Glaucus | Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
pdubs.net

Style: Belgian IPA

Glaucus is the mythological existence of a being, both man and fish, a deity amongst mere mortals. The only beer fitting of such a name marries bold, spicy Belgian yeast with bright, citric American hops in a way even the gods adore. This golden brew can calm even the harshest seas. It's been awhile since we've brewed this beer, and we couldn't be happier that it's back.

Added by MasterSki on 05-29-2012

4.1

4.88/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours hazy, gold in color with 1/4 inch head. Taste is lemon, lime, herbs, coriander, cardamom, and other Belgian spices. Super light bodied, sweet with slight bitterness, and high carbonation. Delicious. One of the better examples I have had in the style. I could sip this all day.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

I've had a few other Belgian IPA's before and although I like them, there hasn't been one that ever blew me away. Until I had this. I bought a bottle of this on a Tuesday at my Binny's in Chicago and they had rows of them on the shelves. I went back on Friday to buy more and found out that this was totally sold out. So I guess this will be my only one for now...

Served from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a light golden, straw color with about 1 to 1 1/2 fingers of head. Slightly hazy when held up to the light.

S - It smelled a little bready with a slight piney / hoppy smell too.

T - The taste of this beer blew me away. I was expecting a lot of hops right away, but it was a nice, subtle, floral hoppiness. Not the normal citrusy / pine hops I've been getting in every IPA lately. The hops are balanced out by a very nice sweetness too. I'm guessing lots of Belgian candy sugar? I loved the taste of this.

M - Mouth feel was medium - not overly thick. The carbonation was really nice though, with fine little bubbles.

O - I don't have a ton of other Belgian style IPAs to compare this to, but this is definitely my favorite. A+

4.51/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Honey golden straw with tons of haze, its hard to see through for being so light in color.

Smell: This is my favorite part of this beer I think. TONS of floral hop scent are present with a sweet candy like bite.

Taste: Matches the smell, delicious.

Another amazing beer by Pipeworks. If these guys continue to put out quality beer like this local Chicago brewers will need to watch out!

Glaucus from Pipeworks Brewing Company