Hyper Dog | Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
pdubs.net

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Jones Dog with cacao nibs, vanilla beans, and coffee.

Added by MasterSki on 03-20-2012

2.41/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Batch #80
Poured into snifter

Appearance - Dark brown, kinda like black coffee. Minimal caramel-colored head fizzed up and faded. No lacing.

Smell - Cocoa, coffee, roasted malt.

Taste - Strong coffee mixed with boozy cocoa water. Expected something different. Expected more.

Mouthfeel - Very light carbonation. Light watery body. Leaves a slight film as it goes down and fades quickly.

Overall - This is why I hate spending almost $10 on an unknown product. It's not horrible; it's just pretty blah. Definitely not a drain pour, it's just gonna take me a while to finish it. I capped the 90% full bottle, put it in the fridge and cracked a different beer. Sad.

3.1/5  rDev -21.7%

A- Jet black stout. medium lacing with great retention.

S- Smells off for a milk stout. I am not getting any noticeable notes; just maybe some oak.

T- I am expecting a smooth, milky stout. This is not what I am getting. I am getting too much carbonation for me to examine this as a milk stout. I am getting a watered-down tobacco taste. Weird.

M- Terrible. The carbonation ruins this milk stout. Too much carbonation goes down the throat, and there is too much on the palate for me to distinguish any proper milk stout characteristics.

O- I was disappointed with this take on a milk stout. Pipeworks has let me down with the two beers that I have had from them.

3.28/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On-draught @ Local Option:

B- (3.28) / WORTHY

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours jet black with a decent sized coffee colored head. No retention and just slight lacing down the glass.

Smells like milk chocolate with some light roast coffee. Can tell there is lactose in this.

More milk chocolate on the palate. Finishes grainy with some coffee notes. While sweet up front, the finish is a bit drier and bitter.

Fairly smooth mouthfeel although it feels a bit thin at times. Finish is slightly astringent.

Not the best beer I've had from Pipeworks. Would have liked to see a more complex flavor profile.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle $7.99. Typical stout appearance, not much head. Aroma of chocolate and mild coffee. Flavor is coffee and a lot of sweetness, not my bag really.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into pint glass.

A: Pours dark brown to black in color. Forms a thin tan head with no visible carbonation.

S: This smells like cold coffee. And that's really about all I get.

T: Cold coffee is 90% of the flavor here, but it is rounded out a bit by some nice vanilla notes.

M: Thick mouthfeel. Mild bitter coffee hang but it lasts for longer than I'd like.

O: This is an OK beer, but it strikes me as a one trick pony...coffee, coffee & more coffee. The flavors that are present are good; what this beer does it does well. I would have preferred a more complex flavor profile, but if you're looking for a pure coffee-flavored brew, this might be the one for you.

Hyper Dog from Pipeworks Brewing Company