Citra | Pipeworks Brewing Company

Pipeworks Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
pdubs.net

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Our Imperial IPA hopped with so many, really just so many, pounds of Citra hops is one of our favorites to brew, mostly because it's one of our favorites to drink. Cheers! Drink early and often.

Added by emerge077 on 11-15-2012

#248
Liked:
4.41/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,370 |  Reviews: 141

1.75/5  rDev -60.3%

A: Dark. Really dark. Burnt orange. The whole time I was thinking that this was a joke and that it was some sort of imperial amber or red ale. Did I mention this is dark?

S: There's some of that citra smell that we all know and love, and then there's the cereal. If Kellog's made hop cereal, I bet this is what it would smell like. My sense of foreboding about this ninja is increasing...

T: I'll be honest, not good. It's just so damn malty. It's like the first time you do homebrew and you taste the wort and you imagine how this could be a beer but you have to work at it because it's just malt. Sure, there's some citrus and fruit but it's buried DEEP in an underwater malt canyon with no hope of recovery.

M: thick and a little syrupy like you'd expect given the above. Of course it wouldn't matter if the mouthfeel was a full on erotic mouth massage, the mouthfeel can't make up for the taste.

O: I was so excited to try this beer, so excited to finally try some Pipeworks, and I really really wanted to like it. I'm into the Pipeworks "thing": the experimentation, the small batches and the crazy art and so on. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed with this beer and very confused about the high rating here. This is unlike any DIPA I've ever had, and not in the good way. I couldn't even finish it. It's just so absurdly malty. DISCLAIMER: it's possible my experience was partly ruined because I drank this with some friends right after drinking a phenomenal citra single hop (Revolution Citra Hero) but even ignoring that this would not ever be a beer I'd want to try again. Ever.

2.25/5  rDev -49%

Batch 503/504 (less than a month from the brew date)

So far from a world-class, top 250 beer it makes me sad. Malt bomb, none of that Citra deliciousness you want.

2.55/5  rDev -42.2%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep copper. Hazy body. Doesn't pour with much head at all. Just a slight welling of bubbles at the end. No head. Some lacing, but that's all.

Smell - Citrus and grapefruit hop. Very malty. Buttery, too, which is the only thing I can smell after a while.

Taste - Much hoppier here, but fairly abrasive. Orange hop. Tons of caramel malt, but it dries out quickly with a boozy bite. Very bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Boozy, harsh, a little sweet. Very dry.

Overall - How is this rated well at all? My bottle is fresh, but tastes old.

3.32/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a pint glass.

A: Much darker than what I'm used to seeing from a DIPA... Deep, dark amber... almost red-hued, with a frothy head that quickly fades into a light lacing.

S: Loads of citrusy fruits: grapefruit, mango, passionfruit. Detecting something else... I don't know what... almost onion-y in scent.

T: I get way more pine than fruit, some honey, and a bready malt backbone that feels a little off balance to me. Finish is long and bitter.

M: Heavier than most DIPAs I've had, moderate carbonation.

O: Like most other Pipeworks beers I've tried, this wouldn't stack up as a favorite, and I find myself wondering how this beer, like so many of their offerings, garners so much word of mouth. Not a bad beer by any means, but I've yet to try a Pipeworks beer that I'd consider to be "World Class", Citra Ninja included.

3.36/5  rDev -23.8%

The coloring was orange but it took a reddish hue in low light so that the two colors had a sunset appearance. The head was thick and foamy with a good white color.

The scent is very creamy, with resinous piney hops and a butterscotch aroma. There is some fruity scents like grapefruit and tangerines.

My first impression of the taste was buttered popcorn with an actual butter taste and a bready malty underpinning. There is then a floral hop flavor that ends the taste.

No one else in my tasting group picked up on the buttery taste and I know that my palate doesn't do well with large doses of Citra. All I can be is honest in my personal taste and I did not receive this well.

3.36/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to djcorrao for the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy burnt orange/copper. Head is off-white and drops to a small cap in short order. Some sheet of lacing stick in clumps and rings. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Citra and caramel and biscuity malts. Tropical fruit. Some mango and passionfruit with cooked and caramelized malt sweetness. Some tangerine as well. Touches of orange. Something like a fruit smoothies. Touches of toasted malt. Very bready. Undercooked dough. Maybe even some banana.

Taste: Big bready malt layered over a load of tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, tangerine, and a touch of peach. Seriously a smoothies. Bready malts carry some lingering caramel sweetness. Cooked and caramelized malt sugars. Some backing pine needle bitterness. Warming pushes a bit more caramelized sweetness Pithy.

Mouthfeel: Fuller side of medium body. Moderate carbonation with a lingering dryness on the back. Smooth until then.

Overall: The beer equivalent of Beverly Hills Ninja.

In the end it's solid, but it's no ninja movie. A more subtly use of Citra yes, but it loses some of that Citra magic as a result. Nice to drink, but there are better Citra-centered beers on the market.

3.36/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to 316nuts. Pours a deep reddish amber. This almost looks like an imperial red ale. It's somewhat cloudy. The head is medium to small and off-white. Bubbles fade to not much after a minute. The aroma has a lot of caramel malt with some solid citrus and tropical fruit hoppiness. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango, white grape, peach, mint. Some spice. Doughy, caramely malt. Mild booze. A little bubblegum. Taste is sweet, but the caramel malt character is restrained. Medium to medium-high bitterness. Good hop flavor. More of the same mix of citrus, tropical and other fruit notes. The mixture of bitter and sweet gets in the way of the hop complexity a bit. It just gets a bit harsh in the finish. Some alcohol heat but it's mostly hidden. Normal carbonation. A bit heavy. Hop oily. Just a little cloying, at least for my taste. This doesn't fit my preferences in the style, but I can appreciate why others like it.

3.48/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle was from Batch 623-626 1/31/15
Most likely was past it's best by date and this may be a reflection of how quickly these type high octane dipa's can drop off. I would put money on it that a fresh one of these would be fantastic

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Don't need to justify my rating

Citra from Pipeworks Brewing Company