Slava Oner | Tired Hands Brewing Company

Tired Hands Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
tiredhands.com

Style: Kvass

Brewed with over 25 loaves of our rustic house-made bread and soured for nearly three days. Hopped gently with Cascade.

Added by Rifugium on 11-16-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

On Tap at The Brew Cafe in Ardmore.

Slava is very light looking, body wise, color wise and alcohol wise, 3.5%. The color is a light shaded amber with a thin amount of bubbles on top, barely a cap. Not a lot of activity coming up from the bottom, swirls did not bring anything back, either way, it's beer. Smell is subtle with some rye, wheat, and some grass from the light hopping. I get a bit of grain as this warms up. Taste is subdued rye and some pale malt. Trace amounts of cascade hop flavor that barely reach me. Subtle green tea flavor and a bready aftertaste. Feel is light, this is the lightest bodied beer I have had yet at Tired Hands, just saying. A small tangy flavor on the end side.I was good with me 8oz's, did not feel the need for more. Not a bad beer by any means and interesting, but perhaps Kvass is not my thing.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

First had: on tap at the brewpub

Pretty crazy that they brewed a kvass, and I was pretty psyched about it, as I've never had anything of the style before, considering it's pretty obscure/obsolete these days. I'm not sure you could say this is an exemplary, traditionally made kvass--the alcohol is pretty high for the style, actually--but rather a contemporary attempt at recreating the style, while still making a beer that people will actually buy at the pub. So basically, this was interesting.

Straw-yellow pour, surprisingly good clarity (I guess I expected otherwise for some reason), and a small, dense cap of creamy white head that receded to a ringlet, and left dots of lace on the glass. The aroma was a bit distant, notes of toasted grains, and hints of citrus. The taste brings in a very nice tartness up front, light and manageable, not at all puckering, lemon, grapefruit, fresh pear, toasted bread, light rock candy sweetness; in the finish there was a bit of what I vaguely picked up as soapiness, which in another beer might indicate an off-flavor, but it wasn't offensive or intrusive here, just a mild sensation, probably a subtle bakers' yeast effect that I'm not used to tasting in beer. Light body, crisp and dry, mouthfeel was on the thinner side, but the tartness compensated, making this quite a drinkable beer overall.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last