Galaxy Unicorn | Pipeworks Brewing Company

Illinois, United States
pdubs.net

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Also known as Unicorn Galaxy

Our friends south of the equator really have this hop growing thing figured out and we are ecstatic they do. Without them we couldn't bring you Unicorn Galaxy. We built a platform of malted barley and wheat then atop that we constructed our ode to Galaxy hops. The hop character really shines through with aromas and flavors of tropical fruit, tangerine, citrus, passion fruit and fresh cut grass. Drink early, drink often.

Added by emerge077 on 12-11-2012

#387
Liked:
4.37/5
Alströms:

This is one of the best ipas that I've had in a long while. Very original brew. It looks like an unfiltered iipa, no sediment.

This is no typical new england style ipa nor is it some typical west coast style ipa. The galaxy is on full display and I'm a sucker for galaxy hops. I've also never had a beer balanced around galaxy hops that tasted anything like it. Its clearly not a single hop brew and thats not a bad thing. What they did complements the brew very well. Its also very sweet which I love about green and found lacking with very green. I do love very green for a different reason but would take green over the two for a regular beer. I only bring that up since green is probably my favorite brew. The balance of this matches it imo. Pipeworks yeast is apparently also very neutral which I enjoy. I would never guess that this was 9.5% abv. Thats normally past what I would consider ideal for a iipa. The heat is present but balanced out very well, the sweetness more than makes up for it. Its also bitter enough to scratch the itch. Just a very well rounded brew. Its juicy, malty, a little resinous. It hits every note that I would look for in a iipa and not in a way that I've had from any other brew that I've tried. This is at least worth trying. And if you don't like it, don't rate ipas. I don't want your opinion.

Galaxy Unicorn from Pipeworks Brewing Company