ArtiSnale | Tired Hands Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Black with a nice khaki head. Good retention. Thick collar and nice surface wisps.

Smell - Strong roasty aroma. I might be imagining a briny aroma. Some licorice.

Taste - Roasty dark chocolate. Fruity flavors, like the licorice aroma. A little vinous. Bitter roasted malts in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Roasty bitterness.

Overall - Pretty good. I think the brininess is a result of suggestion, but whatever.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

ArtiSnale (artisnal) in a glass at the brew cafe in Ardmore.

Artisnale goes in the glass black, yet not jet black, this is just your standard black. Some dark brown suds up top, leaving no cling. The body looks on the thick side but drinks lighter than that. The smell is something different. I am not a snail guy, so I guess that's the odor I am getting here. Some cocco and roasted malt, maybe some hop presence. This is a weird one. Taste is fairly impressive, I would say this is in between american single and double stout in viscosity, the body is medium, the carb is low on the one, yet the beer is not dead, rather a smooth ride. Taste is a stout with snails, thats about all i can deliver on that end. I finished my glass, it's enjoyable, but not memoable but scores points for originality sake.

3.59/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer was the first unwaxed bottle released by Tired Hands. Originally a draft offering only, this batch was conditioned for an additional 6 months before being bottled in April of 2013. ArtiSnale is a strong stout brewed with spelt, specialty malts, Chinook hops, and escargot shells for a Gallic take on the oyster stout. It is then fermented with the house saison yeast. It was brewed in collaboration with Andy from Teresa's Next Door, and Brian from Stillwater Artisanal.

I poured this three year old beer into its proper glassware, the original Believer's Club stemmed glass. The carbonation held up very well, and a thick mocha head developed on top easily. The black body sits coolly in the chalice, and the head does leave some foam on the sides of the glass. Overall, a solid looking stout! Not much to complain about here.

Oh oxidation... Not sure what you can expect with an unwaxed bottle three years later. That's on me for sure. But my hope was that it wouldn't be so obvious. It does blend together with the aromas of the stout fairly well. It isn't completely ruined for me. The aroma carries a dominant sherry note, followed by chocolate, dark fruit, vinegar, and sour cherry.

The flavor has also taken a hit from time, with subtle wet paper notes. But it doesn't dominate at all. The flavor shows off all the different components fairly well, with a strong roasted quality from the specialty malts, a tangy, almost sour quality from the saison yeast, and an earthy salty quality from the escargot. The salty meatiness of this beer lingers long into the aftertaste. There is a definite smokiness to the beer as well, like a cured hard meat. The body is on the fuller side, but the carbonation is so effervescent that it lifts this beer off the palate and does wonders for lightening the body. The texture is almost spritzy, and the front end of the beer is sharp.

I can't say that I have had many Saison Stouts or Black Saisons, and this is definitely unique with the addition of escargot. I can only imagine what this tasted like fresh. I could do without the subtle oxidation, but I bet that this would pair well with some roasted vegetables, smoked meats, and charred steaks.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Served in an eight ounce glass at the brewpub, Artisnale is black in color, topped with a cream colored head that retains well. The nose opens with black roast, charred coffee, some musty salts/minerals, and dark pine hops. On the palate this thing really hits - it’s a big flavor, and a bit overpowering, with heavy charred elements. Burnt molasses. Minerals. Dark hops with a growing bitterness. Drinks harder than it’s abv. Appreciate the experiment, but not one I’d go for again.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

First had: on tap at the brewpub

Collaboration with Stillwater and Teresa's (Wayne, PA).

Interesting brew here. I wasn't totally sold on it, but it was interesting. Dark brown-black pour, dark reddish tints around the edges, with a nice medium-sized, creamy tan head; spotty lacing and decent retention that rejuvenated with a quick swirl. Aroma was fairly roasty with a interesting bitterness, and a definite ashy quality. The aroma was well reflected in the taste, moderate roast, ash, quite mineral from the addition of of escargot shells, similar to an oyster stout but not nearly as noticeable. A little bit awkward, and it took a while for me to really grasp the melding of flavors entirely. Mouthfeel wasn't as smooth as I like my stouts, about medium in body, maybe a little thin, but about what I expected. Decent overall, but honestly with all the other beers TH has to offer, I probably would not get this one again. Points for ingenuity though...I don't think I've ever seen a snail beer before.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast