Goudenband | Brouwerij Liefmans

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by Mitchster on 02-24-2001

Reviews: 568 | Ratings: 1,356
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The cork marks this as the 2011 Vintage.

A - Doppelbock brown mixes with the deepest of deep dark cherry. Fluffy cinnamon-latte foam.

S - Acetic acid, lemon juice. Black forest cherries. You can smell the musty, wet oak barrels. Really strong aromas. Very nice.

T - It tastes old as its name suggests. Almost stale. Sweet raspberry meets the tip of tongue giving way to must cherries and then an intense and somewhat distasteful bitter red wine quality. It may be the 8% abv showing through but it's not good. After the nose I expected a rich fruity body, an expectation on which this does not deliver.

M - Falls flat regarding the carbonation. Again it tastes old, and perhaps slightly past its prime, despite the drink before date of 2021.

O - The combination of sour nose, tart first sip and bitter finish does not work for me. I was all set to love this beer, but I'm not particularly enjoying it. It goes down easier with small sips. Judging by some other views I wonder if this was a bad bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into tulip.

Appearance: Rich brown in color. Pours one finger of white head that quickly fades. No lacing.

Smell: Cherries, dark fruit, slight funk, sweet, hint of vanilla.

Taste: Dark fruit, cherries, vanilla, subtle oak.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, minimal carbonation, smooth. Lots of residual sugars.

Overall: A good cour. Too much residual sweetness for my tastes, but good complexity. Would probably benefit from additional bottle aging.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at the LCBO 750ml bottle for just under $9.00. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well pours with little head. Settles to a film and stays. Dark brown and cloudy.

S- Cherry and malt.

T- Sour cherry. Not quite ready yet. Needs time to blend. Raspberries will come through later when this thing calms down. Think that that will be a while though.

M- Tart and dry. Rather carbonated which is good for aging. Looking forward to having this one on a few years.

O- Pretty good. Way too young to drink. Will save the others for a few years down the line

Food Pairing

This way too young fruit beer goes well with... Spicy chicken with green vegetables. Keeping it open for you to substitute in what you like as this beer will work well with many combinations.

3.73/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2015 blend. Pours a deep opaque brown with a smallish head and just spotty lacing. Nose is underwhelming. A bit musty, a little twang,mand pretty dull. Flavor is mildly sour, a little bright acidity. No funk or vinuos qualities really. Nothing wrong with this beer, but not much going on even as it warms to room temp.

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%

Wrapped in a blue tissue paper. Cork says 2010.

Dark opaque brown body with a small cream head. Nice highlights.

Aroma is slightly sour, lactic acid, and reminds me of sour fruits.

Flavor is somewhat mild. Slightly sweet first then a moderate sourness that lingers for a while afterwards. More dry than overly malty. Tartness similar to cherry.

Body is a little thin. No alcohol presence.

Goudenband reminds me of a milder La Folie. Overall a good beer but difficult to describe. I wonder if cellaring this beer would bring out more defined characteristics.

3.71/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: Dark brown color. Moderate beige head head that subsided fairly quickly.

Smell: Mild Belgian funk with mild fruity aromas.

Taste: Mild citrus notes with some slight brown sugar sweetness. Some tartness with just a hint of sour.

Mouth-feel: Fairly thin body body with a fairly high level of carbonation.

Overall: Good taste but not overly complex compared to the upper echelon. Very good value at it's price point.

3.71/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle into a pint glass. 2010 vintage.

A: Pours a murky dark brown color. There's about one finger of off-white colored head; it's nicely thick, but retains poorly. No lacing is left behind, as expected.

S: The tartness is what I notice first - but the fruitiness is what hooks me. A quick hit of (pleasant) vinegar quickly turns into a melange of cherry, plum, and figgy notes. Sugary, too. As someone who's preference is sourness to the exclusion of everything else, I can safely say this balance is pretty intoxicating.

T: Some moderate tartness hits first, and even that has a sweetish bend. It quickly fades in the midtaste, and the finish is pretty much all fruit sweetness. I'm picking up cherries, raisins, and even a touch of chocolate on the aforementioned finish. Having said that, I'm still let down by its lack of tartness - especially considering it's three years old, more or less. You'd think the age of this would make it a little more complex. Actually, the only thing that really lets me down is the sugary character doesn't seem entirely natural to me. Double actually, it tastes like aspartame. Triple actually, it's ridiculously cloying. Still a good brew, just one that could stand to be a bit less cloying (just a bit, though!)

M: The finishing tannins can't get in the way of all the fruity sweetness that finish this brew. It doesn't have the moronic drinkability of Rodenbach Grand Cru, but to be fair, what does? Carbonation starts off strongly but quickly restrains itself.

O: My personal preference dictates I'd like a little more sourness and a little less sweetness - and a lot less aspartame. That's exactly what's keeping this very good offering from being an excellent one. Put it like this: due to the cloying nature, I'm questioning whether or not I should pawn the rest of the 750 off to someone else. Keep in mind I could drink a couple 750s of Rodenbach Grand Cru and still wish for more.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. botte, wrapped in tissue. Cork dated 2001. Poured into a freshly rinsed wide mouth goblet. Poured with a thin off white head with large bubbles. Color is a deep dark purple. Shows translucent red when held to the light. Head quickly dissipated leaving some sparse lace, this too vanished. There is quite a bit of sediment in the bottle. I made no effort to aviod pouring it into the glass. Fruity smell with hints of sour cherries. Thin feeling as you sip but flavor explodes in your mouth, first slight sweetness then a powerful sharp sourness with a long dry/sour astringent finish. The sweetness faded and the dryness became stronger as the brew warmed.

A very complex brew. I will try it again.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice chesnut colour with a thin short head. Looks spritzy with lots of carbonation.

Nose is spicy and tart, distinct cider-like character.

Taste is tart up front as well, also very cider-like, but with lots of other spice, fruit and wood happening. An interesting mix of falvours means you have to take your time with it to work it out. Perhaps a little too tart but that mellows out as it warms up.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

I haven't had this style before, so I've got nothing to base it on, but it's a nice looking beer. Dark, rich brown with some floaties wandering around in the dense liquid. The head is a finger thick, slightly off-white and dissipates quickly leaving just a white ring up top.

Malt forward scent, with a combination of vinegar and Granny Smith lurking. Has a bit of a saison funky yeast smell to it.

Not as bad as I expected. Granny Smith apple, malt and Belgian yeast dance on the tongue. A bit of apple cider vinegar and a touch of alcohol.

Good complex feel. Very full bodied, with a heavy malt profile, but balanced by the sweet, tart fruits and yeast. No hoppy bitterness, just a dry pucker for a finish.

I expected the worst from this, but was pleasantly surprised. Sure, it's tangy and tart, but there's balance that makes it relatively drinkable overall. Good alcohol content that's mostly masked.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Haven't tried this in years. Hoping it's as good as I remember. I know Duvel Moortgat brought Liefmans back after a few years' absence. No idea whether the recipe/my palate has changed, but this seems different than I remember.

A-Pours a deep mahogany/caramel color, with 3/4 inch of khaki colored head. Leaves moderate lacing, decent retention.

S-Sweet. Bready malts,cherries, candi sugar.

T/M-On the sweet side. Not all that sour for the style. It's medium bodied and fruity, with a doughy maltiness that makes it very drinkable.

D-Either the recipe has changed or my palate has changed drastically since the last time I had this. I remember it being much more sour, with a thinner body and more vibrant carbonation. Oh well.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark clear mahogany in the glass with a long-lasting foam. A pleasant spritzy mouthful. This one is more sweet and sour, but in an appealing and nice-balanced way. wlight woody bitterness to finish. A little toffee and sweet malt, but a long, sour finish. It doesn't taste at all of alcohol.

The Belgian candy flavor is right up front. On tap at Local Habit in San Diego. The usual dry yeasty taste is there as well, but it gets lost in the tart, roasted grainy flavors. This is a very interesting beer that is more drinkable than most of the sour varieties I've tried. It also tastes just like so many forgettable beers I drank in Belgium, but with the addition of the acidic sensation. On tap at Local Habit in San Diego.

3.67/5  rDev -12%

Dark reddish-brown to brown color. There was a collection of sediment at the bottom of the bottle that floated around when poured.
Fruity and malty aromas. Raisins, plums, black cherries.
Taste is a nice balance of fruit and malt with a sour kick.
Not much carbonation and a nice medium sized off-white head.
Not much bitterness or hop aroma. More fruity and a sweet and sour type taste to it.
Overall quite drinkable.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a deep ruby red color when held up to the light. Little to no head, almost no carbonation.

Smell is of figs, dried plums, sweet fruity notes.

Taste of green apple, dried fruit, some mild vinegar. Finish is very clean faint hint of sour apple left on your tongue.

Carbonation is present but light. Alcohol doesn't have much of a bite, but it is present on your palate.

Overall a good beer, normally I don't care for oud bruin beers but this one is good. Nice change up.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

75cl bottle poured into two oversized wine glasses, 2006 vintage so says the cork.

It pours a cloudy chestnut color with a huge amount of yeast clumpies in all the pours. This beer was opened after only about two hours in the fridge after a long bumpy car ride so I will excuse the vast amount of suspended yeast in the pour. If it poured like this after several days in the fridge I would normally dock it points because the amount of yeast was really excessive. There is only a short lived cream colored head.

The nose is pretty muted and restrained for a sour brown and for my liking. There is also a lot of sugary sweetness which I am not the biggest fan of. Underneath that sweetness is a reassuring tartness with just enough acetic in the nose without being overpowering.

The taste has a lot of oaky and caramel malt favors married in a medium level of tartness. The taste finishes just too sweet for my taste and is just distracting. I understand this style should have a little more residual sweetness than Flanders reds but the amount found in the beer is over the top and distracting the from the real character of the beer. I guess the trade-off of this attribute is the approachability of this beer.

Mouthfeel was just right with a low/medium level of carbonation and a full bodiedness. Drinkability was good as well and a very refreshing beer, my only wish is less sweetness and let the sourness and woodiness of the beer shine through.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Extremely sweet (port-like) malty aromas mixed with tart fruit and a dry powderiness.

Honey, not very clear, and a mild head.

Almost port sweetness with a lighter tartness and a juicy fruitiness. The sweetness grows on me.

Medium body and carbonation.

This brew was hard to drink in the beginning but it grew on me. In small sips I can explore this alien flavor on my palate and appreciate its awkward goodness.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Dark brown with one finger of airy tan head. A little crimson eluded at the light with a quick fade. Smells a bit musty with vinegar notes, plum, grape juice, sour grapes and brown bread all mixed to near equanimity. Dry with more grape juice and a smattering of wafer-like breadiness amongst some taffy and a limited ginger spiciness. There's a faint medicinal characteristic toward the end. Medium bodied with a slight alcohol heat. Puckering, but will not foment a grimace. The aftertaste lingers, and gets to me. I can appreciate the craftsmanship of this beer, and I can certainly respect where it is coming from, but the sour ones are an acquired taste, and it appears I'm still acquiring that taste.

3.6/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle is from 2003; kind of old, but these beers can supposedly hold up for a very long time.

A- I saw lots of chunky sediment in the bottom of the 375 ml bottle, so I poured very carefully. Perhaps as a result of this there was pretty much no head on the beer. It poured a dark cola brown with hints of red when held up to the light. No head, just a ring of bubbles around the glass.

S- Fruit in the form of sweet grape or cherry, and vinegar. Not a very strong smell.

T- Very pleasant and subtle taste. The flavors are similar to the smell with a grape-like sweetness and vinegary sourness. The sourness isn't very intense, though; it's really just a pleasant tartness. Nothing extreme here, but nice nonetheless.

M- Kind of thin and lacking in carbonation.

D- Good drinkability. There's no hint of the 8% alcohol and the flavor is nice and mild. I could see myself drinking another.

Kind of strange overall. I'm afraid that age may have taken its toll on this beer, although other reviews have reported "best-by" dates of 10 years later (my bottle had no "best-by" date). It certainly wasn't bad, though. I'm just afraid it may have lost some complexities. Anyway, I'd still certainly recommend it, and maybe a more experienced palate would appreciate it more.

3.59/5  rDev -13.9%

2006 vintage, bottle at a recent brasserie V tasting

appearance: murky brown body - no head at all really, lots of suspended yeast

smell: Not much in the way of tartness - big caramel malts, fig, brown sugar, dark fruits

taste: really surprised by this one - was expecting tartness that never came (function of age, storage, qc?). Anyways, very dark-fruit driven - sweet apple, fig, prunes, plums, caramel. This just wasn't what i was expecting.

mouthfeel: relatively flat - gummy and sweet

drinkability: ok

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Liefmans Goudenband is a pretty good oud bruin and I wonder if my scores might not reflect my lack of experience with the style versus my expectations of what an oud bruin should be. I expected this beer to be more assertively tart, less sweet and with more wild character. However, I found Goudenband darker and more syrupy than I thought it would be. The oak flavor doesn't come out very much. For me this was a bit too malty and caramel-ly for me without the acidity I was expecting.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

375mL poured into my Goudenband glass. Cage says something about 2013. I'm not sure when that means this was made though.

A - Brown with a cherry hue. decent sized light tan head. A good amount of floaties in this one.

S - subtle cherry aroma with a bit of funk

T - Some cherry notes, slightly oaky, a little bit of a funky flavor, not really sour at all. Fairly sweet, maybe some belgian candi sugar.

M - medium body, fair amount of carbonation

D - Pretty easy drinking not as sour as I remember it being though. Sweeter than I would like as well. I dunno this beer is decent but not mindblowing. The price is nice on them though. If I was in the mood I'd revisit this but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured a slightly hazy brown with an okay head that quickly fades but leaves some moderate lacing. Aromas of sweet malt and a hint of sour predominate in the nose. No funkiness, just some slight acetic qualities. The taste is similar. Its quite sweet without enough sour imo to balance the sugar. Sort of an Oud Bruin with training wheels. There are caramel and dark sugar (muscavado) notes and some light sourness that deepens just a bit at the very finish. The mouthfeel is smooth and easy drinking. I really think its a bit sweet for the style.

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear, dark brown. 1/3 inch head of an off-tan color. Great retention and great lacing. Sourness, fruit, hint of hop, sweet malt, and hint of alcohol in the aroma. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of tartness, fruit, sweet malt, sourness, and a hint of hop. Overall, good appearance and blend, but I was hoping for more sour/tart notes in aroma and body.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sour balsamic vinegar dominates the aroma with hints of chinese baby corn. Ruby/brown in color with a lazy white head tha diminishes rapidly. Fore is tart and slightly vegetal and is followed by some sweeter fruit notes including cherry and slghtly caramel accented malts. Leaves a tongue tingling sourness in the finish.

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- The beer pours the liveliest head I've ever seen, a light brown effervescent mess. Comes down rather quickly in the tulip, the brew is a dark brown with purple hues. Opaque but for near the surface, where it's a murky copper color.

S- Little bit of vinegar and some red grapes. A bready malt undertone is there also. Some other dark fruits come to play as well.

T- Tastes a bit like the nose suggests. A slight amount of vinegar, and some sourness upfront runs into a nice blend of dark fruits. Plums and grapes mostly. The alcohol is well hidden, feels more like 5% rather then 8.

M- Light to medium bodied with high carbonation. The brew is somewhat coating in the mouth, sort of feels like drinking carbonated grape juice.

O- A highly drinkable beer. I enjoyed this this Flanders Oud Bruin, a nice introduction. I suppose this was a little less intense than a Flanders red, but I'm just getting my feet wet in the lesser known Belgians.

Goudenband from Brouwerij Liefmans