Secessionist #1 (Gingerbread Stout) | Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co

good
Secessionist #1 (Gingerbread Stout)Secessionist #1 (Gingerbread Stout)

Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co
Texas, United States
buffbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by champ103 on 02-20-2012

Reviews: 24 | Ratings: 154
Reviews by FUNKPhD:

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Like some of these other reviews, there is A LOT of ginger. Also it was too thin on the body. If there was less ginger incorporated into a bigger bodied stout, this thing would be next to perfect.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

4.07/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Large shared bottle pours nearly black with a small, bubbly head.

The aroma is a nice approximation of actual gingerbread, hinting that the flavor may be over spiced.

Flavor: quite spicy but not overly spiced, creating a nice, lingering gingerbread aftertaste. Higher similarity to actual gingerbread than any other gingerbread beer in my experience.

Full bodied with somewhat lively carbonation.

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

for #TBS27 "Christmas in July". I'm generally not a huge fan of spiced/christmas beers, but I've been holding on to this one for a little less than a yr, so why not. Poured from bottle into HF signature glass. Pours a nearly pitch black color- decent thickness. Tan/Brown head gives an initial 2-3 fingers of head and then disperses pretty quickly. It remains only around the edges of the glass after the pour. I'm wondering if this was bottle conditioned, but betting it was not based on the appearance and the head. Smell- gingerbread. I wish I had a better way to describe it, but that's exactly what I get on the aroma. That, and maybe some chocolate (milk choc). The spices aren't too in your face (they might have been when this was fresh, I don't know- never had it fresh), but some all-spice, cinnamon, maybe nutmeg is there. Taste- a milky chocolate start- very light mouthfeel now that it's on my tongue. Some of the spices bounce off my tongue- I do get all-spice and cinnamon. Not a lot of sweetness- kind of surprises me for the abv. I actually might have enjoyed a little more to balance out the nearly distracting spice presence (but once again, not a spiced beer guy). Carbonation helps finish this a little dry- I get no real roasty malt qualities that I might have also enjoyed. For what it is, this is a decent spiced stout, but it's a one-off for me.

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stouts are normally to strong for me but this one is good. It isn't to bitter; it didn't have to much going on; and (mainly) it tasted good. You can definitely tell why it is call gingerbread stout; it smells and has the back taste of a gingerbread cookie.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

pours black, spicy scent, nice umber head, very tasty, lotta flavor.. substantial mouthfeel and body, lots of spice, cinnamon, ginger, and slight chocolate. The bottle I'm enjoying is from the batch released July 2013. I had this on tap last year and it seemed even better. If you've had St Arnold Pumkinator or Sam Adams Merry Mischief, you know what you're getting into, almost interchangable, but if pressed I'd pick this over Mischief, the ginger isn't as piercing. Maybe even a bit tastier than Pumkinator (especially on tap), but at the steep 14+ bomber price, I'll go wif Ahnold. can't wait to see what happens when they start barrel aging this stuff (you know they will)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

2.2/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Abysmal stuff, really. Mixes a sort of spiced egg nog on the nose w/ grape cough syrup. Body is far too fizzy, no creaminess, no real texture. And, to top it all off, the palate has an almost sour note, little trace of the roasty base one would hope for in a stout, and a gingerbread character that, if you didn't tell me it was gingerbread, I'd struggle to identify. Have not been impressed by the couple of brews I've had from these guys. Fool me once...

4.16/5  rDev +14.3%