Cuvee-Brut | Brouwerij Liefmans

Cuvee-BrutCuvee-Brut

Brouwerij Liefmans
liefmans.be

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Goudenband & Oud Bruin blended with cherries. Not a lambic.

Added by IronDjinn on 02-15-2010

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This was an amazing ale to grab! I saw it and thought to myself, "an aged cherry ale? That could be interesting!" Once I got back with it, I put it in the fridge and let it sit and waited to open it until my birthday celebration with a few friends a couple of weeks later. As soon as I pulled off the wrapping, I felt like I made a great choice. The bottle is very clean - it looks professional and minimalist. It has everything it needs, and nothing more.

Once I pulled the cork the aroma burst into the air and the smell was fantastic! It, of course, smelled like cherries, but it was subtle enough to allow the rest of the ingredients come out. I just could not stop smelling it at first.

The taste is just as good, too! It is not overly tart like most other cherry brews, and it's soft and smooth as well. It tingles a little, and the aftertaste is superb. It doesn't linger, but the first breathe after each drink is very refreshing.

As soon as this hits your lips, it immediately begins to relax you and carry you away. As I said before, it is smooth, and it cradles your lips and tongue. After you drink a fair amount (most of the bottle), the tart flavor becomes a little stronger and you can begin to "feel" it on your teeth. So, please, do have something nearby to refresh your mouth (water or even an apple).

Overall, I am very happy I grabbed this bottle on a whim. It's very good, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I would recommend it to anyone who has any interest in fruit flavored brews of any sort!

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Adbsolutely incredibe. So sweet like cherry juice.

4.64/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%

The cork in my bottle says 2010 on it, although I have only purchased recently from the store's cooler.

A. A dark murky purplish red. Bruise-colored. Very foamy and flamingo pink head threatened to spill everywhere, easily four fingers in height with only a gentle pour into stemware. Holy head out of control, batman!

S. Now this is odd. I find that the nose of this brew transforms quite radically depending upon if the glass has been swirled or is steady. When sitting still, the scent of sour tart cherries and faint vinous notes dominate. When swirled, the scent instantly mutates into sweet maraschino cherries mixed with a fresh lemonade. And ten seconds later, it has returned to the original lactic kriek sour scent. Bizarre, yet enjoyable. I can't resist playing around with this magical transformation the entire time I sip my way through the bottle.

T. Sweet and sour cherry cobbler. Absolutely delicious. I will say, however, that a 750ml bottle needs to be shared with friends or you will eventually start to find the cumulative sweetness build up in your mouth cloying. Without question this was meant to be a dessert. In the background there is an occasional glimpse of a Saison-like grassy funk which is the factor tying the sweet and sour together so that it is not quite so polarizing. This is partially made from Old Ale after all, it seems. My nitpick is that I would have preferred a wee bit more sourness, but that's just my personal bias talking. For somebody normal who doesn't like sucking on lemons like I do, its probably really well balanced.

M. Very tingly on the tongue and the finish just keeps going and going with no sign of stopping. However, that is a double-edged sword, if you want to taste something else without interference for a while, you are up a creek without a paddle. If you are content to taste sour cherries and nothing but, you're golden.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Brilliant deep cherry red with a 2” pink tinted moussey white foam cap with exceptionally fine bubbles.
S: Big cherry aromas with bread and a slight funk aroma off over ripe fruit.
T: Starts like a medium dark cherry bread then the tart comes forward with a moderate bitterness in the background.
F: Very soft in the mouth, medium to medium light body, medium carbonation.
O: Very refreshing with an amazing balance between cherry tartness, hop bitterness and rich malts.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

A- Beer has a dark, reddish mahogany color, and the beer is translucent. There is minimal foam and lacing.

S- Sweet, fresh, earthly cherries, that gives it some characteristics of wine. I can also get some wood, maybe oak.

T- Taste like a cherry tart, so its sweet and sour at the same time. It almost tastes like there are mixed berries in here, like raspberries and black cherries.

M- Moderate body and high in carbonation. Didn't even have to touch the cork, just loosened the cage and it exploded.

O- Wow, I really enjoy sour beers, it's just another side to beer that needs to be exposed. I feel like it could of used some more booze, and it would be perfect. Still world class in my book. Extremely balanced.

4.51/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Nose is astringent and sour, with loads of sour black cherries.

The taste is amazing. Sweet cherry pie, crust and all, richness from the oak.

Chewy finish that has a feel of a heavily barrel aged Bruery beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance - This is a gorgeous beer. The red color has the slightest tint of bright brown and the head is reddish and fluffy.

Smell - The cherries are so soft it's amazing. The tart aroma is like green apple but it's not strong or overpowering and somehow harmonizes perfectly with the cherries. The malt base has a nice sugary sweetness to it without coming off as artificial.

Taste - The afore-mentioned aromas come out nicely at the taste and again work incredibly well together. You get the wonderful cherry flavor, very natural, a balancing light tartness, and a wonderful malt structure.

Mouthfeel - This is a solid medium-bodied with excellent carbonation.

Drinkability - Lambics can get long after 25 ounces but this one just kept calling out my name. It goes down so well and is so efficiently balanced that you could really session this ale. It showed the smoothness of their Goudenband with the distinctive flavors of the kriek. Incredibly well executed.

Cuvee-Brut from Brouwerij Liefmans