M- Almost creamy

O- I freaking loved this beer. Not super hoppy, but an amazing balance of malt and hops with no bitterness. All sweet goodness. I can't wait to get more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An outstanding DIPA. Juicy, tropical hoppy notes dominate here, with ripe mango and papaya coming through amongst a sweet, almost honeyed feel. A hophead’s delight. Dangerously drinkable at 9%.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just scooped up some Pipeworks while in Chicago, and brought it back to Boston. The can indicated it was less than 2 weeks old, so this was fresh.
Split 2 cans with Chris & Mike, who were bragging about this new beer they just had called 'Blue Moon'......so the bar was low for them enjoying this.
This poured a clearish orange color, and the smell was very citrusy. Hops hit you right away, but this isn't a crazy hop bomb....a solid DIPA. Only thing I didn't like is the can....looks like an acid trip. As I get older I like beer cans to just state their name, ABV, date made, and preferably their beer advocate rating. I think all cans should be as basic as Duff Beer labeling.
I have a feeling Pipeworks is going to be a lot more visible in the marketplace in the years ahead..........oh great, Chris is showing us his favorite cat videos. Ugh

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a great Double IPA, and as far as I'm concerned one of the best bang for your buck you can buy in the Midwest, IPA wise.

Super Citrusy and Piney with, yet with a great hop nose. While I didn't drink it very often, I felt that the pre-canning version was a little sweeter, while it's now allowed the hop bitterness to come through a bit more.

Either way, it's a great beer, and I'd put it up against any other brewey's standard IPA/DIPA.

Ninja Vs. Unicorn from Pipeworks Brewing Company