Milkshake IPA - Watermelon

From:
Tired Hands Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: IPA brewed with oats, wheat, and lactose sugar. Conditioned on heaps of fresh watermelon puree and Madagascar vanilla beans. Hopped intensely with Mosaic and Citra. Dreamt up with our best pals from @omnipollo. Two classic summer flavors together harmoniously.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 24 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
JerzDevl2000 from New Jersey

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Got this in a trade a while ago as it was canned on 9/8 of last year (yes, I'm behind on my stash!). I loved the other Milkshake beers that I've had from Tired Hands but this one just didn't cut it for me. The flavors were odd, the mouthfeel was weak, and I'm not quite sure that watermelon and malt go together as well as peach and strawberry would!

Of course, the appearance was the best aspect of this beer as the hue was cloudy, apricot, and with a bit of sediment in it, which was clearly my fault and not that of the people who brewed it. Not a strong aroma as there was some watermelon, malt, funky Mosaic hops, and urine all in the mix. Much of the latter was in the taste as the body was weak but the overwhelming feel of sour melon was just too much for me. Hint of the lactose could be found here but I was hard-pressed to pick up the vanilla or any citrus juice that could have been the saving grace for this beer.

Thankfully, there wasn't a lot of alcohol here to further cloud things up. I'd still like to get one of these fresh but at this point, I just think that watermelon wasn't meant to be paired up with malted barley. Worth a go once just because there's nothing else like this out there - thankfully...

May 10, 2017
MilwaukeeBeerMaker from Wisconsin

1.6/5  rDev -60.7%

Put me in the apparent minority of people not feeling this beer. It was visually OK and aroma wise OK but then it fell apart for me. If they used the ass of the watermelon, then it was spot on but I thought the flavors were not good and it was a mess all the way down the throat. Would not be interested in having this again.

Sep 25, 2016
dar482 from New York

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The aroma offers watermelon Chapstick, orange, honeydew, juicy fruit, passionfruit.

The flavor follows of straight watermelon bubble gum, juicy grapefruit, medium bitterness, cotton candy, honey dew, surrounded by a creamy oated and wheated mouthfeel.

Aug 23, 2016
HopBomb515 from New Jersey

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, hazy golden orange hued pour with a medium white head and spotty lacing. Big melon and hop aroma. Notes of watermelon flesh, citrus, light grapefruit, vanilla and hop resin bite on the back. Soft, creamy, carbonated enough to make it refreshing and crushable, dry and clean. What shocked me most is this comes off first and foremost like an IPA. It's got hop bite, citrus, melon, and light vanilla all playing parts. Very nice summer beer.

Aug 03, 2016