Shotgun Wedding | Country Boy Brewing

Country Boy Brewing
Kentucky, United States
countryboybrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Brown ale brewed with bourbon-soaked vanilla beans.

Added by kaips1 on 05-08-2012

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can, canned on 10/05/17. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy brown/copper color with about an inch light tan head. Head retention is good, and there's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is nice, the brew smells like vanilla, nuts, bready malt and toffee. Taste is similar to the aroma but there's also some dark breadiness and a bit of chocolate noticeable too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's smooth and easy to drink with a moderate amount of carbonation. I thought it was a good, enjoyable brown ale. Glad I got to try this one, certainly worth trying if you've never had it before! $1.99 for a single can.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.83/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.74/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Doesn't have much of a finish.

3.62/5  rDev -5%

Good aroma. Really had me hopeful! Took a sip and initially was impressed, then it just kinda dropped off. Every sip is similiar, initial rush of flavor, then just whimpers out.
Still quite drinkable. Just so much promise initially, with no follow through.

3.39/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can - dark brown with reddish hues on the fringes accompanied by a dark tan head that clings to the glass but doesn't stay long. Very clear and light enough to see my fingers through my Belgian tulip glass.

Smells pretty darn good - definitely vanilla, with some vanilla and a touch of fruity dark malts.

Tastes much like it smells; vanilla dominates but takes on a twangy taste - not sure if it's extract or cheap vanilla beans. The beer tastes very clean and there really isn't much character to it other than the vanilla.

Mouthfeel/body is where this beer craps out - it is way thin and finishes too dry for a decent brown ale.

Overall I can see how this beer is very mass marketed and does well. It definitely has vanilla, is definitely brown but it lacks character and repeatability for anyone other than a Bud Light drinker looking to expand their horizons for the first time.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This is my first review, being new to the site and recently turning 21 I'm quite inexperienced, that being said you may want to take my review with a grain of salt. I have no craft beer experience.
Overall this beer was a good beer, the flavor was great. This beer is a brown ale aged on vanilla beans, however, I couldn't hint any out. The initial taste was great, but the finish left something to be desired.
I'm sure this beer would be a lot better on draft, I will be sure to try it given the availability!

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

This is a very good throw back beer. Drinkable and perfect for a cooler around a campfire. Finishes with a nice hint of vanilla.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

I'm a long-time Lexingtonian, so I'm predisposed to enjoy brews from my hometown. I'm biased towards West Sixth, but I've been hoping to find a Country Boy beer I can really get behind. This one almost does it: the sweet, almost crème brûlée thing gets going in your mouth, and then after you swallow, the taste and feel just... die. Then there's a bit of an earthy-dirt aftertaste. If this only had but a wee hops kick at the end, I'd be buying it regularly. As it is, I'll sometimes order it as the best local draft choice at some Lexington chain restaurants, but I'm always hoping it will be just a little bit better.

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Twelve ounce can pours a cola brown with two fingers of tan head which lasts for about five minutes. Settles to a small rim with surprising lacing. I detected no vanilla on the nose. I did however detect one unusual smell that reminds me of either pickled beans or barrel fermented sauerkraut. (I am truly a country boy) Taste is a little to flat with to much carbonation which comes across slightly metallic. A touch sour. Overall a drinkable beer. It does not make me crave another which is one of my personal standards.
This could have been a bad can and I will try another one to be sure. If the next one tastes better I will do a review do over.

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Appearance: Pours with a brilliantly clear iced tea hue and capped by an inch of ecru foam; splashy lacing but modest retention

Smell: Toasted malt and nuts, with hints of toffee and tea

Taste: Toast and a hint of toffee, with an earthy, nut character; nutskin sourness, after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: The best thing about this beer was the color - don't think I have ever paid such a compliment to a beer before; supposedly, this beer was aged on vanilla beans but I didn't pick up any of that flavor

Thanks, SPLITGRIN, for the opportunity

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shotgun Wedding from Country Boy Brewing