Papaw's Red | Country Boy Brewing

Papaw's RedPapaw's Red
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 14
4.14/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this poured into a pint glass. Appearance is unique, reddish auburn, lighter than i would have expected. Flavor and aroma are good, lots of malt, molasses, and bourbon. Mouthfeel is harsh, even for the genre. Good, but not great.

4.01/5  rDev +1%

750 ml bottle served in a Duvel glass. Pours a deep brownish-orange, almost like a liquefied caramel. Settles about the same in the glass. Menacingly opaque, this beer is very interesting in color. Brownish-purplish-orange? Pretty cool. Barely any head initially, but I managed to get nearly 1 finger of bubbly off-white foam after putting my aggressive-pour face on. Strong notes of roasty caramel, English toffee, and bready malt on the nose. There is a notable bourbon aroma as well, but it's not as overly-assertive as I've encountered in some BBA beers. Surprisingly light weight with a underwhelmingly thin & watery mouthfeel. Thickens up a bit as it warms on the palate, but not what I was hoping for in terms of a mouthfeel. Upon tasting, I get a decent amount of bourbon up front with an equally decent amount of caramel. Some oaky notes in there as well. As I continue to drink this beer, I'm still trying to detect any real flavor aside from the obvious caramel and bourbon, but I'm coming up empty. Fairly consistent from start to finish, but leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion. Finishes watery, but goes down easy enough. Leaves a sweet caramel-candy aftertaste behind with lingering bourbon.

Man, I was looking forward to this beer being bottled for a while now. As much as I hate to say it, it left a lot to be desired for me. It had good potential, but I feel like they bottled this thing half-way through. It's lacking any real depth in terms of a flavor profile, and the thin mouthfeel just doesn't really fit. On the flip side, what was there was well-balanced. The caramel notes were sweet, but not cloyingly-so. The bourbon was tamed enough to be very enjoyable; I think if this beer had a body that was more profound, a stronger bourbon presence would've been nice. But as it is, it was well-thought out.

3.69/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is very sweet, with deep brown sugar notes that accent the huge bourbon caramel and soft vanilla notes nicely. Fairly boozy, with oak dryness rounding out.

Flavor reveals a backbone of fruity specialty malt, which is almost cough syrup-like. Big cherry notes, likely from the interaction of specialty malt and citrusy hops. The finish is dry, oaky, and peppery. Drier than I recall from past batches. Fairly hot. The toasted malt and light caramel notes meld with barrel oak well. Vanilla emerges as it warms.

The more I drank of it, the less I cared for it. A shadow of what it once was.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

2015 release, on tap at the brewery. Look, nothing will ever be the 2013 release, which remains my favorite, but this is a solid effort. Aged 8 months in Old Forester barrels, this is sweet, but not overly so. Lots of caramel notes and fairly boozy for only 9%.

Eager to try it from the bottle, will update.

Papaw's Red from Country Boy Brewing