Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sapporo Premium Beer | Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
Sapporo Premium BeerSapporo Premium Beer

Sapporo Breweries Ltd.
Japan | website

Style: American Pale Lager

No adjunct. All barley lager.

Added by IronDjinn on 05-28-2003

Reviews: 621 | Ratings: 2,043

This Sapporo is brewed in Toronto, CANADA and it is one of the best beers I have every tasted. Often I enjoy a light beer which is a no no to some beer lovers but I think that is ridiculous.

This beer is the most refreshing of beers. Everything a light beer should be but isn't.

4.85/5  rDev +68.4%

Hands down this is one of the best beers I have ever had. It hasn't received the best rating, but for for someone that is just getting into the beer tasting I found it very enjoyable. It was not overpowering or lacking in flavor, the head poured very thick at first, but no more than two fingers. I only gave it a 4.5 in smell because it could have used a little more aroma. Yet another I could add to my arsenal of regular beers.

4.73/5  rDev +64.2%

I love it! Really good beer. The appearance is golden with a lace that sticks to the glass. The smell is light but nice with a smell of grain and a light hint of hops. The taste is great with noticable hop taste. The mouth feel is smooth and helps it finish to a nice clean crisp refreshing beer!!

4.37/5  rDev +51.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a highly carbonated straw yellow color with a finger head of bright white foam that recedes slowly, beautiful.
Smells of bready malt, budweiser like due to the rice, some apple.
Taste is phenomenally well balanced for the price and simplicity, sweet malt, followed by biscuits and bread, then rice with a dry noticeable hop finish!
Mouthfeel, light,crisp and refreshing.
Overalo, fantastic beer for the style.

4.36/5  rDev +51.4%

I just compared this with the almost identically packaged "Original Draft Beer" imported from Japan. There IS a difference, and it does not favor this, the Canadian version.

That said, most reviewers are WAY too harsh on this beer. Do you think bread judges downgrade all white breads? Of course not. They disparage only the factory-made, mushy types of white bread like Wonder brand. Baguettes, made from white flour, represent the height of the craft. This brand of beer, my friends, is the sine qua non of super light, super dry lager beer. Now for the Canadian version:

Not as winey, tart or fruity as the "Original Draft Beer." On the nose it is reminiscent of cracked, sun-baked grains. The head is admirably persistent and doughy. On the palate: whistle-clean with simple, butterscotch sugars and a dense, dry flank of seasoned hops. Good clean fun.

4.3/5  rDev +49.3%

Big fan of oriental beers, and this is one of my favourites.

An nice, light colour, but little head and little lacing. Nice, light yeasty smell.

One of the best tasting lagers, Crisp and refreshing, packed with flavour, but dissapates quickly with almost no after taste.

This is a good hot day beer, perfect for those BBQ's and backyard pool parties. A great everyday beer.

4.15/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Clear gold brew with a decent white head.

Smell: Very clean aroma.

Taste: Smooth, clean character with just a touch of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Great body for such a clean brew.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. One of my favorites from Japan.

4.13/5  rDev +43.4%

pours brilliant bright golden yellow with a 2 finger head that fades fast and leaves no lacing

smells of sweet malts(rice?) and earthy hops

taste is bitter grassy hops and lemon citrus with the sweet grains toward the finish - reminds me somewhat of a german pils

mouthfeel is light crisp refreshing

drinkability is very good as of now - cheap beers give me a headaches so only time will tell here and will update if needed

i dont know why this beer gets a C rating because in a blind taste test with some pils i think this beer would stand stong

4.12/5  rDev +43.1%

Golden straw color, with a small head & so-so lacing, but a nice stream of fine bubbles. Nose has plenty of floral hop aroma, with a touch of sweet malt. On first taste, there's a small amount of malt up front, followed by a moderate-high amount of bitterness. Pleasant noble-hop flavor. Very clean & dry finish. Body is crisp and light.

This really could pass for a very nice German pils. It's far better than the Sapporo Reserve. I don't understand how other reviewers missed the flavor characteristics here.

4.1/5  rDev +42.4%

Imported from Canada, brewed in Guelph. 22oz can.
Crystal clear, deep yellow in colour. Fine white bubbles formed a thin coat on top of the beer and left a bit of clingy lace at the top of the glass. Moderate head retention. Mild aroma, crackery grain, a bit of marshmallow, light floral and fruit character, very clean. Low bitterness, mild grain and light fruity flavours, finished very dry with a hint of spicy hops. Light bodied, moderate carbonation, crisp and clean. Very easy drinking without any off flavours. Quite refreshing. A solid example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +42.4%

This beer has become a staple for my friends and I. Anyway, pours out a nice light yellow color, with a 1-2 inch frothy head. Nice. Smells of rice, and it smells very fresh. Oh man does this stuff taste good! Its got a nice light, smooth taste. Goes down smooth, nicely carbonated. Nice and full mouthfeel. I would of gave this one a 5 for drinkability, but since i find that the bottled version of sapporo tastes much better than the canned. So thats why i docked it .5. Anyway, this a great light beer, with 5% ABV, and its of high quality, and can really mix with almost any food! I HIGHLY recommend this one! Cheers.

4.08/5  rDev +41.7%

I'm drinking this beer as I'm writing this review, and I gotta say, it really pairs nicely with Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips. Deelicous.

A- Snagged this beauty out of ye olde beer fridge because the bottle is purdy. Not sure what the beer actually looks like, its going straight from the bottle to my blood-brain barrier.

S- I wanna say raw asian BBQ? makes me hungery

T- Pretty decent, has a good sort of bitterness to it that really accentuates the Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips.

M- feels like bleh. comparable to cheap domestic beers as for the feel.

Overalls- It doesn't say its a light beer, but it is a light beer. I mean i can see right through it. I'm typing right now looking through this beer and it aint gunna stop me.

4.08/5  rDev +41.7%

22 oz into glass.

A: Good. great lacing and head retention. Golden on color with good clarity.

S: Bit o' hop and malt with fresh grains to boot.

T: Bit o' hops and malts again. Nice for this style. Crisp and refreshing. Sapporo is Yumming soon!

M: Pretty good for this type of beer.

D: Went perfect with my meal. I've quaffed these before and they are very very drinkable. Its flavor says please drink more of me over and over again after first sip. "Please drink more! Please drink more!" the Sapporo cries. I say, "Otay."

4.03/5  rDev +39.9%

Can labelled as "Sapporo Imported Premium Beer" brewed in "Guelph, Ontario, Canada" -- assuming by Sleeman.

Straw color with a huge white head and very (almost overactive) carbonation. Balanced fruit, malt, and light adjunct aroma and flavor; much more micro-like than macro when compared to Kirin. Medium bodied with a nice balanced creamy finish.

A bit more expensive than Kirin Ichiban but worth it...

Per Can: "Since 1876" & "Japan's Oldest Brand"

Per Sapporo website: 4.9% ABV, 140 cal, 10.3g Carb, 1.4g Prot, 0 fat (per 12 oz serving)

'2604' Lasered on bottom of can
Tasted: 03/12/05

($2.99 / 22 oz. tall silver multi-faceted can)

4.03/5  rDev +39.9%

Almost pilsner like in experience which is great by me. For those that enjoy lighter bodied, bubbly, crisp beers this is a great choice. Not challenging or a hop monster (though this is on the hoppy side). This is pretty one dimensional... and this is a good one dimensional beer.
Fresh, clean, light and simple. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Light, clean and crisp! I have to say I'm very suprised by the taste and appearance of this beer. This is the first time I've ever had a Japanese beer let alone a rice beer (that I know of). It almost hints of a tripel ale. Very clean pour and clean feel on the tongue. I very highly recommend this beer!

on tap - I really like this beer. Decently bittered, and distinctly pilsner-malty. Clean and crisp this beer is very refreshing, and is a cut above the usual run of the mill light lagers. It's far, far, far better than the canned version which is thoroughly mediocre

3.98/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I was pleasantly surprised by this adjunct.

It poured smoothly, and the head was soft. It didn't have a predominantly strong smell, maybe ever so slightly hoppy but to claim it is hoppy would be stretching it. The taste, however, really was captivating. It wasn't bitter, but it wasn't sweet either. There was an excellent balance of malts and rice, and the carbonation really fills your nasal cavity with the flavor as well (which I think makes up for the mild smell before drinking it).
I have tasted Kirin Ichiban and Asahi Super Dry, and I have to say that Sapporo is the best Japanese beer I have tasted. (Granted I haven't had too many).

3.97/5  rDev +37.8%

Bottle poured into shaker pint

Two finger off-white head, good retention throughout consumption

Golden yellow beer

S: Rice, grains, malt, and light hops

T: Rice, malt, lager yeast, and hop bitterness

M: Satisfying, this is my new go to Japanese beer. Asahi does not do it for me any more.

Overall, seek this one out. You won't be sorry.

3.96/5  rDev +37.5%

Poured in a Pilsner Glass

Appearance- Brilliant Gold with a thin white head that sparkles with champagne like bubles in a cascade.

Smell- Notes of Citrus and Rice, what one would expect.

Taste- The rice makes the clean citrusy flavor pop on your tongue. It may not be terribly complex but it is clean, crisp and very refreshing like a fine albarino. The hops make a nice appearance in the aftertaste, but not enough to be to bitter.

Mouthfeel- The carbonation makes it bubble like champagne in your mouth. Pervasive and fully coating your mouth.

Drinkability- A spectacular beer for spicy food, and a no brainer pairing for asian flavors. I could down a six pack easily.

I don't know why people feel the need to hate on a perfectly tasty and drinkable beer. Just because it's easy going doesn't make it bad. If your looking for a good beer to take away the heat from a spicy dish. Or just something new, Try Sapporo.

3.94/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer looks crystal clear and a light gold with a smallish white head to it.

I found this to smell slightly sweet and a tad more skunky, reminded me of heineken.

Taste I really liked personally. I think it was the slightly sweet and more skunky taste that I love. Carbonation seemed like very little too much.

Mouthfeel seemed very clean like a lighter beer, carbonation felt a little more than I'd perfer. Doesn't make you mouth sticky and aftertaste doesn't linger too long.

I felt this beer seems like it would be a decent regular beer for me if I could find it for a cheap price. Goes down easy and doesn't fill you up too fast and it has a flavor that you can come back to easy enough. Nice friendly beer.

3.88/5  rDev +34.7%

Picked up a sixer to have with some take-out sushi. Poured into pilsner glass.

Appearance is of straw/gold. Nice head, but quickly fades. Carbonation is excellent and gives nice champaign appearance in the glass.

The smell is mild, a little sweet.

Taste is great. Nice and crisp, good balance between malt and hop. I always think of a pilsner when I drink this beer, but it never has any hint of "skunkiness," which is what makes this always refressing.

Great carbonation gives an excellent mouthfeel. Perfect paring with the sushi, soy, wasabi combination.

Overall this is a very drinkable beer, imo the best of the macro lagers, and one which I turn to quite often.

3.87/5  rDev +34.4%

Sapporo is probably the best beer when it comes to having a plate of sushi... fried rice... or any sort of Teppanese product. It has a nice smooth crisp flavor and not only that... It makes a great beer for being a digestif. I like this beer but I feel that Sapporo can do better.

3.85/5  rDev +33.7%

Appearance: 3/4 inch head, low carbonation, bright yellow in color, clear

Smell: toasted malt and grain..very clean smelling.

Taste: toasted malt and grain--slight hop presence at the end.

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, very light--borderline watery body, slightly sweet with a bitter/bland aftertaste.

Drinkability: I rated this to style. If I was not, take off .5 on each level at least. That said, this is a step up from most American adjunct lagers. A bit sweeter, very clean, and surprisingly decent. Not the first thing I would reach for, but certainly sessionable on a hot day.

3.85/5  rDev +33.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tumbler glass. It's been a long time since I've had a lager so I've been looking forward to trying Sapporo.

Appearance: Golden body with a small white head. Sapporo left light lacing on my glass.

Smell: I wiffed a skunky smell when I first opened the bottle, but when I smelled it in my glass it smelled slightly malty and had that refreshing lager aroma.

Taste: It was much better than I expected it to be. Much more malty than your average mass produced lager.

I expected Sapporo to be skunky like the few Chinese brews I've had have been but Sapporo overall left me impressed.

Sapporo Premium Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.