Yebisu (Premium) | Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

Yebisu (Premium)Yebisu (Premium)

Alströms:
3.6

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

The 1 Pint bottle has particulates in it leading me to believe it to have some bottle conditioning. Pours golden with just a hint of amber to the color. The Head is thick and luxurious settling quickly to a fine lace on the glass with the faintest hint of tan color. The nose is reminiscent of very fresh and bitter hops. The nose released from the head is quite good. The 1st sip is malty and sweet. This is quite good. Malt with hops and a distinctive bitter aftertaste. Well balanced beer though the finish builds to a powerful bitter. But I like Bitter so Hoo Rahhh! Mouthfeel is like liquid silk. Verrrrry smooooooth beer. I am so happy I tried this one. Not quite a 5 but damn close - especially for an Asian beer.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First, a word about my high rating- the rating is relative to all lagers, not to all beer ever made. Second, review is of a made in Japan Yebisu.

Color- clear gold. Medium head quickly settling.

Aroma- mild bread and hops.

Taste- Clean, smooth, and refreshing. Finishes with a mild lingering dryness with hint of mellow citrus. A Lexus of lagers. Coworker from Singapore drove to Malasia 4 hours to hand it off to another coworker who personally fly this can to Austin.

Tasted May 2, 2010.

4.09/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I love having a local, in-person trader like tone77 who not only makes a far out trip to the Far East, but brings back some CANned beers for me in the process!

From the CAN: "Yebisu Traditional Brew"; "Yebisu Beer is a rich and mellow premium beer brewed from 100% fine malt and select hops with Sapporo's traditional art."

The previous beer made me a little nervous with its propensity to foam up and overflow, so I went with a more gentle pour on this one. It was still slightly foamy, perhaps due to heat and humidity, but it was under CANtrol all the same. Two fingers of rocky, bone-white head were the result and I watched it as it slowly bubbled and popped its way out of existence. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow and I could only laugh as Croesus, Mammon and King Midas fought for a drop. Nose was very honey-like, very much like a clean, unadulterated lager. From a CAN?!? I am already a fan. I CANnot tell you how many AALs in a CAN that I have been subhected to and it is never pleasant. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I caught a grassy hoppiness that made me think of a GER Pils, but I will buy Dortmunder. Finish was pretty dry, a real gem on this hot, humid day. I really liked the grassy finish and might CANsider it for a lawnmower beer CANdidate.

4.05/5  rDev +19.5%

Found this classic Japanese all-malt beer in a quaint little Japanese shop called Genki Mart (in Alderley, Brisbane). This is probably the first Japanese all-malt beer that I’ve gotten my mitts on. Now ‘all-malt’ is a bit of a nebulous term - all beer contains (or should contain) malt right? In the US it is used to distinguish beers that aren’t brewed with any adjuncts (corn, rice, basically anything that isn’t malted barley) however in the Japanese context it simply means that you’re drinking ‘beer’ rather than ‘happoshu’ [also beer] - which contains a malt ratio of less than 67% to avoid the dreaded ‘beer tax’... confused and slightly parched now? I know I am - so let’s dive right in - KANPAI TEME!!!

Poured from a 334ml bottle (odd bottle sizes again from Japan) into a stein.

A: Clear golden body, with a fluffy 1 inch white head and plenty of carbonation action in the glass. Quite Lagery I must say [indeed] why thank you sir [no thanks necessary sir] indeed sir. 7/10.

S: It’s a malty cereal invasion - this beer couldn’t smell more like Lager if it tried: Dry and without a skerrick of hops... welcome to Japanese beer! Aside from the obvious lack of hops there isn’t much else to speak of here - malty cereal invasion - sounds like a potential cartoon idea. 7/10.

T: Taste is quite clean - cereal malts, malty cereals, grains with a hint of - you guessed it: Malt... it finishes quite dry with a touch of honeyed sweetness that is lacking from most other Japanese macro Lagers. A hint of bread dough notes linger on the palate too. No hops detected (of course). The aftertaste is pretty clean and neutral - quite well-balanced as far as Lagers go. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a dense but slightly flat - because I left it sitting on the kitchen bench before opening it - carbonation. 8/10.

D: I would hate to say it, why? Maybe because this beer is brewed by a macro brewer: Sapporo - I hate macros yo, but this is one of (if not) the best Japanese Lagers I’ve laid my tongue on. It’s dry, smooth, well-balanced, and without that vegetal aftertaste that I find with most Lagers - and it pairs excellently with Takoyaki or Karaage. Overall if you’re seeking a decent Japanese all-malt beer experience you can’t go wrong with Yebisu... In fact I’m going to get a few more of these for my next Takoyaki cook-off, kore wa totemo oishi desu [or something along those lines]! 8/10.

Food match: Japanese food, natch!

4.01/5  rDev +18.3%

12oz brown bottle going for a whopping $2.79 a bottle. Yikes. Easily managed white head sits atop a golden bodied beer. Traces of sliding lace.

Well this is pretty damn good. Price per value could be argued negatively but it is good. Very smooth malts and the body is firm enough that it seems almost milky smooth. Small but effective bitterness. I pulled back a couple of these and wanted a third. Gobbly stuff.

Notes: If the price was right this could be a staple sessioner in the beer fridge but at roughly $18 a sixer I'll pass.

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%

Golden colour with a large fluffy white head. Floral aroma with sweet honey. Some caramel and honey in the flavour. A very decent malt profile, that had hints of Dead Guy to it (but with far toned down hoppiness). Medium body with lighter than expected carbonation. This is a very decent offering from a macro, and probably the best beer I've had from a major producer.

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours out to a copper with a small head that subsides quickly into a half-finger head.

Smell is sweet, hops are very very faint to nonexistent.

Taste was rather surprising. Very sweet, lightly malty beer with a pretty clean finish. Hops are very light and do not overpower the taste.

Mouthfeel is much better than your run of the mill macro. Much less carbonation and thicker consistency make the beer quite enjoyable.

Drinkability is pretty high on this one due to its lightness. I'm quite surprised by what I thought would be just your average lager!

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

Golden colour, white head with partial and down-sliding lacing.

As it says on the label, aroma is mostly pleasant malt with some floral character. Flavour is similiar with rich malt and bittery finish, maybe with some sourness on the back. Overall, very drinkable and refreshing, very good for the mainstream beer.

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Imo this is the best mainstream Japanese beer. Smooth, easy drinking and it actually has flavor (compared to other mainstream Japanese beers). Just wish I had an easier time finding it Canada.

3.89/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

I had this on a JAL flight to Tokyo today. I don't think it's marketed to America in great (if any) numbers, so I took the chance to try it.

The appearance was really good, surprisingly good lacing on the glass and nice dry-looking foam in general. The aroma is neutral malty, pretty good. The flavor was all malt, nice for the style. Very drinkable, I had two in quick succession.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Firstly, I find it odd that the bottle of Yebisu I'm about to taste was brewed and bottled in Tokyo, yet the bottle of Sapporo Reserve I had earlier came from Canada. Odd, but that's business I guess, so OK....

Yebisu is an all malt beer and that's reflected in the color. It's a deep golden, and crystal clear. I can almost see my fingerprints through the glass, and fine bubbles rise steadily to the surface indicating that there's some sort of body there to keep them at that pace. The short but creamy head holds for a few short moments, receeds, and then thins to a whispy surface covering, leaving behind only minor spots of lace about the glass.

The nose expresses sweetish grainy malt and bright, floral and lightly spicy and woody/herbal hops.

In the mouth it's medium bodied with a creaminess as the beer warms and foams. It's delicately tingly, then creamy. Smooth.

The flavor is very much as the aroma indicates, and it's surprisingly bitter at about 35 IBU's - somewhere along the lines of a German pilsner. So that's what you get here, more malt, more hops, and more bitterness than usual. Is it worth it? Yes, I think it's a really solid lager with a firm malt base, interesting hop flavors, and a rigid bitterness backing it. It's anything but a mass-produced adjunct lager. It finishes clean and dry with a lingering bitterness and some herbal and floral hop character.

Very nicely done! Certainly worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a golden straw color with a decent white head that sinks quickly and lots of yeasties floating around as I didn't know the beer was bottle conditioned when I was pouring it. Slightly sweet malt smell with a husky grain quality to it. The beer has a very dry and grainy start to it that makes it rather refreshing and quenching. The brew retains this excellent dryness until a short and sweet malt burst at the end comes through. It is then back to the dryness for the slight lingering finish however. The graininess provides a very dry and crisp mouthfeel which makes the brew very refreshing and very drinkable. I can imagine that this would go excellent with sushi and other japanese foods.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Looks pretty much like any fizzy, golden-yellow beer. The head lacks density, though, and thins out quickly before disappearing

Grass, grain, and a little bit of citrusy hop zest in the nose. Dry, grassy, malty, with just enough Saaz-like hop spice and a nice, lingering hop bitterness on the tongue.

Dry, crisp, and refreshing, with a strong-enough malt body to keep it interesting for an easy-drinking pilsner. Hands-down my favorite mass-produced Japanese beer.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

I didn't even know this beer existed until last night at a sushi restaurant. The label caught my eye: "all malt" making it unusual for Japanese beer. I tried it and was very pleasantly surprised. It's darker in color than other Japanese lagers. The hop aroma is actually fairly strong and the malt smell is there too. It's has a pleasantly sweet taste and is not as dry as other Japanese beers. This is a surprisingly good beer. Seek it out next time you're out for sushi.

Yebisu (Premium) from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.
Beer rating: 26.4% out of 100 with 174 ratings