Yebisu The Hop | Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

good

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by davidchollar on 04-05-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.74/5  rDev +12%

Got this from a friend who brought it directly from Tokyo, Japan. The beer poured a nice golden straw color. The head formed up and dissipated like Budweiser. There was a mild hop aroma. The taste was mild and moderately hopped. There is enough hop flavor to say that hops were definitely used. The mouthfeel was crisp and light. This would be a great beer after mowing the lawn.

3.69/5  rDev +10.5%

When I happened to come across a beer with a name like this in a Hong Kong grocery store, of course I had to get it. Appearance was typical of the style, pale straw/gold, but with a nice head and decent lacing. Aroma was, true to packaging, nice: strong floral and spicy noble hop aromas. Granted my expectations were very low, but I was surprised by this one. Flavor was less impressive, but still decent and by no means objectionable in any way. Mouthfeel light-medium, good carbonation. Drinkability above average. Best macro Asian beer I may have ever had.

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

"The exquisitely refined aroma of this beer is from select fine aroma hops and aroma hops, yebisu yeast and slow maturation". This is from the can, I was surprised Sapporo didn't catch the repeated words (unusual for a quality-conscious company).

I can't say this version of a pilsner was hoppy enough for me, despite the name. I could definitely detect the malt base, and honestly this didn't seem too far from Yebisu Premium to me (which is presently my favorite Japan macro). But you should at least try it in Japan if you see it, as most of the Japanese beers (Kirin, Asahi, Sapporo) are too much like Bud or Miller for my tastes. Just don't expect a hops bomb.

4.02/5  rDev +20.4%

A - Looks like any other pale yellow pilsner, only the head is quite small.
S - Piney sticky leafy aroma, with nice chewy notes (kinda like Jever)
T - Nice bitterness on the side of my tongue, ganja-like leafy german hoppyness nicely balanced with a slightly sweet long lasting maltyness.
M - Full bodied for the style, medium carbonation.
D - Very nice for a Japanese macro, unbelievably nice.

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

The beer pours from the bright green can a very typical, but surprisingly enticing clear and light straw color. Actually quite brilliant with an attractive fluffy head, it's a good-looking brew to come home to after a long day. The can humorously advertises in that Japenglish way that I've become immune to: The exquisitely refined aroma of this beer is from select aroma hops and aroma hops, Yebisu yeast and slow maturation.

The description is funny, but the beer delivers. Nice, actually great smells for a macro. Hoppy enough, I think I can tell a difference between this and the standard Yebisu. This reminds me of Nagoya's Landbeer, Kinshachi Blue label pilsener, which is a wonderfully hoppy, crisp micro brew.

While I was impressed right away, the more I drink I think it's good, but not great. Mouthfeel, bitterness and finish, pretty much everything is just medium, average or a little better than average. It's definitely tasty. I can't wait to pair this with food, right now I'm trying it for the first time, by itself. I just wish the other Japanese macros would copy Kirin, who is making some nice macro ales. Sapporo, Asahi and Suntory seem to make lagers and near-beer only.

If you ever see it, try the Nagoya blue label pils I mentioned, I believe that one blows this away. As does the Inuyama pils, but that probably goes for pretty much any craft beer. But this is definitely better than almost everything being pumped out by Kirin, Asahi or Suntory. Kanpai! Recommended!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Yebisu The Hop from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.