Goudenband | Brouwerij Liefmans

liefmans.be

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by Mitchster on 02-24-2001

Ratings: 1,382 |  Reviews: 571

Started drinking this a few years ago in Leeds at North Bar, one of their three Liefmans brews available. Very enjoyable all round, in moderation. Find it a bit intense after a while, intoxicating - true to form for bottle conditioned beer. A legend in my eyes. Reminds me of a Kriek I once drank at the Legendary Yorkshire Heroes(Archers) in Newcastle in early 1990's - very like Black Cherries.

Ah, one of my favorite beers of all time (if not my favorite beer of all time). This one pours out to a beautiful, lightly cloudy chestnut color with auburn highlights. There is no yeast particles, and there is no yeast in the bottom of the bottle (corked, wrapped in tissue paper, plain green bottle) The head is gorgeous...light tan, creamy in appearance with immaculate retention and some of the best lacing I've ever seen. The head sits atop small to medium-sized bubbles and seems to last forever. The aroma? Oh bliss, bliss and heaven. Gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh...sweet and sour, rotting cherries and oranges, natural apple cider gone bad, deep amber malts, a distant hint of clove, dirty socks, and a faint whiff of alcohol. This gets the parotids kicking into gear. Carbonation is mild, especially when compared to most other Belgian Ales. Mouthfeel is very mild, smooth, creamy, slightly cloying...the body is suprisingly moderately light. Taste begins with some musty puckering sourness, brown sugar, firm amber malts, and a brief note of alcohol. There is a metallic note, which is something I hadn't noted on my last tasting which was all of 10 years ago (Goudenband is hard to find in Michigan..I brought this bottle back home with me from Amsterdam for 2 Euro). The finish is sustained, earthy and (despite it's sourness) is only slightly dry with notes of dates, rotting fruits, and sweet dark molasses cookies. As it warms, this beauty breathes and the flavors evolve, making it exceptionally drinkable. One bottle leaves me with a warm pleasant buzz, but this is something I could drink all night...and all day, and all next week. Ahhh...Goudenband. Truly an exceptional beer, an absolute joy and a must to behold. I am left stunned with a shit-eating grin on my face...seek it out.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Corked and caged bottle dated 2017- I couldn't wait that long.

I've tried this beer a couple of times because I like it so much, but I'll catalogue my response this time.

I'm drinking it out of a celebrator glass because it's like a wide, stout flute or short pilsner glass.

Appearance is coke-bottle brown, maybe a little lighter. Reddish tints throughout. Lacing is really great- forming a crown sticking to the glass.

Smell is sticky, a little sweet, with tart notes and brown sugar coming through.

Taste is initially soft (including mouthfeel) rounding out to tart raspberry, rhubarb, and sweet tart candy. Mouthfeel follows with extra but not overwhelming carbonation. Superb thirst quencher. Finishes with the slightest iodine, but in a good way.

An amazing brew, one of the best, I hope the Liefmans facility stays afloat.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Cloudy brown. The smell recalls the delicious horror of the Cuvee Rene 1998 that so recently rearranged my face. It promises sour, vengeful fruit and earth and yet it is balanced by a generous, sweet mocha-cream nuance that seems inviting. Terrible, thunderous, giant cherry flavors push flavors of bacon, nuts, spice and pan drippings on the palate. The finish is long and tart. A froth in the shape of a Yin Yang settles on the surface. Serve with bacon-stuffed eel, nettle-stuffed pigeon or onion pie.
___

That was my first taste. I've been drinking this beer like water over the last month, and I felt it was time to elaborate on its performance. My rating scores do not change.
Possibly perfect beer. While there is definitely some bottle variation (some flatter, some creamier, some spicier, some more alcoholic) it is always a pleasure. I've tasted cinnamon and horse blanket. I've tasted apples and botrytis Riesling. It is always fascinating and pure. Drinking it at the Maple Creek Farm harvest pot luck, under the giant fruit tree with friends, cooks and eaters... it was easy to approve of. If Cuvee Rene is a perfect food beer, this is perfect specifically with furious autumn montages of ripe vegetable parcels. Low maintenance, it doesn't need but the barest chill, and that just to get it started. Believe me, I've drunk Goudenband eagerly at 90 degrees F.
Amazement followed by recognition. I've seen it on many faces first tasting this product.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

For years, I've had a sadistic obsession with consuming things that pucker my face up into a big dimple. This is one of the great beers that really accomplishes this with a bang. I really believe sour beers like this one are a great balance of flavors -- sweet and sour rather than sweet and bitter. I welcome this change from the "norm," and I relish in its complex and powerful flavor.

A deep, cloudy, chocolate brown color with a white, thin, big bubbly head -- soapy waste water. A great deal of chunky sediment floats around for a bit and settles on the bottom of the glass. It looks a bit like you're drinking sewage, but it gives it such a natural appearance.

The acetic acid of over-ripened sour apples mixes with hints of plum, alcohol, and sour citrus peel in the nose. Starts sweet with an almost cherry-like flavor up front which quickly dissipates as the beer is swallowed, leaving an almost-unfortunate acid reflux sensation at the back of your throat with a wonderful tartness on the tongue. Mild hints of cobwebs and earth throughout. Lively at first, this beer feels a little less carbonated at the end, but it hardly takes away from the quality of the beer. And perhaps one of the most impressive things about this beer is its amazing drinkability; this does not taste like an 8% abv beer. Perhaps masked by the tartness, this beer is exceptionally easy to consume. It's almost perverse to enjoy a beer this RAW, but I absolutely love it.

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

The bottle I had was wrapped in paper and corked, with the cork dated 1998. The beer poured a beautiful dark red/brown with a thin white head. Try as I might, some large flecks of yeast managed to find their way into my glass, so I had to deduct half a point from appearance. The nose is full of sour cherry smell and maybe some cooked plums. Taste is more of the same, with a light cartbonation lifting the sour flavor off you tongue and revealing a slight maltiness. A very dry finish, leaving you wanting more. Now that I can't find Rodenbach, this is probably my favorite beer. A world classic.

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

4.94/5  rDev +18.5%

2001. Poured lazily into a Holiday Inn cocktail tumbler.

A stroll through the late-Autumn orchard. Curled browns and ambers clutch the crooked limbs of fruit trees refusing fate for awhile. Tired soil is covered with the sweet scents of packed dead wet leaves and rotting fruits. The earth greets your every sense with primeval longing you don't quite understand.

I crave this type of visceral experience everytime I carry my lips to a glass filled with fermented liquid. Only few can bring it, and even fewer with the symmetry of Goudenband.

Bark and sour orange and nut bread wash across your buds and down and the heady vapors left behind affirm your instinct time and again. I feel I should list everything I'm feeling as I drink this but that might cheapen it. If your ever going to shell out five bones for a little bottle of beer, make it this one.

There should be a tree on the label.

4.93/5  rDev +18.2%

4.92/5  rDev +18%

Corked and caged in 1987; laid to rest on its side for ~18 years. Sediment on the side of the bottle, like a fine wine.

A: It poured like a red wine, with mild carbonation.

S: Also similar to red wine, with a sharp, tart odour.

T: Wow! I expected more tartness, but there wasn't anymore than a Beaujolais. The flavours of grape juice, cherries, cranberries and oak are more reminiscent of a fine wine than any beer!

M: Light to moderate body, mild carbonation.

D: It's like fruit juice! It goes down easier than almost any wine or beer!

Thanks for the tasting Len!

4.92/5  rDev +18%

A - Lovely green, unmarked champagne bottle, corked and caged, with purple wrapping displaying the Liefman's name. A large beige head sustains. Looks dark brown until being held up to light where a deep, cherry red is revealed.

S - Dark candied sugar, farmhouse funk, and sour components prevail. Some white grape, bark, and a little coffee aroma as well. Damn nice!

T - A delicate acidity and sourness combines wonderfully with the earthy and dark fruit undertones of this delicious beer. A pie crust-like quality makes an appearance as well. A truly fantastic and satisfying beer.

M/D - Dry and effervescent mouthfeel adds to the experience. Just take a small sip (or a big one!), sit back, and reflect on the good in life... Excellent!

4.92/5  rDev +18%

375 mL green bottle, wrapped in paper. 2 years until best before date.

Clear mahogany bown brew that shines red when held to the light. Thick and rocky tan head clings to the glass.

Aroma is full of spices, cloves and cinnamon come to mind. Some cider vinegar and fruit notes as well.

This is a complex brew. Tart cherries blend with cloves and nutmeg. Sugary malt notes come in as well. I'm getting sour green apple and some faint medicinal phenols near the finish. Alcohol has a subtle warming effect and some woody tannins give the beer a slight astringency. Hops are nowhere to be found, but are definitely not missed. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, with moderate carbonation

Sweet and sour balance perfectly in this beer and it has exceptional character. Goudenband tastes like a wild, traditional, farmhouse ale without the excessive barnyard flavours that many other sour beers I have tried have. It doesn't get much better than this.

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The nose is somewhat fruity and very sweet. Figs, golden raisins, dark cherries and a giant mound of brown sugar. The taste is much more tart but equally simple yet complex and full. Sour cherries, dates, grape juice, plum, molasses and some green apples. Tart, full, bubbly, sweet, fulfilling and delicious. And only $11.

Goudenband from Brouwerij Liefmans