St.Oner | Tired Hands Brewing Company

Tired Hands Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
tiredhands.com

Style: American IPA

Our one year anniversary IPA! Brewed with rye, PA wildflower honey, and lime / meyer lemon / grapefruit / clementine juice & zest. Hopped with Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe.

Added by Rifugium on 06-02-2013

#933
Liked:
4.39/5
Alströms:

I have never reviewed a beer as a 5.0 but this beer honestly deserves it. This may well be the tastiest brew I have had out of over 2,000 beers.

The appearance is slightly "unfiltered" looking...aka "murky." Beautiful deep yellow color with a bright white head that quickly recedes. The smell is unreal. Amazing tropical fruits, beautiful and bright citrus and pine. Seriously, I have never experienced such an inviting smell off of a beer before. The taste completely matches the aroma and then some. The Simcoe, Mosaic and Citra hops with the citrus fruits seriously makes this beer just completely outstanding. I have had many delicious IPAs but this blows them all out of the water. The mouthfeel is perfect for the style...very light and refreshing.

Overall, this may well be in the top five if not the top beer that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Perhaps I am slightly influenced by the fact that I am drinking this beer as I am reviewing it...but wow. I am seriously blown away. Great job Jean and all at Tired Hands for this amazing treat. It is a great way to celebrate one year full of outstanding and memorable beers!

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

First had: on tap at TH

Wow?

Tired Hands 1st anniversary IPA, brewed with "rye, PA wildflower honey, and lime / meyer lemon / grapefruit / clementine juice & zest. Hopped with Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe."

Cloudy golden color with a finger of foamy white head that retained forever, and left sheets of lacing on the glass. Blast of citrus and citrusy hops in the nose, lemon, lime, orange (or clementine if you want to get technical), grapefruit, stone fruit, pine needles. More of the same in the taste, a citrusy hop sensation, all citrus fruits, zest, pulp, pith, all intact and bursting forth with goodness; lesser notes of pine needles, stone fruit, tropical fruit, distant pale malt sweetness. Light-medium body, soft mouthfeel, goes down incredibly smoothly, with a crisp drying bitterness. One of the best--THE best?--I've had from Tired Hands.

4.79/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Hazy and cloudy peach/golden orange body replete with a fluffy white head and ample lacing
S: Mango, pineapple, and oddly floral (e.g., hibiscus, tulips) nose
T: Bold tangerines, grapefruit, dragon fruit, papayas, and oranges - tropical ride from start to finish
F: Medium body with ample carbonation
O: This was an exemplary juicy hop bomb of a beer! From start to finish St. Oner, delivered one juicy citrus flavor after another in an incessant wave after wave approach. Overall, while I've long thought Tired Hands has delivered several phenomenal hoppy offerings, this one is clearly a cut above the rest and should be whispered in the same breath as TH's Green and Julius as well as all of Trillium's DDH offerings. Honestly this should be on the radar of hop lovers everywhere! Well done.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Graciously shared by Derek (Rifugium) and his wife last night.

The beer pours a hazy golden amber color with great head retention and considerable lacing. On the nose, this is just IPA heaven. There is an incredible aroma of peach, mango, apricot, light citrus and pine. I could go on smelling this all day (except the beer tastes nearly as good as it smells, so why deprive oneself), it's that exotic and attractive. The beer is nearly as good on the palate, with tons of tropical fruit, and with a soft mouthfeel that is just amazing. Despite all the exotic tropical fruit in this beer, the IPA is quite dry, with a long, soft, lightly bitter finish. This beer is incredibly well balanced, with the alcohol perfectly integrated into the flavor profile. There was no heat or heaviness on the palate (the beer actually comes across as quite light on the palate), and so drinkability is just exceptional.

I'd already had more than my share of beer after the Founders event at World Cafe Live, but I still asked Derek for a second pour after the first (I couldn't help myself). One of the best IPA's I have had in a VERY long time. This is just exceptional stuff. Very, very impressive!

As I left Derek's house, his wife (MsRif) was berating him for only getting a single growler, as we all but polished off the growler while I was there. I can't say I blame her one bit (shame on YOU Derek!). Fortunately, my understanding is that it should still be on tap today, so hopefully he was able to make it down for a refill (assuming he didn't stop by again last night). Yes, this IPA really is THAT good!

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I don't always review. But when I do, it's at the behest of my Dr. friend. Courtesy of his incredible self. Unmarked growler of heaven. Served in my Tired Hands wine glass.

A - Super hazy milky yellow brightness. Perfect thin wispy head. Tiny, tight bubbles.

S - And, it begins. The first thing that you get is the super dank hoppiness with a hint of sweetness. Melon and lime on the back end with ever so slight pine. The dank profile reminds me of HF.

T - Such bright, vibrant fruits. Lime, lemon, melon, like God's fruit cup. Perfect level of bitterness for the low malt profile. Finishes mostly clean on the back end with some lingering dank bitterness.

M - Light creaminess and an unobtrusive malt backbone. It's such a petty critique, but if it had a touch more full mouthfeel, it would be completely on point.

O - I really can't tell if this is the best beer I have had from them, or if Delicado was. But honestly, either way, these are two of the best hoppy beers I have ever had. This is just so incredibly well made. The beer is intricate and complex. This is a pinnacle of American hop brewing. Which makes me go back and think about the idiots that talked about extreme hops killing craft beer. They haven't had this beer, that's for damn sure.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

4.63/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.61/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at First Anniversary party.

Pours a milky, hazed lemon gold with a fluffy white head. Pleasant nose that balances sweet fruit and honey, citrus (lime and grapefruit peel) bitterness, and light spice. Flavor reminds me of Delicado and Life Without Principle 2, but with a bigger body and a drier finish with more lime, citrus peel and a light graininess. Medium full body, well carbonated, very refreshing and easily drinkable for the slightly higher ABV than expected. Lovely.

4.58/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

St.Oner from Tired Hands Brewing Company