Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Buffalo Sunset | Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co

Reviews by kjkinsey:

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this a couple of months back and it was fantastic. The balance of hops and coffee was impeccable. It was dark in color, but the mouth feel was not dense. I am not a huge fan of dark IPAs but I enjoyed this because it was not too malty. I think the darkness came from the coffee rather than a lot of malt. The hops were fresh and punched me in my face. If you do not like coffee, then do not try this.

This was unique and I still crave it (although the Stone coffee IPA gave me my fix more recently). I hope these guys do this one again.

I’ll have another.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

1.66/5  rDev -57%

Had this on tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston.

This is supposed to be a black IPA with coffee. If there's an IPA in there somewhere, I couldn't find it behind the overpowering taste of coffee grinds. If you love coffee, and especially coffee grinds, then this beer will be for you. If not, stay clear.

I like a good coffee porter or stout. Don't get me wrong. This doesn't taste like that at all. There's no coffee or chocolate notes. It's just massively overpowering coffee grinds.

This was a huge disappointment for me.

Your mileage may vary.

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Siphon Coffee (Houston, TX), served in a small Pilsener glass. Deep cola brown with a fizzy head tan foam and streaky lace. Burnt, roasted grain aroma with faint pine sap notes. Deeply roasted malt flavor with bitter chicory coffee flavors, earthy hops and slight citrus peel. Just enough malt sweetness (sugar in the coffee). Medium body and moderate carbonation. Unclear whether it's a hoppy coffee porter or black DIPA, but it's not half bad, especially while at a coffee shop.

4.87/5  rDev +26.2%

This one is really different.. from the description it seems to be a double black IPA.. with coffee...

All I know is it doesn't really taste much like a double IPA to me.. but it is fantastic... this instantly became one of my favorite beers... it is almost black in color.. all sorts of great coffee smells.... just delicious.

I marked it as a double IPA.. but if that needs to change.. someone go for it... on another site it is listed as a black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale...

All I know is it is really good.. and I hope I heard right.. it seems it is going to go year round..

2.64/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

On tap at Hay Merchant

A: Pours a dark black, with light ruby around the edges. A two finger beige head forms, and recedes after a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: At first whiff, I had to take a step back. Bitter, acrid, burnt coffee is so over powering. Nothing else for balance at all. It is like bad day old coffee. Which makes the nose pretty unpleasant.
T: The taste is no different, maybe not as intense. Though still just unpleasant bitter, burnt, and acrid day old coffee. Is this suppose to be an IPA, or a crappy coffee porter? Either way, not good.
M/D: A medium body and thin carbonation. Thin and watery. Just all around week IMO. Not easy or enjoyable to drink in any way shape or form.

First off, what the hell is the point of calling this any kind of IPA? This is a coffee porter, no matter which way you slice it. Second, even as a coffee porter this is really sub par. Just to bitter, acrid, and burnt. Not good.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottled Sept. 2013 (I guess Spec's in downtown Houston has a hoard of them)

A - Pours a black body with a lingering dark khaki head. Great retention and lacing.

S - Malty, hoppy, coffee and a bit of semi-sweet chocolate. The coffee is definitely dominate and I'm not complaining.

T - Coffee forward with dark malts. The piney hops are there, but not really in your face. I guess the coffee leads to a more stout profile with the roasted malts than a black IPA profile.

M - Light bodied and medium carbonation. It has a wet finish.

O - You go to Buffalo Bayou's website and it doesn't list a style. I was curious of what I was drinking and now I know it's a black IPA with coffee. I didn't know it was a year old when I picked it up, but I'm glad I got it. Even at over a year old the coffee is very abundant and melds so well with the dark malts and subdued hop profile.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast