Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cliff Jumper IPA | Country Boy Brewing

countryboybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BEERchitect on 01-24-2012

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Had on tap at a local restaurant. An overall fine IPA with a lot of citrus notes and a good malt backbone. Drank it with hot Buffalo Wings and it paired quite nicely. I would certainly recommend anyone who enjoys this style to give this one a try.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving- On Tap at their Brewery/TapRoom

Appearance- Enjoyed this outside so it had more ambient light than I normally get to see with my brews. That being said, it appeared golden. That was about it. Not dark by any stretch but not light. Right in the sweet-spot range for a good, basic IPA. Nice half-finger head which dissipated within a few minutes.

Nose- Slightly more grassy than I get with a lot of IPA's. That was the only note that stood out in my mind as being different than a lot of others in this style. Also, plentiful light Citrus. Perhaps some zesty citrus like lemon. Nice smell. Really solid. You know before you take a drink it's gonna be good.

Taste- Oh yeah, this one is good! Archetypical IPA- Perfect bitterness up front with a bit of malty finish you can tell it's got a good amount of malt backbone to balance it out. There is also that grassiness once more, this time in the taste in addition to the smell. As it warms I seem to get more pine as well. Great.

Overall- I really like this beer. I only was able to enjoy one the day I dropped by but I would no doubt get this any time I had the option to. If it were available in bottles/cans locally I'd love to keep a 6 pack in my fridge all the time. Really everything good about this style highlighted in a copper pint glass.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%