Parageusia5

From:
Tired Hands Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: From Christian Zellersfield: Parageusia5 is a Cabernet Franc barrel-fermented Ale that I brewed with oat malt and a bit of high-dried malt at Tired Hands Brewing Company. At this point, Parageusia5 is roughly twelve months old. The yeast used to ferment this beer is a melange of yeast cultured by Tired Hands Brewing Company as well as yeast and bacteria resident to Ardmore, Pennsylvania. I believe that people of this time may refer to my Ale as a "Saison" or perhaps a "Wild Ale". Archaic stylistic descriptions aside, this is an Ale that I find to be very engaging and enjoyable; Bone dry with intense red berry, watermelon, fresh bread, and hyper-earth notes. Also, it is suitable for indefinite aging into the future.

It was very important for me to design a series of beers available for the current market that accurately represented the level of sophistication and Future Rusticity that people of my time have come to expect from Parageusia. It is my hope and sincere desire that, through these collaborations with Tired Hands, we will build a more evolved level of beer appreciation in this time (the present) to prepare the people of Earth for the intensity of organoleptic refinement of my time (the future).

"Trigeminal prisim on a sunny hillside. Will you engage indefinitely?" - Christian Zellersfield
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 42
4.46/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dry and quenching beer. Drinks like a lemon/lime saison with some juicy pear notes throughout. Body has enough malt base to deliver some citrus notes from maybe some sort of hop character. Overall well done beer regardless of style category.

I love Tired Hands, but I was a little disappointed with Para5. It is a nice, balanced, and delicate wild ale, but I think it may have been a little too delicate. The flavor was very subdued and lacked the "intense red berry" notes from the description.

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I get the earthy notes off the nose. The color almost looks like fresh pressed apple cider. The body is extremely mellow and the finish is soft as a cloud. Ya feel me?

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

500 ml bottle poured into a 10 oz taster glass

Appearance: Pours a very dark reddish brown with less than a finger of an off white head that settles to a ring. Body dark, but clear when held to light.

Smell: Slightly roasty with lots of dark fruit. Black currant, red grape, prunes, and oak.

Taste: Oaky red wine, raisin, black currant, lacto and a very tiny amount of roastiness. Flavors are nice, but with almost a watered down, muted character. Sourness is low/medium.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with low/medium fine carbonation. Dry finish.

Overall: Another good one from Tired Hands, but definitely falls short of some of their best bottle releases. The more muted flavor detracts from what could have been a great beer. It's still good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.

2.82/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

375 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Deep brown with a nice khaki head. Smells acidic with some toasty malt and dark fruits. Strong dark malts make it quite bitter. Moderate sourness. Spices in the finish? What? Medium body. Medium carbonation. I'd say the dark malts aren't a great addition to this, but there isn't a ton of other flavor going on. The dark malts, while not very good, are the most interesting and prevalent part.

3.72/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I had a 4-oz pour of Parageusia5 at Aldine restaurant in Philadelphia for ten dollars. The entire bottle sold for $35. The pour looks good, brown and engaging, with a sizable head. But beyond that... an average sour, with a decent nose and adequate body, but barely a note to lift it from a sea of good sours. Nothing to write home about, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

After reading such great reviews on the previous iterations of this beer I was really excited to try this. It looked and smelled great but the taste just fell a little flat for me. Perfectly good sour but i was expecting more of a mind blowing experience.

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a glass. I made the mistake of trusting the validity of this series due to how wonderful P1, P2, and P3 were. This is lacking LSTF.

Parageusia5 from Tired Hands Brewing Company