Goudenband | Brouwerij Liefmans

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by Mitchster on 02-24-2001

Ratings: 1,377 |  Reviews: 570
3.27/5  rDev -21.6%

750ml bottle poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a clear brown with a small white head. Nose is fairly tart and malty.

Taste us quite well balanced for an oude bruin, it's tart and sour but it's not like vinegar which makes it quite drinkable. That being said it's somewhat bland for the style, it like it's afraid to commit.

3.29/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into tulip. 2010 cork date.

A: Pours a deep mahogany with a finger of light tan head that fizzed away into a thin collar.
S: Deep and musty notes of buttery oak, thick caramel, brown sugar, leather, musty stone fruits, semi-sweet dark fruits, lightly tart berries, black cherry juice, and a hint of vanilla.
T: Malty flavors of base brown ale dominate, but greasy buttery oak barrel adds some balancing dryness and complexity to the flavors. Lightly tart hints of cherries, cherry pits, woody barrel, brown sugar, cocoa, and caramel are easily picked out, with leather and gritty tannins bringing up the finish. Tastes a bit muted and tired.
M: Very very low carbonation, almost flat, with a full greasy body, and drying finish. This beer is oily and heavy and definitely needs some more carbonation to lighten it up a bit.
O: Unfortunately not as good as I was expecting. Oak barrel comes through really well though, but I couldn't get past the greasy, heavy mouthfeel. Decent flavors, but not my favorite.

3.31/5  rDev -20.6%

I got this a long while back from Onecrazybreeze... Brianne is awesome!! 2005 bottle cracked over the weekend and shared with the Boise peeps. Reviewed from paper notes.

Orange brew... with a descent head.

Nose has hints of Oud Bruin, but seems dominated by an apple element.

Flavor is again pretty much all apple with some grape and background cherry and maybe some oxidation.. vinous, but no where near as acidic as I was expecting or hoping for.

Body seems a bit thin, but the carbonation is pretty high.

Overall, a bit one dimensional.... but damn glad I got to try it... huge thanks again for the favors Brianne!!

4/3/3.5/3.5/3

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%

I have been hunting this one down for a while now, and finally was able to acquire one in a trade recently. I put it immediately into the fridge and took it out last night to sit with and enjoy for a little while. A very nice looking 375ml bottle, wrapped up in paper greeted me, and I proceeded to decant it into an over sized wine glass for some proper enjoyment.

Appearance - The pour was decent; a rich red tinted brown liquid was presented in front of me. Some floaties were present, but not too much at all. A smallish, maybe one inch high head of off white colored foam then rose up off of it and settled down rather quickly leaving behind only the slightest bit of a crown on top, and some small side glass contribution. It looked good, but I am not blown away to be honest.

Smell - The aroma was thick, and sweet, almost like a syrup. Lots of very dark fruit flavors, currants, and dark cherries, were easily found in here. Some touches of fig were to be found as well, not picking up any of the sour notes though that others have mentioned, and I am a big fan of sours, and this was no sour. I am starting to think I have a bad batch here or something to be honest. As it warms it gets a little more earthy, but is still very, very sweet overall.

Taste - The flavor was more of the same, and I picked up no sour in here, in the beginning, middle, or end of it. There was just none to be found. It was sickingly sweet to me, with an off, musty malt profile that just did not fit at all. Lots of bready like flavors, just odd to me. Hints of dark cherries, figs, prune maybe, nothing spicy, just very sweet, too much so. No hint of alcohol in this, but for me, it was not the most enjoyable experience I have had.

Mouthfeel - Fell flat again here, literally with nowhere near enough carbonation, the profile was just too slim to be able to hold up such a thick syrup like feel. I just don t know what else to say, came off like cough syrup, but too candy like sweet.

Drinkability - I again am under impressed here. The alcohol was well hidden, which made it nice, however it was too dull, and the flavors were just off. I am not sure what this was supposed to be, but I am starting to think the one I have was not the way it was meant to be,. It was ok, but nothing spectacular, and I could not see myself drinking this all night.

Overall not sure what happened here, but this was definitely not my idea of exemplary by any means. It was too sweet, unbalanced, and under carbonated. I have had much, much better in the style. I am hoping my bottle was just off, I have another to compare later on so we shall see.

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

Cork says 2010. Into a tulip.

Brown in color, surprisingly big head. A lot of lacing once I pour the second half of the bottle in. Really nice looking for a Flanders beer.

Smell is earthy notes with decent sourness present.

Taste is very earthy, malty and funky for the style. Dark fruits, a balsamic character and a lot of musty funk character. Once this is at room temperature, some legit sourness is noticeable in the flavor, but it's not much. Beer leaves earthy and musty flavors on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is thick for the style and makes it lack any sort of sour bite.

I wasn't a fan of the flavor here, really. Too much mustiness and malt. Maybe this bottle was a bit bad for some reason, but the only time I picked up on the qualities I like in a Flanders beer was once this was at room temperature. Probably not something I'd revisit.

3.42/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appears a hazy murky brown with a tan thin head sitting on top with virtually no lace in my official Liefman's goblet. Aroma has some rich carmalized brown sugar smothered by a wine like finish buried in layers of alchol and ripened fruit tones. Taste is primarily a heavy rush of sourness from this flemish brown with a vinous wine like tone to it and somewhat dry finish, and I must say this one is a palate killer just not much you can follow with it. Mouthfeel is low in carbonation with a light bodied mouthfeel rather thin, much fuller on tap in my opinion. Drinkability is one at a time due to the fact that this sour Flemish brown is just so overbearingly sour much more balanced and smoother in the bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into a Tulip glass at 42F, still was a nice cloudy brown, with a really lacy 1/2 inch head. lasted about 5 minutes and still had some lacing left. cork date was 2010

The nose was sweet, semi malty, quite a bit of yeast also. Detected Sour fruit (apples,cherries). No alcohol detected.

wow for a OLD bruin its more like a kriek, I like sours but I feel this one is not really to style, maybe its need more age? sour fruit makes you pucker and overdoes about everything else. Its not a bad taste but it lacks sweetness of the malt to balance it out, no hops of course detected. I had allot of OB and this 1 almost sucks. there is some sugar there, and the yeast but its more of lambic (fruit) than a true OB. Can you tell I did not love it yet? The sour cheery and some vanilla but the vanilla is very faint and overpowered, did i say it was overpowered...

lots of carbonation, medium body.

Its a good beer but I feel it does NOT represent the style. I drank the whole 750ml but would never buy it again. This beer I been told varies allot from year to year.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Best before end of 2014. Poors in with yellow head and darkbrown beer without any particles and a red shine in it. Nose is sweet malty and hardly any sourness to be noticed. Clean and nothing spontainous in it. Taste is sweetsour and malty ending more sour and only giving you litle bitterness. The lack of taste except the sweetsour doesn't make it really enjoyable but drinkable.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Dark ruby maroon color with a small light tan head that settles quickly to an edge head and slight lacing.
S: Aroma of dark cherries, vanilla and oak.
T: Flavor starts with cream caramel, then progresses to sour. Not well balanced.
M: Average body.
D: Decent enough, I suppose, but not very interesting.

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

A: dark cola, decent head, average lacing.

S: Sweet candies, lemon, sherbet, astringency. Sweet vinegar. Actual cola.

T: Similar to the nose. Sweet syrupy cherry syrup, what all Flanders Reds/Oud Bruins smell like. Well balanced though. Not too vinegary, unlike other Flanders Reds like Rodenbach. I'm just not enamoured with the style.

M: Really thick, well carbonated and good. 4

O: What can I say? Fine for the style, but I'm not a fan. Perfectly drinkable, but who really wants to session vinegar anyway? 3

3.46/5  rDev -17%

Finally was able to pick up a bottle of this. This is from the newest batch, 2010.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a thin ring around the the glass.

S: Starts off with a touch of vinegar and metal. There's a bit of a banana note as well as a touch of dark fruit (plums). Some alcohol and oak, too.

T: The flavor is a bit better. A slight tartness without the same metallic character. There's a slightly drying, tannic character on the finish. A moderate sweetness to it with dark caramel malts and dark fruits.

M: The body is medium with a nice full level of carbonation.

D: Not quite as much tartness as I prefer for this style, but I suppose it's still accurate. The metallic character wasn't really doing much for me, either. Might try aging my other bottle to see how it improves.

3.46/5  rDev -17%

A- Pours is a dark amber color with a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a thin ring around the the glass.

S- Starts off with a touch of vinegar and metal. A bit of a banana too and a touch of darker fruits. Hint of wood and maybe some alcohol.

T- Taste is slightly tart. A bit of a metallic taste. Some sweetness here from the darker fruits and a bit of caramel malts.

M- Medium in body and carabonation was good.

O- A new style for me and not quite sure what to expect. I think I'd struggle with finishing a bottle myself, but I could handle a small sized sample.

Tasting with AgentZero.

750ml bottle into my Rochefort glass, 2006 version.

The beer pours dark brown with not much fan fare as there is very little carbonation. Tons of yeast floaties...The aroma is really light, gives off some light vinegar, light tartness but that's about it...The taste is much different, not much tart, a lot of sweetness, figs, caramel. On the finish is some light funk, but not enough.

I've been waiting for this for a while and sadly I'm disappointed. Its to sweet not enough to tartness, bad feel.

3.47/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cork says this is a 1999 vintage. The pour tells the same story. A strong pour yeilds no head at all. Body is a murky shade of deep brown. Nose has a solid fruit base with tones of rubarb, sour cherries, rasberries and orange peel. Sharply sour as it hits the tongue and imediatly wakes up the buds. It does mellow quickly and lead to variety of flavors including sour cherries, over ripe mellon, oak, ashey malt and silky molases. Although sour mouthfeel is dominate, it is not overpowering. Mellows as it warms. This is about as drinkable as I would consider a beer this sour could be.

3.49/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2002...

Appearance: reddish brown (almost chestnut), a bit hazy, thinnish layer of tan head that slowly compacts to a thin cap

Aroma: lactic and corky/musty, a hint of wood, vinous, a dash of soy sauce and nail-polish

Flavor: mild malt base with an initial tanginess and an overlying corkiness, the tan increases towards the end of the palette, finish is semi-dry with caramel malt and vinegar in the aftertaste, also a bit of wood-tannin bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation, some warmth

Overall Impression: Finally tried this old classic. Definitely a fan of their kriekenbier (both the sweetened and the natural one), so it was nice to taste the base beer. Swirling up and adding the bottle-sediment really kicks up the complexity. Since Rodenbach has "gone commercial", this may be it's rustic replacement.

Goudenband from Brouwerij Liefmans