Mago Tago | Tired Hands Brewing Company

Tired Hands Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
tiredhands.com

Style: American IPA

Progressively hopped with the all-mighty Simcoe. Conditioned on heaps of fresh mango.

Added by BARFLYB on 03-18-2013

4.2

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 265
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pale, pastel, yellow. Incredibly cloudy to the point of being opaque. Forms a modest fizzy white head. Light lacing. Smell is pleasant: lots of biscuit malt and lots of "dry" citrus hops with mango to a lesser extent. Also citrus, mango, and tropical fruit, but very light, crisp, and almost lemony. Taste is very crisp and dry. Citrus, grapefruit, grapefruit zest. Very light on body. Very dry.
Overall a bit disappointing. Was expecting a lot more mango out of this one, but its very dry and quite crisp as if all of the sugars had been fermented out of it. Nicely hopped and a decent beer, but was expecting more complexity with a beer that was more fruit forward. In the end, there were three of us drinking a growler and after a glass each, we all just moved on to another beer.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From 03/24/13 notes. Had a 16 oz. pour of this at the brewpub in Ardmore, PA and liked it so much I got a growler of it as well.

a - Pours a murky, pale orange-yellow color with two fingers of fluffy white head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fresh juicy mangos, citrus hops, pine hops, lemon zest, floral hops, tropical fruits, fruity malts, earthy notes, hay, and grass. The nose on this one is fantastic; tons of fresh mangos and tropical fruits, and tons of hops as well. Really great nose.

t - Tastes of fresh mangos again, tropical fruits, citrus hops, lemon, pine hops, fruity malts, yeast, spice, pepper, hay, grass, eathy notes. Mango isn't quite as strong as it was in the nose, but a ton of hops again and it is great.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. As with every other Tired Hands beer I've had so far, the body is super smooth and creamy. No bitterness; awesome mouthfeel.

o - Overall I thought this was a fantastic DIPA. This is the best Tired Hands beer I've had so far out of the 6 or 7 I've tried, and one of the best East Coast DIPA's I've had. Tons of fresh mangos and hops to it, and easy to drink. Loved it and look forward to having it again.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful cloudy apricot yellow, solid frothy white head.

Nose is loaded with sweet tropical fruit, pineapples and mangos, some dank hop character, mild bitterness.

Taste is very sweet and fruity, mangos of course, some honey, some floral notes, mild bitterness, fantastic.

Mouthfeel is very slick and juice like, good carbonation too though, very drinkable.

Excellent! Almost as good as The Light That Spills...

9.1/10

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This amazing beer and phishphorce inspired me to write my own review.

Had it on tap as well but this review is from my growler fill since it was a few days ago that I had it on tap.

A: Appearance is cloudy pale yellow/orange with a thin layer of head. It's an amazing looking beer. Assuming the wheat malt bill is what is making this beer cloudy in appearance. You cannot see through it at all. Nice lacing throughout the tasting. Wish I could post the picture I took of this beer.

S: Wow! One of the best smelling beers I've ever come accross. Definitely a ton of mango in the aroma, but I'm also getting oranges, citrus zest, citrusy hops. It's smells like a mango flavored orange juice with a nice subtle citrusy hop aroma. Don't think I've ever had a beer like this where I was smelling it before each sip.

T: All the same flavors I was getting in the aroma, but definitely getting more citrusy hops in the taste but still pretty subtle. It's just enough to add bitterness and let you know its an IPA. Think it offsets a little bit of the sweetness you get from the mangos. Definitely getting more mangos up front especially when it's cold, but as it warms the orange flavor takes over. Just a joy from start to finish. Such a juicy IPA, although not quite as juicy as The Light That Spills Out of The Hole In Your Head. Yes I know that's considered a pale ale. As with all of Tired Hands beers this one is smooth despite the reasonably high alcohol content (8%). I could drink this every day. Especially in the warmer months.

M: Lightly carbonated (perfectly) as are all of Tired Hands beers. Again super smooth on the mouth. Just feels great going down.

O: Tired Hands did it again. They were going for a Hoppy Mango Juice and they got just that. Absolutely amazing beer. Think it's 2nd to The Light That Spills, but I wish I could drink both on a regular basis. Hope this is brewed again when the weather warms, and hopefully one day it will be on tap with The Light That Spills. Would love to drink them both side by side.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This one is good enough that I had to write a review.

I love living 15 minutes from Tired Hands.

I got a growler filled and shared it 2 hours later.

Pours a hazy lighter yellow. Nice head small amount of lacing. Looks Heady topper hazy but a little lighter. I love the look of it because anything that looks like Heady has to be good.

Smell.- Awesome. Mango, orange, hops. Unbelievable. Almost perfect. If I had it on draft I imagine this would get a 5.0

Taste - When I drank my first drink I said wow. Its amazing. It probably deserves a 5. Tastes like orange/mango juice with hops. Sick sick beer Jean. This is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I could chug 2 growlers of this. No hint of the almost 8%. From start to finish this is the juiciest IPA i have ever had.

Mouthfeel - as usual They knocked the mouthfeel out of the park. Its creamy and just as most of TH beers the carbonation level is perfect. Even out of the growler its beautiful

Overall - Best beer Tired Hands has made to date by a good bit. Not saying that their other beers are not great this one is just that good. This and Handfarm are the 2 best beers I have had this year so far. I sound like a fanboy right now but I have not loved all their beers. I might have to get another growler tomorrow just in case this never shows up again in this beautiful form.

Thank you.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out as a cloudy yellowish orange color with a thin white head on top. Good sticky lacing but not much retention. The smell of the beer is hoppy, subtle sweetness and citrusy. The taste is sweet and fruity with a pungent bitterness I the finish. The wheat softens the mouthfeel of this beer while the hops dry it out. The carbonation is good. Overall it's a very good beer, well balanced and very refreshing.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured in a tulip very cloudy orange. Smell-mangos and more mangos with also some very faint rye malt. Taste -very bitter on the tongue with a good dose of pineapple,grapefruit peel and loads of orange peel nobreally mangoes in the taste ..bitter at first but one of the best smoothest IPA's I ever had the mango works very will the this brew no 7.8% at all

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap today at Tired Hands, 8 oz pour.

A - Very, very cloudy pale yellow/orange. Through a combination of hop haze and mango juice, you can't see through this one at all.

S - Smells like mango juice run through a hop Randall. Yes please. :)

T - Mangoes to the face! Seriously, an awesome citrus assault with a great hop profile. Not boozy at all at almost 8%, I could drink it all day.

M - Perfectly carbonated (as mostly everything on tap at Tired Hands is) with a stickiness from the citrus and hops. Think Heady Topper mouthfeel.

O - A damn fine beer, and probably my favorite Tired Hands IPA to date. Well done, Jean and Co.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip. Pours an extremely hazy...well... mango color. Bright white and fluffy heady after the initial pour. Leaves decent lacing throughout the tasting,subtle globs of goodness. But damn this is some hazy stuff.

Smell is mostly of sweet sugar and a nice touch of mango. Aroma hops are very bright and green here. Beautiful piney and fruity notes with a touch of lemon zest.

Taste is bitter right from the get go. So much it attacks the tongue immediately and leaves a heavy hop linger. Mango follows that up with a sweet sugary kiss on the finish.

Mouth is medium bodied, good carbonation. Good balance not to syrupy and not to watery just about perefect. Slight buttery slickness film left in the mouth.

I was a little hesitant on a fruity IPA but overall a solid offering from tired hands. A delicious hoppy and fruity mango ipa combo. Very sneaky ABV as well. It simply does not taste like a 7.8% beer.

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: growler from TH

Poured a sample into a Left Hand mini snifter...not sure why. Opaque peach-yellow color, like grapefruit juice, with a thin, foamy white cap of head; nice lacing. Aroma is simply mango-laden, with notes of citrus zest, hop bitterness. Fruity mango goodness in the taste, but it doesn't come through as good as it does in the nose; an obvious hop bitterness comes in shortly after, leaving no doubt that this is an IPA; there's also a slight underlying grassy touch. A well-rounded IPA overall, with any sweetness coming from the fruit, and the malts being almost undetectable. It's not a fruit juice, it's an IPA. Light-medium body, crisp, dry, easily drinkable. Very nice overall. Would make a great summer brew.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is delicious, the mango is there, but it doesn't overpower anything. Still some solid grassy hop flavor as well is a lighter citrus like lemon showing up.

a: hazy, can't see through this glass. its a light straw yellow, not that golden color you normally attribute to an IPA. solid lacing and a fading head that remains in small amounts the whole way.

s: mango, lemon, grassy, little sweetness. great nose on this beer.

t: like the smell, this beer is a not so bitter ipa lending some sweetness from the mango that pairs well with the hops. no malt. not that i notice at all.

m: carbonation matches the head, pretty low but it really does remind you of a juice with the taste.

o: i loved this...enough to fill three growlers. enjoying one now. not the most hoppy ipa ever, but its a very well executed idea. the mango and the mango flavor profile hops did well together.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

This is my first review, so I wanted to make it a special one. I think this is my favorite Tired Hands beer. It was absolutely delicious. Had on tap at the Brewery in an 8 oz pour.

A: It looks like a faded orange juice. You can't see through it at all. A light head with nice lacing and a little bit of retention.

S: Mango, a little bit of lemon zest, sweetness, and a little bit of hops. The mango smell is the main scent you get. It really smells fantastic. I spent about 30 seconds just sniffing it before I had my first sip.

T: The taste is like the smell. The first thing I tasted was fresh mango flavor, followed by the IPA . There isn't all that much bitterness, but you can tell you're drinking an IPA. Overall, this beer just tastes delicious.

M: Not overly carbonated. Smooth without any kind of burn. I don't get any of the 7.8% in this.

O: My favorite Tired Hands beer. I was lucky enough to get a growler of this and it didn't last more than a day. Its a shame I'll probably never get to have it again. I almost wish this came out in the summer, so I could drink this out on the porch.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at The Brew Cafe in Ardmore.

Mago Tago looks like juice, not the normal golden colored IPA, Tago has depth and a solid orange slightly bronze body. A firm head that is creamy and off white and clings very nice. The scent is Mango rich, some hop backing, orange and really no malt to speak of, guessing the mango addition phased that out. Not picking up any of that 7% in the nose. Taste is clean, rich and ripe with mango flavor, hop essence and not a lot of intrusion. The feel comes off really smooth, does not scorch the tounge with bitterness or over carbonation, goes down like juice. If this was a bit lower in ABV I could take down quite a bit of this stuff. Going to have to get this again before it kicks.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last